F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Fellas/Ladies-
New forum member and F150 owner here. Just picked up my White 2013 XLT SuperCrew with Chrome Package last Monday, and absolutely in love with it. Traded my 2011 Ford Edge Sport in for it, which I was sad to see go, but having a truck was the more practical option for me right now. In any case, I have always been a custom guy, from my first car (1995 Cavalier, I did my best on my TJMaxx high school job salary) to the Ford Edge, I always have to make them my own in anyway possible. I've got plenty of ideas from cruising the forum, especially in the performance department, but given I only have about 550 miles on it, I'm going to wait until after about 2500 miles of break-in before touching that. So, for now, I am tackling the exterior modifications. Here are my plans:

Recon Clear/Chrome Projector Headlights with LED Halos/DRL - RECON Part # 264190CL - CLEAR Projector Headlights Ford Raptor & Ford F150 09-13 w LED Halos & DRLs

Going to rig the DRL bars up with a DRL integration harness to ensure they are always on (since Ford doesn't have an actual DRL built into their headlight setup). Also, I'm going to change the front turn signals all over to LED, both the main 3157 bulb and the small side parking bulb. For the main 3157 bulb, I am going to run a set of V-Led 6K White/Amber Switchbacks (Type 2) very similar to these (carryovers from ones I had on my Edge):

6K TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 42 HIGH POWER LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 CK TYPE BASE | 1 PAIR - SwitchBack LED - 3157 - 3156 LED - Tail Brake Turn Signal - Bulb Type

Switchback bulbs are designed to change color depending on what signal they are given. When the bulb is in normal parking light mode, the bulb glows white. When the turn signal is turned on, the white shuts off and the bulb blinks in the traditional (and more importantly, legal) amber color. When the signal is cancelled, the white reilluminates after a slight delay. This will provide a clean all white look to the housing, with all lights being color matched at 6K color temperature. Should look really, really slick. If the F150 is like the Edge, I will have to wire a relay into the circuit to make them work properly, and if I do, I can post a video if anyone would be interested in how to do it.

For the actual headlights themselves, I've ordered up 3 HID Kits for the low beam, high beam and fog lights from DDM Tuning. I've always had good luck with their kits, and they have a full lifetime warranty. Running 55W kits on the high and low beams, 8K in color temp, keeping in mind that a 55W kit will washout about 2K in color, making them appear more like a 6K bulb. Stepping the fogs down to a 35W kit, mainly because of the smaller housing the bulbs will be in, don't want the bulbs to overheat, so running a true 6K setup down there.

Recon Clear/Chrome LED Tail Lights - RECON 2009 2010 2011 2012 Ford Raptor & Ford F150 LED Tail Lights - Clear Lens

I've seen nothing but good things on the performance of these lights, but I am also really looking forward to seeing how these lights integrate with the Chrome Package. Should be a seamless fit and really set off the tail of the truck. I already have the LED reverse bulbs from my Edge as well, so those will pop right in to make an all LED rear tail light setup. Changing the license plate lights over to LED as well, obviously.

Recon Clear/Chrome LED 3rd Brake Light - RECON Ford Raptor & Ford F150 09-13 - Red LED 3rd Brake Light Kit w/ White LED Cargo Lights - Clear Lens

Love this housing. Without any lights on, it is an all chrome look. Really quite unnecessary to change, but I'm a bit OCD about tying everything together.

V-Led Exterior LED Aluminum Strip Light Bars - ALUMINUM BAR LIGHT STRIPLIGHT 3 CHIP 15 LED - Exterior - Strip Lights

Going to place 4 sets of these in various positions on the truck for accent and functional lighting, and loop them into the cargo light circuit. The first two sets are going into the side step rails to act as puddle lights. The other 2 sets I plan to place in the bed of the truck, hidden up under the top rails but firing into the bed. I have already installed a Truxedo Truxport tonneau cover, and the intent of these would be to provide light into the bed at night when the cover is closed and the cargo light obviously would be no assistance. This is just an idea I had, we will see how it works.

V-Led LED DRL Puddle Light Mod - 6K WHITE DIY 3W LED DRL FOG DRIVING AUX LIGHT

Here, I have no idea if this is even going to work. Truth be told, I had a return with V-Leds and a credit to use, so I added 2 of these to my order. My initial thought is to mount them where the puddle light would be if I had them, up under the side view mirrors. I loved the puddle lights in my Edge, gave a very classy look at night, but am not looking to order OEM puddle and mod them as they come factory sealed with an incandescent festoon in them. I did that once, not looking to again, it really sucked, haha. :D

That's my plan for now, as long winded as it is. All items should arrive this week and the changes can begin. If anyone is interested in these mods, I'd be more than happy to take some pictures during install, just let me know. I'll post some pictures as I complete them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here she is, in her somewhat stock glory (front windows tinted and Truxedo Truxport tonneau installed). Ready for launch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@FOXVALLEY84 did you buy your splash gruads? because i want some and dont know where to look about buying some.
They were on the truck when I bought it as a dealer installed option. So I would assume you could get them at your local dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing your light mods - particularly the front with the addition of DRL's. I'm a big DRL believer and have strongly considered changing mine out for a light that would allow for that set up. If you do a video, please be sure to post that, as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
freyguy11
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing