F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this might be a new one. I may have warped my CRP manifolds on my 2014. It sounds like they are leaking, but very mildly. I towed about two weeks ago, nothing crazy, and then today I coasted down about a mile long 7% grade while engine braking. At the bottom of the hill i had to turn right onto a 65mph road and floored it. I heard a brief chirping and my heart sank.

It would not do it again no matter how hard i jumped on it until I coasted, again engine braking in 4th and 5th, down another big hill for a few minutes and floored it at the bottom.

I got the bore scope out and poked around and all of the studs are in place as well as the 3 bolts for each turbo. I am wondering now if maybe they loosened up.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, i would have never discovered this if it were not for this completely random loop i drove. Normally, at this intersection I would go straight or left and would have a light and accelerate like a normal person would.

We went for a bike ride just up the hill from the light and had to head up to Park City after to swing by Home Depot. I was making a right on red and had to floor it since traffic was moving at 65+ mph. It was just a coincidence that i had just coasted down the hill, cooled the engine off, and floored it. Not something you typically need to do.

I mean maybe its not an issue. IDK. I really don’t wanna do this job again.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Hopefully it’s not the actual issue. But if it is, personally I would pull them, have them machines flat and re-install with SS ARP or Ford Studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,190 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it sounds like you're not sure but if you think its the manifolds, tighten down the nuts and see if it is fixed first lol
No, im 99% sure it is. The manis make a pretty unique noise.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had my passenger CRP manifold warp on me. Replaced and so far so good, CRP was very accommodating

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I would crank down the nuts and see if that is good. I remember it is a hard to get a socket on a few because the socketwall hits the manifold body

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I couldn't get a small socket on mine, not even 1/4". I tried three different ones, I ended up using a crows foot on a long extension. So far the crickets are being kept at bay.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the truck out this morning and flogged it pretty hard right after a cold start(i know, i know). Doesn't make a peep.

Apparently it only does this if I engine brake for an extended amount of time, then floor it. I'll try to retighten the nuts, but unless it starts doing it more, I am not gunna worry about it right now.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled all my intake and hot piping today. I just dont know if its even remotely possibly to tighten all of the nuts without pulling the turbos.

·
Super Modistrator
2,282 Posts
I’m not looking at it so I have no idea, I’m just throwing this out there. Snap-On 1/4” swivel sockets will get into places I would never dream possible. The standard ones have a short socket and their swivel mechanism takes up hardly any room. They are not cheap but you probably only need one size. Just sayin’...

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I got my wrench on a few of the nuts this evening, and was trying to do it in the sequence per the service manual.

All of the nuts were damn snug and did not budge even applying more than 18 ft-lbs(the stock spec). I am wondering if it makes sense to back each one off a little to free it up, then retorque it? My only worry is the stud may come out of the head instead of the nut. A bunch of the studs came out with the nut the first time I did this.

My other though its to just turn each one an 1/8 of a turn and not worry about the torque.

·
Super Modistrator
2,282 Posts
Something like???

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Chrome, thin wall, short, swivel. These are of course available in a deeper version should the stud be longer. These are very thin and almost unbelievably strong. They’ll flat get where other sockets can’t. I just threw a pic of a 10mm up. I’m not sure what size the manifold stud nuts are.

• Item
  • TMUSM10A
  • Price
  • $48.50

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
I'm betting both of those have very similar angle of approach as well as OD.

And they are both Snapon pricey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Modistrator
2,282 Posts
I’m thinking they do have a very similar bend angle, that said the impact socket will be noticeably thicker and if it’s a tight space the chrome one is the ticket.

I have all of Happy Snappy’s swivel sockets in metric and the US sizes in both shallow and deep well (where available) in both chrome and impact design. As I remember it took me a while to pay for them. I was grateful that these types of tools could be itemized come tax time. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts