F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word to those who don’t know... if you are having issues with your F150 downshifting while driving, please submit a claim to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA). Ford recalled some 2011 and 2012 F150 because of this issue based on the NHTSA mandate but the only recalled those made at a certain plant on a certain day. We had the exact same problem with our F150 but it was not part of the 2015 recall do we filed a complaint with NHTSA. Don’t risk your life, file the complaint.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Here is my link below.

Mine would do the exact same thing. Very dangerous and scary to have your truck randomly downshift to 1rst from 5th and lock the tires up at 55mph. I have had the lead frame replaced twice in 100k.

It’s terrible how they get away with only a recall on certain trucks, especially when so many trucks in the same year are affected by this same issue.

Please report this problem to the link above! If you had this happen to you.

The boost is having trans problems.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=56890&share_tid=58713&url=http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58713&share_type=t

2012 screw 3.5L

·
Registered
34 Posts
waterbuffalo I was unfortunate enough to have this problem two weeks ago while blasting down a very busy interstate at 75 mph. Man it was scary - wheels slid for a second or two and made a semi swerve to miss me. I'm very glad I didn't have my wife and kids with me or have the camper hooked up... I imagine with the camper on there would have been more damage and it might have pushed the rear out to one side or the other. The dealer was very responsive (as they always are) and replaced the lead frame, put in 10 quarts. Said they saw a code leading to a TSB fix.

My question is, (to you and anyone who has had this problem) was the lead frame the only item necessary to fix the problem completely? I've heard the rear output speed sensor can cause problems also, and how the hell can a guy trust his truck after that while pulling a camper with family on board on a road trip!!! Just looking for feedback on how your issue resolved.

BTW - I love, love my truck but damn I've fixed quite a few things over the years... IWE's, left front brake excessive wear, driveshaft/u joint rattle, fuel in oil, and I still have random ABS activation when turning over uneven surfaces...

·
Registered
951 Posts
waterbuffalo I was unfortunate enough to have this problem two weeks ago while blasting down a very busy interstate at 75 mph. Man it was scary - wheels slid for a second or two and made a semi swerve to miss me. I'm very glad I didn't have my wife and kids with me or have the camper hooked up... I imagine with the camper on there would have been more damage and it might have pushed the rear out to one side or the other. The dealer was very responsive (as they always are) and replaced the lead frame, put in 10 quarts. Said they saw a code leading to a TSB fix.

My question is, (to you and anyone who has had this problem) was the lead frame the only item necessary to fix the problem completely? I've heard the rear output speed sensor can cause problems also, and how the hell can a guy trust his truck after that while pulling a camper with family on board on a road trip!!! Just looking for feedback on how your issue resolved.

BTW - I love, love my truck but damn I've fixed quite a few things over the years... IWE's, left front brake excessive wear, driveshaft/u joint rattle, fuel in oil, and I still have random ABS activation when turning over uneven surfaces...

@Cornfed. Man!!...That sucks you have had that much bad luck with your truck.

I know what you mean about the potential problem this could cause for yourself, including people that have no idea your truck will just lock the tires up, with no warning. I had a school bus almost ram me in the you-know-what.

I know they replaced the bulk head connector, on mine. They said they updated the plastic on it, so it wouldn’t crack. The lead frame and speed sensor might be one piece (not sure), and they changed out the fluid, filter, and a new gasket.

I don’t think it takes 10quarts like you said, they did.

You should file a complaint about it.

They did have a TSB on it, but only a few, I say only a FEW have this covered. Which to me is BS. I would like to see what and how many trucks were actually covered by this problem?

2012 screw 3.5L

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 2011 is in the shop for this right now. They are hemming and hawing about doing the Lead frame replacement under warranty. They did the Body control module update that is supposed to ignore the signal cutting out from the VSS, and wanted to wait to see if it needed it. I am at 115k - the extended warranty for the repairs only lasts until 150k.

Downshifting at 65 in the rain into 1st will straighten out your short curlies.

I did have to put the stock tune back on and drive it for a bit before - I dont do that much. So it does make me appreciate the tune again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No kidding. Hope it works out for you. I haven’t had a problem since... and it is sad, indeed, to operate without the tune once you get used to it

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
What about damage to other drive train components when this occurs at highway speed? can't be good for the driveshaft joints and rear end, etc.

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
223 Posts

Based on your sig your truck is a 2013? The TSB lists only 11 & 12. What's the build date on your truck?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Got my truck back today, only downside so far is that it changed my strategy code so now none of my tunes work. Have to pay to have them updated.

On the bright side, it gives me incentive to try another tuner.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was able to film my speedo cutting in and out while driving around town. When the speedo cut out, the truck immediately down-shifted, and then wouldn't shift. Restarting the truck usually cleared it. Luckily I didn't do a lot of highway driving. I brought the truck to a Lincoln dealer (I burnt the bridge at my local Ford dealer), showed them the video and the TSB, and they replaced the lead-frame under factory warranty (I was still under 5yr/60k). They also changed the tranny oil filter since they had the pan off for just the cost of parts. I've been good now for 30k miles since the service was done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco Screw and the speedometer started acting funny about 6 weeks ago. I was towing a 28ft camper down the highway and my dash went blank, the truck seemed to be stuck in 5th gear, only the RPM gauge worked correctly. I pulled over as soon as I could, restarted the truck and everything came back on as normal. Roughly another 30 minutes into the trip it did the same thing. After the weekend I brought the truck to the Ford dealer who verified it was the Lead Frame and would replace it under warranty ( which I thought was odd that a 2012 with 177K had any warranty left in 2020). It could not be repaired that day, part was on back order. I asked if the truck was alright to drive and I was assured everything is fine. Fast forward three weeks later, I am on a rural road with Kids and wife in truck when it abruptly down shifted from 6th to 1st at 80km/hr! The rear tires did lock up for a brief moment and I wrangled the truck to the side of the road. A group of 12 motorcyclist were behind me at the time and narrowly missed my rear end! TRUCK IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE. If i was towing the camper when this happened on a busy highway it would have been a very bad scenario.

I have my service records and I do see that in May 2019 the same dealer performed Recall 19S07 Power Train Control Module Programming, however one year later this incident still happened.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco Screw and the speedometer started acting funny about 6 weeks ago. I was towing a 28ft camper down the highway and my dash went blank, the truck seemed to be stuck in 5th gear, only the RPM gauge worked correctly. I pulled over as soon as I could, restarted the truck and everything came back on as normal. Roughly another 30 minutes into the trip it did the same thing. After the weekend I brought the truck to the Ford dealer who verified it was the Lead Frame and would replace it under warranty ( which I thought was odd that a 2012 with 177K had any warranty left in 2020). It could not be repaired that day, part was on back order. I asked if the truck was alright to drive and I was assured everything is fine. Fast forward three weeks later, I am on a rural road with Kids and wife in truck when it abruptly down shifted from 6th to 1st at 80km/hr! The rear tires did lock up for a brief moment and I wrangled the truck to the side of the road. A group of 12 motorcyclist were behind me at the time and narrowly missed my rear end! TRUCK IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE. If i was towing the camper when this happened on a busy highway it would have been a very bad scenario.

I have my service records and I do see that in May 2019 the same dealer performed Recall 19S07 Power Train Control Module Programming, however one year later this incident still happened.
Well that's disappointing to hear. Glad everyone is okay. Thanks for posting your experience, I was feeling like this was pretty much fixed with the recall, but I guess we should be "on guard" regardless.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,338 Posts
This is very very old news. Ford extended warranties for leadframe in case anyone needs it replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is very very old news. Ford extended warranties for leadframe in case anyone needs it replaced.
It should not matter if it is old news or new news. It is a safety flaw that should be corrected by the manufacturer before it causes an incident. What good is an extended warranty if you wrote your vehicle off in an accident, or worse injured someone.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,338 Posts
That's why they issued recalls !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Perhaps you did not read my original statement correctly. My truck did go through recall 19S07( reprogram PCM) as per the Canadian recall. However, the vehicle lead frame still failed a year later (2020) causing the downshift at highway speed. The ford dealer only acknowledged the issue after the incident already happen (not how recalls work). I am pointing out the fact that if you have this truck and went through the same recall you are still at risk of unexpected downshift. The Canadian recall appears to be different then what happened in the U.S. That's why Transport Canada (the Canadian version of NHTSA ) has reopened an investigation to see if this version of the Canadian recall was the appropriate response from Ford.

That's why we have open forums to share information.

Thank you for your response

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Usally what causes the downshift though is the OSS, out put speed sensor fails, the PCM then has no speed signal and think truck is parked so it downshifts to first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts