F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that have put leveling kits on, have you noticed any change in Gas Mileage? I like the idea of leveling out and getting some more clearance, but not sure if it is worth it if it lowers gas mileage as my truck doesn't leave the pavement that often. I did a search, but didn't really find any discussion on this, so forgive me if I missed a discussion on this already.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Most people that level put on bigger tires too. So yes, most people notice a drop but who knows if the bigger culprit is the tires or the level.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I most likely wouldn't put on new tires until these wear out. So, maybe this will be a hard question to get answered unless there are some guys/gals out there running stock tires and a leveling kit. My main reason for doing it would be for getting more ground clearance to go through deep snow and hunting trails.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Can someone explain why a leveling kit would alter mileage if nothing else is changed?
I fail to see how it could possibly effect fuel economy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can someone explain why a leveling kit would alter mileage if nothing else is changed?
I fail to see how it could possibly effect fuel economy.
Aerodynamics get worse when the front of the truck is raised higher.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I ran a 2" leveling kit on my 08 with a 5.4. I retained the stock sized tires for the entire time, put the leveling kit on the truck at 15k and traded it at 56k. I noticed MAYBE 1 mpg decrease in mileage but the added 2 inches in the snow up here in ND was priceless. I never had a problem getting around in other peoples wheel tracks, and even fresh snow didnt cause me any problems in town. I did how ever notice a difference while towing the boat. The suspension was noticably softer so i added a set of riderite air bags. My boat weighs around 5000 lbs and i can not pick up the tongue, so there is noticable weight there.

I have a 1.75 inch kit on my 13 and I have not seen a difference in fuel economy at all with this rig, but only have 7k on the truck and had the level in it for like 1000 miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i dont remember my mileage dropping with the factory wheels and tires and the 2.5 inch leveling kit but i also had the leveling kit in with in the first 1000 miles. now with my 275/70/18 i get 15 in town and on the interstate

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I just picked up my Rancho leveling shocks yesterday ($173.00 on line, for anyone looking) and plan on installing them on Sunday. We plan on taking a 600-700 miles ride to northern Maine next W/E. I should know by the end of the trip if anything has changed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked up my Rancho leveling shocks yesterday ($173.00 on line, for anyone looking) and plan on installing them on Sunday. We plan on taking a 600-700 miles ride to northern Maine next W/E. I should know by the end of the trip if anything has changed.
That should be a good test. I look forward to hearing your results.

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
71 Posts
Changed mine last week and have observed no change in milage. I'm still gettin' 12.1 mpg :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice truck, was that 12.1 mpg or a misprint?
Sad, but not a misprint. Where I live you might get 200 feet and then have to stop and go, stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.

But when I get to go, boy do I ever! I'm guilty of a very heavy right foot.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sad, but not a misprint. Where I live you might get 200 feet and then have to stop and go, stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.

But when I get to go, boy do I ever! I'm guilty of a very heavy right foot.
Is that Marblehead Mass.? If so I understand.
Are those are stock tires and rims. If so it really doesn't look bad without bigger tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is that Marblehead Mass.? If so I understand.
Are those are stock tires and rims. If so it really doesn't look bad without bigger tires.
Bingo, Marblehead MA 3.5 square miles with 21,000 people.
I'll take the saturation here over living anywhere else in the country.
Have a great trip to Maine, I'm headed to Prince Edward Island for giant tuna hunting.

Stock 20" tires and rims btw.

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran a 2" leveling kit on my 08 with a 5.4. I retained the stock sized tires for the entire time, put the leveling kit on the truck at 15k and traded it at 56k. I noticed MAYBE 1 mpg decrease in mileage but the added 2 inches in the snow up here in ND was priceless. I never had a problem getting around in other peoples wheel tracks, and even fresh snow didnt cause me any problems in town. I did how ever notice a difference while towing the boat. The suspension was noticably softer so i added a set of riderite air bags. My boat weighs around 5000 lbs and i can not pick up the tongue, so there is noticable weight there.

I have a 1.75 inch kit on my 13 and I have not seen a difference in fuel economy at all with this rig, but only have 7k on the truck and had the level in it for like 1000 miles.
Thanks for bringing up the topic of how the leveling kit could also affect the towing experience. I had not thought about that. I have started a separate thread in the Towing section called "Will leveling affect your towing experience (good or bad)?" for anyone that could/would want to comment on this issue.

Thank you for all the responses so far!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i know everyone have a front leveling kit out there. Just wondering if there is anything you can do to drop the rear? Setup almost like a dessert truck? ( and not killing the great ride)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No noticeable change in fuel economy with leveling shocks.
No change in handling when trailering either. Now I can only speak for 3500-4K trailer, it may be different with a larger trailer behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts