F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and searched and searched some more ...
Who all have replaced their regular bulbs in regular housings with LED bulbs ? Is there more light output or does it just mostly scatter ? What are some of the better brands ? CrystaLux is just way too expensive for their kits. I would like a kit but do not want to pay $70 for each bulb and it's adaptor. Surely there are some good kits a lot cheaper.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I did this LED conversion on my 13 F150 a couple of years ago and they were plug and play, but you do have to adjust your head light angle a bit lower so you don't blind on coming drivers...

Alla Lighting 8000 Lumens Extremely Super Bright H13 9008 LED Headlight Bulb All-in-One 6000K Xenon White H13 Headlight Conversion Kits Bulbs Replacement (Dual High/Low Beam)

I also got the equal LED fog lights and had to adjust them a bit lower too.

But, in the end, they are much brighter then OEM and I have not had anyone 'flash' me or been pulled over and just enjoy the extra brightness of them... I'm even in the ultra liberal State of Washington and we can't do anything here!

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you like them and feel they will last ? Good quality ?
Glad I'm in the South LOL

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
It's probably going to squirrel spot. I always suggest retrofit. In your case, you can also get OEM HIDs or morimoto has a LED headlight plug n play, although it is a love it or hate it design.

Both expensive, but once you drive at night in them, you'll say it is worth it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably going to squirrel spot. I always suggest retrofit. In your case, you can also get OEM HIDs or morimoto has a LED headlight plug n play, although it is a love it or hate it design.

Both expensive, but once you drive at night in them, you'll say it is worth it.
Do you mean scatter the light ?
Yes, the issue is driving at night, even tho my stock housing are clear and not discolored at all. Do you think newer halogen bulbs will make any difference like the Sylvania's on the TV ad ?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've used the SilverStar Ultra Sylvania replacement lamps in my old 97 F150 before. They were pretty good, but only lasted about a year before one died and decided I didn't want to replace them so often.. I went back to OEM for the rest of the time I had that truck. (several more years at least and never had to replace the lamps)

On the 13, with the LED's, so far so good some 2 years later. I tend to use the headlights only at night, but if it's day time and feel I want to run lights, that's when I run only the fog lights. So, it helps spread the time between them..

I had fogs on the 97 too, and used them the same way, but the SilverStars still only lasted a year, and that was not using them all that much!

I got the LEDs on Amazon. Think I paid $50 for the head lights and $40 for the fogs.

Mitch

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used the SilverStar Ultra Sylvania replacement lamps in my old 97 F150 before. They were pretty good, but only lasted about a year before one died and decided I didn't want to replace them so often.. I went back to OEM for the rest of the time I had that truck. (several more years at least and never had to replace the lamps)

On the 13, with the LED's, so far so good some 2 years later. I tend to use the headlights only at night, but if it's day time and feel I want to run lights, that's when I run only the fog lights. So, it helps spread the time between them..

I had fogs on the 97 too, and used them the same way, but the SilverStars still only lasted a year, and that was not using them all that much!

I got the LEDs on Amazon. Think I paid $50 for the head lights and $40 for the fogs.

Mitch
Do you remember the brand name of the LED's ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just make sure you do the world a favor and aim them properly 2" lower than center at 25 ft from a wall. and 3" low if you tow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure you do the world a favor and aim them properly 2" lower than center at 25 ft from a wall. and 3" low if you tow.
Bossy as heck. (n)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Know what guys ? I'm a responsible person. Know what else ? I'm an old guy who didn't spend years with his face in the mud calling in air strikes for a battalion commander so I could take orders from guys on an internet forum on Memorial Day.
Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
I love this forum.

It gives me a microcosm (cross section) of the human dilemma, all while using F150's as the subject matter. We're an entertaining species.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I’m an old guy too but you sound like a grumpy old man. I guess it’s hard to take good advice and some fun criticism on forums. Maybe I’m receiving your reply wrong. This is why I hate social media. It’s hard to tell how someone is actually talking.

NOTE: Grumpy old man = Fun humor. Not based on actual facts.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Know what guys ? I'm a responsible person. Know what else ? I'm an old guy who didn't spend years with his face in the mud calling in air strikes for a battalion commander so I could take orders from guys on an internet forum on Memorial Day.
Have a good one.
You may be a responsible person but you also could be like 95% of the rest of the population who puts bright LEDS in halogen housings and blinds the rest of us driving down the road not knowing any better. So now you know!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I think the cheapest upgrade would be the silver stars you mention and a nice set of projector fog lights, that will give a lot of coverage and not blind.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just install one of these for the passenger. If it's too high, tell them to aim lower.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may be a responsible person but you also could be like 95% of the rest of the population who puts bright LEDS in halogen housings and blinds the rest of us driving down the road not knowing any better. So now you know!
No worries. I won't be driving in canada. Ever.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts