F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’m in the market for some roof mounts for my 13” f150 FX4. Plan on adding a 50” light bar after I choose what mount to get, I looked for any threads regarding this but really didn’t come up with anything so here goes. The top three mounts I really found on the web were N-FAB roof mounts, SoCal super truck mounts and Addictive Desert Designs mounts. All these mounts require drilling but the Addictive Desert Designs mount goes on the inside of the door jam, were the other two drill into the gutter valleys on top of the roof. In all honestly I’m leaning towards the ADD mounts but wanted to hear what other people have to say about these products. Here are the links to each mount:

I would love to hear people’s opinions how they look and what not, personally I love the look of the N-Fab but it sits kind of high on the roof whereas the other two are kind flush with the top of the windshield.

ADD mount:
2009-2014 F150 / SVT Raptor ADD Light Bar Mount (50" Bars) F150ROOFMOUNT

N-fAb mount:
Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories

SoCal mount:
2004-2014 Ford F150 50" LED Light Bar Roof Mount Bracket Kit

My vote as I said before goes to the ADD mount….

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Man, please don't think I'm baggin' on your decision, but are you sure your REALLY want to do this?

Do you just like the look of the 50" bar mounted on your roof? If so, that's cool, I'm just askin'.

I'm one of the resident "off-road lighting nerds" on this forum....there's a small handful of us. :cool:

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
If you do end up doing this, I'd strongly recommend going with the ADD Mounts. Not that there's anything inherently "wrong" with the N-Fab Mounts (heck, we have them on our 5.0L project truck in conjunction with a 50" SR-Series), but they're not the most ideal things for the average Joe. I mean, you have to drill fairly large holes in your roof. Weatherproofing is kind of a pain and you can't really go back from them if/when you sell your truck.

At least with the ADDs, the holes are inside the door, making plugging them up a hell of a lot cleaner if you ever need to.

Anyway, here's an image of our truck with the N-Fab/SR-Series Combo:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya im definelty thinkg about going with the ADD's, and yes i think they look baddass. I dont plan on getting a new bumper and i definetly do not want to block the intercooler. I just ordered 20x9 fuel octanes, lifting it 3 inches and throwing 35's on it along with a livernois tuner which should be in today. Besides it looking bad ass i actually will be using the bar a lot. When we head up to our house in the northern woods, its used 90% of the time. Do you guys think it looks gaudy or something?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Ya im definelty thinkg about going with the ADD's, and yes i think they look baddass. I dont plan on getting a new bumper and i definetly do not want to block the intercooler. I just ordered 20x9 fuel octanes, lifting it 3 inches and throwing 35's on it along with a livernois tuner which should be in today. Besides it looking bad ass i actually will be using the bar a lot. When we head up to our house in the northern woods, its used 90% of the time. Do you guys think it looks gaudy or something?
Man...from personal experience....do NOT give a $#!t what anyone else thinks about the way your truck LOOKS....if you like it, it's all good. It's YOUR truck.

That said...unless you're ASKING what ppl think something looks like BEFORE you do it because you want other opinions as you're not sure if you love it...that's different. :cool:

Reactions: BlueFlameFX4

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
Do you guys think it looks gaudy or something?
Hell no! It looks awesome. And the light bar looks amazing especially at night.

It's just that we came to the grim conclusion (around the time Kris down at Extreme was boring a 1/2"+ diameter hole in our roof for the wiring plug) that N-Fab's mounts are a very permanent modification to the truck that a lot of people probably aren't willing to make.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is one sweet looking ride! Great job!! I just ordered My feul octane rims over the phone with you guys yesterday, cant wait till they arrive! BTW with the ADD brackets how will i be able to run the wiring into the cab of the truck?

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
BTW with the ADD brackets how will i be able to run the wiring into the cab of the truck?
I'm pretty sure they just follow the brackets into the door jamb. From there, you can route the wiring wherever you want to mount the switch for the light bar.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure they just follow the brackets into the door jamb. From there, you can route the wiring wherever you want to mount the switch for the light bar.
Jason, quit making me want a 50" sr....

How's the wind noise on the the sr?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Jason, quit making me want 50 sr's!

How many can I stack vertically before I endanger low flying aircraft ?
Yeah ... I wanna know too!

Transmitted by thumbs via iPhone. Chance of errors, 87%.

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
How's the wind noise on the the sr?
Terrifyingly awful. I mean, seriously. It was a piercing, shrill, banshee-esque whistle above 40mph.

However, some cheapo irrigation tubing from Home Depot completely solved the problem. There's still some wind noise, but it's not bad in the slightest.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
That is exactly what has stopped me from getting one.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Ok serious now.... I rode in a mall crawler that had the double row rigid WTF you call it 50" roof mount. And I doubt no matter the brand these symptoms would be similar.

It was aimed pretty well parallel to the ground just by looking at it (didn't have my level with me in my pants pocket). ...At 70mph it sounded like the nazis were about to bomb London.

But worse....on a "trail ride" the glare from the hood half way blinded you trying to drive...now...no bs... I could see these things working on a desert buggy or something....but on a truck with a normal hood....are y'all really saying you can see "awesome" with it and there's not much glare?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The glare from my d2's really isn't bar at all

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
The glare from my d2's really isn't bar at all
Yeah...try mounting them on the ROOF and get back to me bruh....

Reactions: Pinero61

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
It was aimed pretty well parallel to the ground just by looking at it (didn't have my level with me in my pants pocket). ...At 70mph it sounded like the nazis were about to bomb London.
Sounds about right, at least before we put the irrigation tubing between the fins. After our little "mod," there's only a smidge of wind noise. No whistle of falling bombs, thunder of flak, or screams of terrified British.

But worse....on a "trail ride" the glare from the hood half way blinded you trying to drive...now...no bs... I could see these things working on a desert buggy or something....but on a truck with a normal hood....are y'all really saying you can see "awesome" with it and there's not much glare?
It really depends on the mounting location when it comes to glare. The good thing about the N-Fab brackets is that they come up and forward of the windshield a decent bit, which makes the light bar project over the hood rather than down into it. I know folks who just attach them to things like roof racks tend to have problems.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'd imagine if I got a full hyper spot it would barely throw any ambient light onto the hood with that narrow beam.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Yeah that makes sense and in truth the rigid optics probably cut down on it a little bit too if mounted forward of the glass compared to the cheap stuff...I'm sure those are even worse

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yeah that makes sense and in truth the rigid optics probably cut down on it a little bit too if mounted forward of the glass compared to the cheap stuff...I'm sure those are even worse

Yeah, area lighting up top doesn't make much sense anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts