F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wondering for awhile if my front drive shaft angle exiting the transfer case might be too drastic (keep forgetting to take pics). When engaging 4x4 it tends to sound a little clunky and almost seems sort of binding.... Could someone with a 6" lift take a picture of theirs?

I will upload mine tomorrow when I get the chance, thanks in advance if someone could help.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts
I’ll try to get one here for you in a few minutes at that same angle.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok so technically mines 4" but she never complains :LOL:. Angles should all be the same between the 2 since the only difference is the spacers/coilovers and rear blocks. It's hard to tell from the pictures and I feel like the angles are deceiving, but I am not seeing a ton of drop angle on that main shaft in mine. Above pics seem like more but I think it's more where you take the pic from. I am also assuming that all lift kits would include a axle spacer? Not as familiar with the front but I know on the rear axel that spacer mostly affects the slip yoke and how much of the splines are engaged.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Fender Material property Automotive exterior

Also, thanks for the post because looking at my pics I just realized my front shaft is rubbing on that shroud or whatever it is, looks like I need to make an adjustment around there later. (y)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I think it’s all in the angle of the dangle, or in this case the angle of where the picture is taken.
But a good kit should definitely come with the spacer.

Got another picture of mine, similar to the angle of the picture above

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for pics and the responses everyone.
To be specific I needed a shot of the shaft leaving the transfer case like this first pic. The angle entering the front differential looks same as everyone luckily 😅
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Automotive tire Wood Grey Hood Bumper

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok I thought for sure you had an issue looking at your last pics so I had to walk outside and see for myself. It looks off center in your pics but I thought it could be the camera angle playing tricks. NOPE! mines the exact same way so I think you can rule out the angle of the shaft being the cause of your problem, myth....busted.

My first thought would be the transfer case since you aren't having issues in 2wd.

I had the exact problem you're describing after my wreck, I was convinced that they mismatched the gearing when they replaced the front diff, I took my truck back 3 times getting it squared away but they never did tell me what the issue finaly was. It was almost like the front and back wheels were fighting against eachother in 4wd but no issues in 2wd. I will see if I can find any of that paperwork since I know I sent it via email to my insurance company, but I doubt I have all the follow up stuff. Automotive tire Knee Thigh Gas Elbow
Leg Automotive tire Thigh Elbow Knee
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2017 XLT S-Crew 4x4
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I thought for sure you had an issue looking at your last pics so I had to walk outside and see for myself. It looks off center in your pics but I thought it could be the camera angle playing tricks. NOPE! mines the exact same way so I think you can rule out the angle of the shaft being the cause of your problem, myth....busted.

My first thought would be the transfer case since you aren't having issues in 2wd.

I had the exact problem you're describing after my wreck, I was convinced that they mismatched the gearing when they replaced the front diff, I took my truck back 3 times getting it squared away but they never did tell me what the issue finaly was. It was almost like the front and back wheels were fighting against eachother in 4wd but no issues in 2wd. I will see if I can find any of that paperwork since I know I sent it via email to my insurance company, but I doubt I have all the follow up stuff. View attachment 182259 View attachment 182260 View attachment 182261 View attachment 182262
Thanks and yeap looks the same! I figured the drive shaft looked too close on the transfer case exit but I guess that's how it is.

Dang my 2nd hand Canada bought in the US truck is rusty as heck!

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
79 Posts
Dang my 2nd hand Canada bought in the US truck is rusty as heck!
Okay, here is a tip for you just because your truck came from Canada like mine. To treat/eliminate the rust, buy a bottle of Ospho and spray away. It chemically changes iron oxide into iron phosphate that is black in color. Body shops use that stuff all of the time on steel panels to treat surface rust before painting. Spray a coat, let dry and spray another coat if needed.

As a bonus tip, after the Ospho dries and all of the old rust turns black, spray some Amsoil HDMP all over. It will add a protective layer that will last for years. Car dealers and body shops use that stuff to spray the frame and undercoating of a vehicle to make it look clean, black and shiny.

After saying that, yes I need to do the same to my truck after I install the new exhaust and transmission pan.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4, 3.5L, SuperCrew, 6.5' Bed
79 Posts
Wow...I searched for HDMP as well as Ospho and am surprised that I was the first to mention those two terms on this site. FWIW, I'd definitely recommend having those two items in your garage. They are like liquid gold in treating/preventing rust.

·
Moderstrator
1,872 Posts
Chiming in a bit off topic - Corroseal has also been used recently with some nice results shown (thanks @Gord0 )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts