F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like when you keep thinking you should back-up your hard drive, and then it crashes and you still haven't.. - you keep thinking you should get a spare key fob made, and then it gets lost and you still haven't.. 🤦‍♂️
I have lost my only key fob for the truck (long story, but luckily the truck's at home) and the dealer is quoting around $600 for the replacement.. thought about online options but not sure how feasible/reliable those would be...
any advice highly appreciated, thank you in advance!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
You dont have two factory keys?

You will have to have the dealer do it and also remove the the existing key from the truck PCM data. If someone finds it, right now it could open your truck. If removed from the system it cannot, however hard key could still open the door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi everyone! I haven't checked in for a while, been busy with researching options and getting new keys sorted....
It's all good now, we're up and running again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyways, just wanted to share my research and conclusions should anyone find themselves in a similar context...
here it goes:

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, there are three options:
  1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is the number we used (it's a company that has many locksmiths in many different locations, so they got us one in our area): 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
  2. Tow the car to the dealer.
  3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
there's some more info on these here:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, you need to have some important information ready so they can check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
  • Year, make and model of the car
  • Your exact location, including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
  • VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important!
  • Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had. There are 3 main types:

Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive to replace. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend or not, etc etc. Again, there's some more detailed into on here, if needed: 2020 Car Keys Replacement Cost - All The Information You Need To Know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bit of a long post it was, but I thought my efforts in finding a cheaper key replacement solution shouldn't go to waste, and maybe someday it'll help someone avoid some of the trouble I got into with the whole loosing the keys ordeal...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Does anyone know of you can use a key from another f150 and program it to your truck via forscan? Family member's truck was sold two years ago, we just found the keys.
Both trucks are 2013
Two factory key fobs for mine, two key fobs from family member's truck.

·
Banned
1 Posts
anyways, just wanted to share my research and conclusions should anyone find themselves in a similar context...
here it goes:

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, there are three options:
  1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is the number we used (it's a company that has many locksmiths in many different locations, so they got us one in our area): 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
  2. Tow the car to the dealer.
  3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
there's some more info on these here:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, you need to have some important information ready so they can check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
  • Year, make and model of the car
  • Your exact location, including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
  • VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important!
  • Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had. There are 3 main types:

Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive to replace. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend or not, etc etc. Again, there's some more detailed into on here, if needed: 2020 Car Keys Replacement Cost - All The Information You Need To Know
Thanks for the information! very useful
how much did you end up paying for this?
How long it took them to make you a replacement key?
Did you buy the key online or they provided the key as well?
Sorry for all the question, just found myself in similar situation
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information! very useful
how much did you end up paying for this?
How long it took them to make you a replacement key?
Did you buy the key online or they provided the key as well?
Sorry for all the question, just found myself in similar situation
Thanks for the help!
It took them about 40 min to get there and another 30 min to make the key including coding, they provided the key, very nice guys and good service! Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts