F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've been crunching numbers, and there is no way I can get one of these beauties without leasing it.

However, I am a newbie to the game and do not know how it works.

Basically, my idea is to talk them down to a number I like, then ask them to lease it to me at that price.

So, for example. An XLT has an MSRP of 43,000, and I talk the dealer down to 32,000 and say "let's lease this baby"....what happens?

I'm seeing that these are being discounted as much as 12-13k right now, but that is advertised as purchase price. Will dealers give me that for a lease price?

·
Registered
943 Posts
How long do you intend to keep the truck? If you are planning to keep for a while then, I think it is better to buy than lease. If plan on a short period then check into leasing. Be careful if you lease and don't put too many miles on or it will cost you .

·
Registered
873 Posts
Leasing never wins. If you can't afford it you can't afford it, nothing wrong with that. I was only able to buy mine because it was part of a hail sale and fit my budget so I could pay cash. And it's an xl haha! Otherwise no truck for me.

Also with the problems these trucks can have it may hurt your cash flow making ability due to have it being at the dealer a wide range of times (1-5 days) for an attempted repair. Some have zero issues just depends on your cash flow stress test.

If it was me, my .02 here, I'd get a cheaper slightly used 08 or 10 with the tried true 5.4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long do you intend to keep the truck? If you are planning to keep for a while then, I think it is better to buy than lease. If plan on a short period then check into leasing. Be careful if you lease and don't put too many miles on or it will cost you .
Well, I would lease it knowing that I plan to buy it outright when the lease is up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you can't afford it then you can't afford it. Don't trying to lease and put yourself in a bad spot. Save your money until you have enough down payment to get your payment where you want it. It's a really bad idea to stretch your budget.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I did the math on a lease and it just was not any different then buying. Also you need to come up with a boat load of money up front and you can't drive over 12K miles each year.
I never could understand how anyone could pay all that money and give the truck back at the end of the lease.
I agree with others, if you can't afford to buy it then save your money and drive the beater another year, that is what I did.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did the math on a lease and it just was not any different then buying. Also you need to come up with a boat load of money up front and you can't drive over 12K miles each year.
I never could understand how anyone could pay all that money and give the truck back at the end of the lease.
I agree with others, if you can't afford to buy it then save your money and drive the beater another year, that is what I did.
My Ford Red Carpet lease is good for 19,500 miles per year so I recommend you check your facts before posting false information. In leasing you essentially pay rent, depreciation and some profit to the leasing company. If you frequently buy new vehicles (every 3 years or so) then leasing may be an option. If you buy, "pay all that money" and trade it , you've done the same thing as leasing (took a hit on the depreciation and wear and tear). Leasing is not for everyone, but for me it isn't all that much different than buying and trading in 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
For the average person who cannot deduct their truck off their income taxes, how long you plan to own the vehicle and how many miles you drive every year are your primary factors. With leasing, you do not have any "equity" in the truck and when you turn it in, all the payments are lost. With purchasing, your payments are part interest, part depreciation and part equity ... where you could end up with some money in your pocket when you sell it (your "equity"). The longer you own it, typcially the more equity ... until you own it outright when the loan is paid off.

However, due to depreciation, if you sold the truck in the first, second or possibly the third year, you could find yourself owing more than the truck is worth.

HOWEVER, if you can deduct your truck off your income tax (due to a business ... even a small home-based business), leasing could work out better after taxes AND if you need to have a new vehicle every few years.

In Canada, their is a very low limit on the value of the vehicle you can "capitalize" for your income taxes (current maximum is $30,000 plus taxes ... regardless of the value of the car or truck). I paid more than $30,000 for my truck (plus taxes) and I cannot claim more than $30,000. Also, I cannot deduct the payments made ... I must depreciate the vehicle each year at a prescribed rate and method.

With leasing, I could deduct the entire amount (up to a certain limit based on a formula). This can allow me to deduct more off my income taxes with a lease versus an outright purchase.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My Ford Red Carpet lease is good for 19,500 miles per year so I recommend you check your facts before posting false information. In leasing you essentially pay rent, depreciation and some profit to the leasing company. If you frequently buy new vehicles (every 3 years or so) then leasing may be an option. If you buy, "pay all that money" and trade it , you've done the same thing as leasing (took a hit on the depreciation and wear and tear). Leasing is not for everyone, but for me it isn't all that much different than buying and trading in 2 or 3 years.
Hey bonehead your in Kansas. You may want to consider that things may be different from state to state.
As for the red carpet lease, the one offered up here required a $4800 up front payment and payments of $199.00 a month for 24 months.
That is a total of $399.00 a month for a vehicle you have to give back after 24 months unless you buy it after the lease.
To each their own but to me it is a complete waste of money.
But then again I tend to keep my vehicles way beyond the duration of the loan therefor saving even more money.
As I siad to each their own but don't thrash me when you are the one who is wrong!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I buy my trucks because I equip them to pull my toy hauler, air bags, load range E tires, exhaust, intake. I lease the car that my wife drives, not because i can't afford the car but because my wife does not drive over 12,000 miles a year and I want her in a safe reliable car and she gets a new car every 3 years and I don't need to worry how much it will be worth at trade in. If you drive over 15,000 miles a year or you keep cars for a long time leasing isn't the way to go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey bonehead your in Kansas. You may want to consider that things may be different from state to state.
As for the red carpet lease, the one offered up here required a $4800 up front payment and payments of $199.00 a month for 24 months.
That is a total of $399.00 a month for a vehicle you have to give back after 24 months unless you buy it after the lease.
To each their own but to me it is a complete waste of money.
But then again I tend to keep my vehicles way beyond the duration of the loan therefor saving even more money.
As I siad to each their own but don't thrash me when you are the one who is wrong!
Bonehead??? Is that the best you got? I am not wrong and things are different state to state. Things are also different lease to lease. Those special advertised leases are low miles and mine is not. I actually do lease my truck. Perhaps you've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express or something. Also I think name calling is a little juvenile and totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cars for wife I lease. I only lease 2 yrs. It cost more but don't have to worry about brakes or tires. As for my truck, I've tried both. Seems if the residuals aren't decent. It was better for me to buy.
I did well, just this week. I had a 2005 FX4, I ended getting $16,200 for Trade in. I only paid like $27,000 new because it was a left over and incentives, plus I am A plan.
My new truck was a sticker of $47,000 and after trade in, rebates, and A plan. I'm only financing $19,900
..less then $400.00 a month.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm 20 years old, I leased a 2012 XLT Screw with chrome package and so on, I love it I will be out of college in 1.5 years and have jobs lined up. My payments are 350$ a month for 3 years 12,500 miles a year. It really is a great option because I am not at the point in my life where I will be keeping cars for years, I'm young and will probably get a new truck and play with that in 2 years, since I finished 1 year of leasing already and it's been awesome not a single issue.

It depends what you want to do, I know some of my limitations are I can't really play with my truck too much but in 2 years depending on my finances out of college I might just buy it and bam all I have to pay off is the residual which is around 50% of that beginning cost no biggie.

Everyone on here calling names n such is ridiculous because everyone's really at a different point in their life ya know so it all depends if you want a brand new BEAUTY of a truck for 3 years and you can decide "Buy,Sell, Trade in, or new lease" which you get new incentives after you have leased.

Leasing is a great option if your looking to have a new car for 3 years pay half price and after 3 if you love it and your residual is good then go buy the rest of what it's worth and you didn't have to dedicate say 5-7 years of payments unless you just have extra money to buy it in full.

That's my 2 cents since I am currently leasing. My girlfriend is going to be leasing a car too very soon, were young and won't want these cars maybe in 3 years and we'll have jobs out of college if all goes right.

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay. I've been crunching numbers, and there is no way I can get one of these beauties without leasing it.

However, I am a newbie to the game and do not know how it works.

Basically, my idea is to talk them down to a number I like, then ask them to lease it to me at that price.

So, for example. An XLT has an MSRP of 43,000, and I talk the dealer down to 32,000 and say "let's lease this baby"....what happens?

I'm seeing that these are being discounted as much as 12-13k right now, but that is advertised as purchase price. Will dealers give me that for a lease price?
As for price you can try and talk them down but more then likely you will be going off of the MSRP which will not drop too low and watch out for your residual in case you do decide you will buy after 3 years. Look at what you will have paid after 3 and what it will cost if you want to buy after 3.

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm 20 years old, I leased a 2012 XLT Screw with chrome package and so on, I love it I will be out of college in 1.5 years and have jobs lined up. My payments are 350$ a month for 3 years 12,500 miles a year. It really is a great option because I am not at the point in my life where I will be keeping cars for years, I'm young and will probably get a new truck and play with that in 2 years, since I finished 1 year of leasing already and it's been awesome not a single issue. It depends what you want to do, I know some of my limitations are I can't really play with my truck too much but in 2 years depending on my finances out of college I might just buy it and bam all I have to pay off is the residual which is around 50% of that beginning cost no biggie. Everyone on here calling names n such is ridiculous because everyone's really at a different point in their life ya know so it all depends if you want a brand new BEAUTY of a truck for 3 years and you can decide "Buy,Sell, Trade in, or new lease" which you get new incentives after you have leased. Leasing is a great option if your looking to have a new car for 3 years pay half price and after 3 if you love it and your residual is good then go buy the rest of what it's worth and you didn't have to dedicate say 5-7 years of payments unless you just have extra money to buy it in full. That's my 2 cents since I am currently leasing. My girlfriend is going to be leasing a car too very soon, were young and won't want these cars maybe in 3 years and we'll have jobs out of college if all goes right. 2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST
Lots of hope and change there - to each his own per his situation. it is the capitalist way well except for health insurance, and taxes, and gov bailouts and.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Only one who wins on a lease is the DEALER. You lose always.
You pay 2-3 yrs and if you buy you wind up paying alot more than outright buy originally
If you turn in you lose all the equity from it since you dont own it and dont get credit for value at trade.
Did it once and will NEVER do it again total screwing for consumer.
I would not be sure of any thing 1.5 yrs from now.

As for the hope and change I was hoping for a change last November but too many suckers in this country.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Wow from 5.4 to bonehead. Sorry if I offended anyone with the 5.4L. I just never heard anything good about them. That's why they went to the 5.0L? Anyways, when I was in college, I had a 1981 Datsun 200SX. Living @ home still. Didn't have a 35-50K ish brand new truck. Leased or bought. I wish in 1.5 yrs I can make a decision to sell, trade or keep my minivan ('12 XLT with XTR options) anyways. The ski hill is opening (maybe) December 14th. Anyone wanna sesh Grey mountains new lift? Bring your rock skis/snowboard

1 - 20 of 28 Posts