F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I saw one of these going on a new Dodge the other day, and started asking some questions....

And remembering back to the "good 'ol days" where everyone did body lifts on Broncos and Blazers. In recent years, body lifts have been more or less looked down upon compared to a "real" suspension lift. But in asking questions, it got me thinking about leveling kits and more...

- Do most people that put bigger tires on trucks do desert racing or SERIOUS off-roading? Or do they do it mainly for looks and maybe some light off-roading on their daily driver?

- What about those lifted show trucks you see with the huge tires built by lift kit companies? Those trucks typically have both suspension AND body lifts.

- I could only find two suspension lift companies that have 4-6" lifts for our trucks that are FMVSS Certified.

- Today's trucks cost $40-50K+ and don't ride like log wagons from the factory. Do I really want to alter the factory ride and/or suspension components THAT much?

- There's also the issue of BUDGET. Spending over $1k on tires, how many people can spend another $3k for a BDS or Pro-Comp suspension lift?

So...that all brings me to THIS....which I just discovered. And this company has been around a LONG time. A 5" kit that will clear 35-37" tires WITHOUT altering the suspension or ride quality in ANY way....AND is FMVSS Certified....for under 500 bucks. Just seems to me to be an option that most off-road snobs and brand whor@s will no doubt poo-poo. BUT....if you have a daily driver, that sees an occasional logging trail, deer camp, etc. - do you really NEED anything else? I don't have a 4WD, but if I did, I think the option of getting that much tire clearance WITHOUT altering the front CV's or cutting cross members and all....would appeal to me.

So, take a look and just think about it, and how most of these trucks are REALLY used before you flame it. I would have never even considered this before now:

2011-2014 Ford F-150 5-Inch Lift Kit - Perfomance Accessories

I would also say it is because of the amount of labour that would go into installing that. Plus the average person probably couldn't do it.

But the truck in that image does look good.

Reactions: VolForLife
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I can't tell from the photos but most people done like body lifts because all you seem is frame, which is disgusting, I want more pictures though because this doesn't look half bad!
The kit comes with black gap filler plates so you don't see the ugly.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I would also say it is because of the amount of labour that would go into installing that. Plus the average person probably couldn't do it.

But the truck in that image does look good.
You're right about the average Joe not doing it, but the labor time is about the same as a suspension lift, only you're not altering the suspension components or ride.

Reactions: Vozaday
Discussion starter · #6 ·
I dunno....the more I think about it the more I like it.

Text Font Line Document

I have had two rigs that I body lifted, and abused... worked just fine IMO...

On a 2004 heritage f150 I had coil spacers, body lift, and spindle lift.. I loved it...

Cons:
I do think the ride is different than on oem body mounts.
Cost to relocate the exhaust upwards.
Fabrication for any aftermarket bumpers, etc.
Tow Hitch hangs way down.

Pro's:
I still have the '04 with body lift and have beat on it for 10 years... I have nothing negative to say about the quality and I installed myself in a driveway. Towed with it, loaded the bed with sand, mulch, rock, etc. no issues.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Didn't think about the hitch, thanks.

Not sure about the exhaust. I might call their tech line and ask about that.

Ya your right once you factor in the higher cost of a suspension lift and labour it probably would be the same.

Another question is safety. I know that the taller the lift usually the stiffer the suspension to deal with the taller center of gravity. Now I know with this you aren't lifting the engine or anything like that but are lifting the cab a bit. So how would it affect body roll.

I have never run a body lift so I am really just curious. Usually only see it on extremely tall vehicles or chevs. Lol

Discussion starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ya your right once you factor in the higher cost of a suspension lift and labour it probably would be the same.

Another question is safety. I know that the taller the lift usually the stiffer the suspension to deal with the taller center of gravity. Now I know with this you aren't lifting the engine or anything like that but are lifting the cab a bit. So how would it affect body roll.

I have never run a body lift so I am really just curious. Usually only see it on extremely tall vehicles or chevs. Lol

Good points. And body roll and effect on the factory electronic stability control system are the two primary components of passing FMVSS-126 certification.

So I think answer is, they are safe, and have no effect on Advance-Trac and it's ability to be your truck's "nanny".

EDIT: and this kit is actually a combination of a front level and body lift.

Reactions: Vozaday
I'll also add vibration to the list, think about a pothole and just a small dampner in place, that shock is not transmitted as largely to the body.

In your initial post you state log wagon, I think that's kind of a term i'd use to describe having a body lift. Everyone other than me hates riding in it, based on the changes...

Here's my 2 cents which is not even worth that, hahah. I went with a level kit for cost and clearance, my understanding is that the coil spacers actually give you more clearance to the front drive components than when doing a suspension lift, please correct me if I am wrong. Now if you do not want to cut anything up you are probably looking at a 34" tire (for the most part). A suspension lift will let you get the bigger tire so your clearance is added more from the tire than the lift (for the most part). If the body lift gets you clearance for bigger tires you will net some clearance gains as well. To me the best would be a 2" level kit with another 2 to 3 inches of body lift.

Reactions: Btrow
Discussion starter · #14 ·
I'll also add vibration to the list, think about a pothole and just a small dampner in place, that shock is not transmitted as largely to the body.

In your initial post you state log wagon, I think that's kind of a term i'd use to describe having a body lift. Everyone other than me hates riding in it, based on the changes...
Do you know what the spacers are made of? Are they urethane?

Discussion starter · #15 · (Edited)
You will alter the factory ride when you install the preload spacers on the front struts. You still thinking of lifting eh? Just leave it alone. It looks great.
Here's my 2 cents which is not even worth that, hahah. I went with a level kit for cost and clearance, my understanding is that the coil spacers actually give you more clearance to the front drive components than when doing a suspension lift, please correct me if I am wrong. Now if you do not want to cut anything up you are probably looking at a 34" tire (for the most part). A suspension lift will let you get the bigger tire so your clearance is added more from the tire than the lift (for the most part). If the body lift gets you clearance for bigger tires you will net some clearance gains as well. To me the best would be a 2" level kit with another 2 to 3 inches of body lift.
Already have a 2.5" level on there now. Didn't notice much of a change in ride quality. Yes...still wanna go higher. And still may either lose the flares or PTM them. Not sure.

EDIT: And that's basically what this kit is...a combo of level and body lift.

Reactions: mikemetz82
I say do it, and post lots of pics. You might start a trend.

Reactions: mikemetz82
Discussion starter · #19 ·
Yes, do it. What do you have to lose? You already have a jacked up 2WD so dignity isn't it. Lol.
OK Mister fancy pants guy with car-truck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.