F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think someone asked this as a joke... one of our Canadian shoppers... but the question came to be about whether our LED lights would work in the Canadian winters... well... they sure will. We submerged our LED bulbs in frozen water and they still worked. Check out our latest Headlight LED Torture Test video here on youtube:

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Adam, I think the issue (and this is with MANY LEDs) ... will the LED bulb (because it's cooler temps) keep the headlight lens warm enough to melt ice & snow during winter? Especially if driving in a blizzard storm.

The heat of a Halogen bulb will warm up the lens enough to melt on coming Snow ... probably the ONLY good thing about Halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. I know the LED's do get hot, as in some of my videos (with the mud) you can see the heat coming off it as it burns off the mud. So the bulbs themselves get hot... the fan cools them down of course to increase the life expectency.

I'll be honest, in all my years driving I've never had an issue with snow on my truck. I've had ice on my headlights, from a truck sitting parked, but never while driving.

I think the whole "halogen melts the snow/ice" thing is just one of those urban myths unless someone can prove to me otherwise...

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Well I will know more from actual experience this coming winter when I get my LEDs installed. The real issue is when it cold and driving in a heavy snow at night. I personally just try to avoid driving at that time, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

In previous winters my headlights would be clear while it was snowing when I came home from work. And when I left to go to work, I would have to clear the ice from the snow that melted and then froze on my headlights (and windshield).

Up here, we have to pull our wipers off our windshields during winter to avoid them freezing onto the windshield (from the melting snow as the windshield cools down overnight). Else, the rubbers will rip right off and you'll be buying new wipers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Very impressive

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm from NY so I know the drill with leaving the wipers up so they don't become "one with the windshield" - And I know the drill in breaking ice off the headlights... but that's from sitting in a lot for a while. I always clear all snow/ice from my truck (1, looks better and 2, safety reasons) and have never had issues with snow/ice forming while driving... granted I've not always had LED lights so yeah we'll see what happens this winter... not something im really worried about in all honesty. Light will shine through ice :) And if I have to, I can stop the truck and break the ice off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have putco led fog lights and they do not get hot enough to melt the snow, also the f150 LEDs 22" light bar and it does not either. Michigan winters here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sell the same 22" bars and other bars at a fraction of the price AND they don't get condensation... food for though when you need more LED bars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts