F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Erick's shop installed my 58mm turbos on Friday. I have a 2012 eco with 93 tune and a few other goodies. We got a base tune in it for the weekend so I can drive it around. Going back hopefully tomorrow to put it on the rollers and then do some street data logging. I will post before and after numbers from the dyno to see real results. He dyno tuned it about a month ago with a custom 93tune. So, this will be showing only the turbo upgrade. I am expecting it will be over 80hp at least. Truck drives and responds amazing! Just partial throttle and it screams! Best part is, truck looks and sounds stock. Perfect smooth idle. Crazy how these trucks can make this kind of power and be so tame. I have had many high power cars that cam lope the body, exhaust drone in the cabin, and just down right beasty. Not that I dislike that but this makes a great daily driver, and a hell of a sleeper. Took a few cars over the weekend by surprise. So, look forward to the results and thanks for the quality work!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, what we learned... My coils are weak. Guess that's what you get with 70k miles. Over 5500 rpm, we get spark blowout .
Will try again soon.. To be continued!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting on some new coils to try out and time. Coils should show thursday. Work is about to get slammed,
But hope to get in before it does.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't think Eric would ever do a turbo up grade without new plugs at least,lol....so yeah coils makes sense....
so how long did it take to get everything installed ? ...
what about fuel system upgrades ..injectors coming ,or just fuel pump ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I dropped my truck off on Thursday afternoon for the tear down. He was at the shop early for 3 bar, plugs, and a minor to do list I left him. The turbos arrived via ups around 1, I was there to "supervise" only. I did push him to start before parts arrived. Told him it didn't matter if something was delayed.
Truck was done around 4. The guys know the install well. I am a bit paranoid having anyone work on my truck, so I stuck around. It truly was pro.

No need for fuel system upgrade yet. I am running 93 and meth. The fuel system is not being taxed like an e30 tune would. With meth, the fuel system is not the weak point.
I think replacement injectors are d.o.a. Bad things going on with them. A L.E.T. supplemental injector system is in the works...<hope that wasn't a hush hush>
I see the next weakness being the coils. We are waiting on some prototypes to show up and test on my truck vs stockers. <again, hope that wasn't hush hush>
To keep the motor safe over 22psi then the next weak point is studing the motor. Not sure I will take that leap just yet. Prefer to push the plug gaps open with new coils,
and produce a few extra ponies. We did match top hp numbers on the dyno even with the over 5000rpm cutout. I will not post the numbers or results until he has a solid run.

With the new turbos, plugs are a must. I think he will probably recommend new stock coils at min. if the truck is higher miles like mine. Remember, this truck has 75k miles on it.
With the current tune, the truck pulls like a beast mid range. I absolutely love the turbos and can't wait to crank them up! I will stop by his shop again today and bug him about the coils,
maybe they have shown. Not sure he or I will have time to mess with them yet, but again I will update.

I am overly amazed at the Ford progress over the years. I have worked
on every generation of mustang and ford truck built. Yes, even built some old school rods. Blows me away what a stock internals, stock trans, stock rearend will handle. I am sure I will break
something... but so far... nothing! Well, except maybe the a/c compressor....but that was my fault, not Fords.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Installed new plugs when the turbos went in. Gapped pretty tight so... Coils
Sub'd

Please let us know what your resolution is for your coils.

I think my coils are due for replacement, I'm at 60k on the odo. with original coils. Looking at the aftermarket options out there, just don't know of anyone who has tried them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Can you describe to me what spark blowout feels like? I think it's happened to me a few times during near WOT runs.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
For me it's like what Rodney describes. At 5500 rpm or so at WOT truck looses power and you can hear and feel misses as the engine starts to run rougher.

For me only happens at full WOT and not every time. If I lay off the throttle even just a little bit off WOT there is no missing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Think of it as a high RPM miss fire caused by a weak coil...sometimes it feels like it's dropping a cylinder...IT REALLY JUST A FANCY TERM for having a weak coil...normally most of the the same coils would run just fine in a totally stock motor...

it can be hard to diagnose by just driving it on the street.The only way to know for sure is either be a parts changer ,and just swap individual coils till you fine the weak one and it drives fine or use either a oscilloscope to watch the coils firing,or use a good scan tool,and count the miss fires on each cylinder to determine which coil is weak,or not strong enough to handle the added boost over stock....

It would be nice to have some really nasty big aftermarket coils,or a dual coil set up,making a big thick spark ,and be able to open the plug gap back up again ,allowing the motor to make a few extra horse power,lol....greedy get all you can...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My truck has this full throttle miss now so I usually don't keep the pedal mashed. My plugs are old though so I haven't given it much thought. I'm getting new plugs with my new turbos next month so we'll see if the miss goes away... :cool:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've been looking at that those weapon x coils for a while, but man are they pricey. Been waiting for someone to try these out before I drop that kinda coin on them.

If they are all their supposed to be I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred more on them over another set of stockers.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts