F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 f150 ecoboost unleashed performance tune plugs have 10k on them tune has been on it since last summer. Recently installed catted dp and exhaust logged it to have Torrie look it over. Cyl #1 had 2-4 degrees of kr throughout my wot pull all other cylinder where at zero. Seems to run fine no audible knock. Anyone had issues with this?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It's likely false knock. Could even be an exhaust leak. Many members here suffer from dreaded false knock. I deal with them all the time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
yup my #1 is always showing knock, but i dont think its actually doing any. I have scoped the cylinder and it looks good. I have switched from global knock to individual and it has made my truck so much more enjoyable.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's likely false knock. Could even be an exhaust leak. Many members here suffer from dreaded false knock. I deal with them all the time.
Yeah before downpipe and exhaust didn’t have any knock. Can it learn knock? Seemed like soon as I put my foot in it even before full boost was showing kr but only on that cylinder

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
When my customers have issues with false knock, we switch to individual and see what is having a problem.

It does have a knock learning strategy, but it's based on what it thinks is real knock. This is part of the OAR system. More knock learned means worse OAR because the PCM is set to adjust to octane from the factory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my customers have issues with false knock, we switch to individual and see what is having a problem.

It does have a knock learning strategy, but it's based on what it thinks is real knock. This is part of the OAR system. More knock learned means worse OAR because the PCM is set to adjust to octane from the factory.
Should I be asking Unleashed to set tune to individual instead of global? When I talked to him about this issue he said it was not common and that if it wasn’t misfiring on that cyl probably fine. Wasn’t really answer I was looking for but it is what it is I guess.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

Will the truck make more power on individual KR? It lets each cylinder advance as much as possible as opposed to cutting back all cylinders based on one?

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Have you tried adding 1-2 gallons of e-85? I know most tuners are against that but that would help narrow down fuel quality.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the truck make more power on individual KR? It lets each cylinder advance as much as possible as opposed to cutting back all cylinders based on one?
Yeah I’m curious about this also because to me kr is kr but I’m more familiar with ls tuning not ecoboost

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
In theory if it only pulls timing from 1 or 2 of the offending cylinders, the others are getting more spark advance and should be making more power.

I use this mostly for troubleshooting with customers at first, or on those problematic false knock trucks that feel like dogs because one cylinder wants to be a brat and always pull timing. I actually have been running individual on my truck for about 3 years now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In theory if it only pulls timing from 1 or 2 of the offending cylinders, the others are getting more spark advance and should be making more power.

I use this mostly for troubleshooting with customers at first, or on those problematic false knock trucks that feel like dogs because one cylinder wants to be a brat and always pull timing. I actually have been running individual on my truck for about 3 years now.
Noticed today sounds like that side might have a manifold leak so might need to check it out. Have had some fumes inside truck when I remote start prob for last month but haven’t really though much of it 🤣

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tightening up downpipes was my exhaust leak. Put stock tune back on still has kr. Anyone know if individual kr shows up on cyl 1 when tune is setup as global? Even part throttle kr would only register on cyl 1

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yup, im in individual knock from BK. #1 cylinder is the only one that shows false knock. i have watched all the other cylinders and they are healthy and happy. Just driving around I will see -4 to -6 knock. At WOT it usually jumps inline with the rest of the cylinders. But part/light throttle/light load. Lots of #1 cylinder false knock. Heck BK had me put E30 in the tank and we tried a stock tune file on individual and it still showed false knock on #1.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Yup, im in individual knock from BK. #1 cylinder is the only one that shows false knock. i have watched all the other cylinders and they are healthy and happy. Just driving around I will see -4 to -6 knock. At WOT it usually jumps inline with the rest of the cylinders. But part/light throttle/light load. Lots of #1 cylinder false knock. Heck BK had me put E30 in the tank and we tried a stock tune file on individual and it still showed false knock on #1.
I wonder if tweaking the timing on the individual cylinder would do anything or if it is truely false knock and wont go away. I see in the stock tune Cyl 1 and 6 are the only two with timing modifiers on them but only at higher rpm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I have no Kr normal driving other then a few blips when converter locks. Kr is always WOT but only registers on cyl 1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if tweaking the timing on the individual cylinder would do anything or if it is truely false knock and wont go away. I see in the stock tune Cyl 1 and 6 are the only two with timing modifiers on them but only at higher rpm.
To experiment I might turn stock tune to individual see how it reacts. Boost timing and afr was lower on stock tune yet kr was the same or worse then Torrie’s tune. Coming from LS tuning this individual vs global timing thing is strange

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
To experiment I might turn stock tune to individual see how it reacts. Boost timing and afr was lower on stock tune yet kr was the same or worse then Torrie’s tune. Coming from LS tuning this individual vs global timing thing is strange
The stock tune has a cylinder pressure limiter that was limiting timing in my truck with just 91 octane. When it was hitting the cylinder pressure limit it was zeroing the KR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts