F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... didn't know to put this in the EcoBoost "Competitor", Towing, or Electronics forum.

But TFL's Ike Gauntlet on the Lightning dropped this morning.

The range is the $64k question, but my gosh did this thing smash the test!

Ford's "TRUCK" experience combined with the fundamental advantages of an EV look like they make for an incredibly capable, super-relaxed towing experience. No gimmicks, just a better approach to a traditional task.

I really liked they kept Temp gauges on the dash for Battery and motor, and the % of Power available adjusted to keep issues at bay (like a floating redline on a Tach).

I have to admit my perception is a little different than before. I was really interested in how the IRS / Coil rear suspension would do with regard to stability; wished they went into more detail, but clearly they had no complaints there, even suggesting it was more stable than the F150 PowerBoost.

Obviously cross-continent, over the divide towing road trips are probably out of the question, but for someone who needs a daily driver with and wants to "FEAR NO LOAD" for the occasional towing jobs around town, this looks impossible to beat at the moment.

Incredible times.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I'd have to go rewatch the Rivian video, but it seems like this did considerably better in most respects. The down hill regeneration was much higher than the Rivian I believe.

There is no doubt that the EV Trucks do things in an impressive way. If they can get the range up I would gladly buy one.

One thing to consider with stability is that this truck probably outweighed the Powerboost by a good 1000 lbs. They have another article where it scaled at 6800 lbs. Thats gasser superduty crew cab territory.

The thing I just can't get my head around is, if you are not needing the truck bed consistently, and you are not towing a significant load routinely, are there not better vehicle options out there? I had a guy mention picking up mulch or trees from a nursery and throwing mountain bikes in the back. I literally do all of those things, and I own a truck, and I have rented a trailer and used my Lexus for all of them :ROFLMAO: Throwing my mountain bikes in the back is easy enough, its the fact that I am having to drive a gigantic half ton around, often to tight trailhead parking lots. It's way easier to have a bike rack on my GX and whip into any tight spot I want. When I am not biking my rack folds up and the GX is like 3" longer than without the rack, I don't have 5.5 or 6.5' feet of empty bed dragging around behind me constantly

I could fill the bed of my half ton with mulch and be way over capacity. Or I could use a trailer behind my shorter, more nimble, more maneuverable GX. What would make sense to me is an EV GX or 4Runner or similar. Something that has some capability, but is smaller, lighter, and more efficient than a FS truck and isnt being used for long distance towing.

Literally the only reason I even own my truck at this point is to tow my travel trailer because it needs more HP than my GX has, and because it is really nice having the range I have from the 36 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have to go rewatch the Rivian video, but it seems like this did considerably better in most respects. The down hill regeneration was much higher than the Rivian I believe.
And this is what occurred to me as well…

All the tiny things that Ford has learned in 100 years about how people use trucks, and how those tiny things add up to differentiate 2 vehicles that on paper are so similar.

Going to be very interesting to see how manufacturers build character and differentiation into vehicles when they’re all essentially rideable, enclosed iPads with silent & effortless propulsion.

As for practically of an EV with a bed for daily use, I think it will come down to real-world differences in range and efficiency.

For family use I compared a crew cab truck truck vs typical parent-mobiles like VW Atlas, Mazda CX-9 etc., but also to more powerful options like German suvs.

Fuelly shows the mainstream parent-mobiles are getting only 3-4 more mpg. The added utility of the truck is so worth that to me, though I do wish it was more maneuverable sometimes (a higher performance, higher-end midsize truck with more back seat room would honestly be pretty perfect for me these days).

The 5.5 ft bed is a big difference maker for daily use; it’s only as long as the Reg cab 8’ bed trucks I used to drive when I was contracting. Back then I couldn’t believe folks got by with anything shorter. But now I gave 2 different size trailers for anything I don’t want in the bed, and it’s cheaper than having multiple vehicles.

Compared to higher end options with similar performance, now there’s no efficiency advantage, less utility, and I’m paying more upfront and for maintenance.

If the difference in EV offerings is similar it could make sense for some.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
And this is what occurred to me as well…

All the tiny things that Ford has learned in 100 years about how people use trucks, and how those tiny things add up to differentiate 2 vehicles that on paper are so similar.

Going to be very interesting to see how manufacturers build character and differentiation into vehicles when they’re all essentially rideable, enclosed iPads with silent & effortless propulsion.

As for practically of an EV with a bed for daily use, I think it will come down to real-world differences in range and efficiency.

For family use I compared a crew cab truck truck vs typical parent-mobiles like VW Atlas, Mazda CX-9 etc., but also to more powerful options like German suvs.

Fuelly shows the mainstream parent-mobiles are getting only 3-4 more mpg. The added utility of the truck is so worth that to me, though I do wish it was more maneuverable sometimes (a higher performance, higher-end midsize truck with more back seat room would honestly be pretty perfect for me these days).

The 5.5 ft bed is a big difference maker for daily use; it’s only as long as the Reg cab 8’ bed trucks I used to drive when I was contracting. Back then I couldn’t believe folks got by with anything shorter. But now I gave 2 different size trailers for anything I don’t want in the bed, and it’s cheaper than having multiple vehicles.

Compared to higher end options with similar performance, now there’s no efficiency advantage, less utility, and I’m paying more upfront and for maintenance.

If the difference in EV offerings is similar it could make sense for some.
I agree that the ICE trucks are not getting particularly worse MPG than an SUV at this point. My gripe is more just about the use of the bed and how often. Some people may use them frequently, or even daily in some cases, but I would bet that most don't even lift their tonneau covers but once a month.

Honestly though, my truck sits for a week at a time. I haven't driven it since last Tuesday or Wednesday I believe. I drive somewhere pretty much every single day, just not in my truck, because of the reasons I listed above. Its just not as practical or convenient. Its not even about MPG's as my Lexus barely does better.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
It did very well IMO. This is the "first" from Ford in the truck arena, so I am curious to see how it and other EV's progress over the years. Range improvements as battery tech improves will be the number 1 thing IMO. Maybe even range increase if they can shed weight with not only better battery tech, but other material's will also be part of it.

The "need" for a truck comes down to the individuals logic and use. There is something about having the "blank slate" that is the bed though, you can do so much more than with a SUV. My truck doesn't get used as much as the ST or the previous X5, Edge or Mazda6 on a daily basis, but it always seems to stay relatively close in KM's.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,087 Posts
It's no secret at all but I WANT ONE!
But I'm not even close to the front of the line. Lol

I just don't move fast enough in this fast and furious modern world. While I pondered the dang thing more than 100,000 people spoke before me.

For those that think the truck that TFL purchased is too expensive for an EV, I wonder if they realize how many ICE F150's have an $80k MSRP?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
It's no secret at all but I WANT ONE!
But I'm not even close to the front of the line. Lol

I just don't move fast enough in this fast and furious modern world. While I pondered the dang thing more than 100,000 people spoke before me.

For those that think the truck that TFL purchased is too expensive for an EV, I wonder if they realize how many ICE F150's have an $80k MSRP?
The Powerboost they compared it too in the video was brushing up against 80k.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,087 Posts
When you see a KingRanch, Platinum, or Limited Gen14, you wouldn't have to round up much to hit $80K.

However, the Lightning that I want is about $47k
And Ford will NOT sell it to me currently even if my reservation number comes up. 😔
(XL with extended battery)

So, I would have to get the $40k XL standard battery.
Which sold out in ONE day for the 2022 MY.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
I just spoke to my wife's cousin, who is a leading salesperson at a local Ford dealership (yes, I bought my truck from him). They have a Lightning Platinum 4WD on their lot, and it sold after a bit of bidding between two potential buyers for "over $120K".
I am not sure what the "sticker MSRP" was but he alluded that this was a very high premium.

·
Premium Member
13,087 Posts
Lighting Platinum is $90k and basically is the "Limited"
(There is no KingRanch or Limited)

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
When you see a KingRanch, Platinum, or Limited Gen14, you wouldn't have to round up much to hit $80K.

However, the Lightning that I want is about $47k
And Ford will NOT sell it to me currently even if my reservation number comes up. 😔
(XL with extended battery)

So, I would have to get the $40k XL standard battery.
Which sold out in ONE day for the 2022 MY.
I mean honestly, the regular range battery is probably fine for 99% of the driving you do, right? Is it going to really matter if you have 230 miles of range vs 320 in your day to day activities? Its only for the occasionally random road trip that you "need" to longer range.

Although, I guess you also get the lower HP rating on the normal battery, but still 426hp and 775 tq will make for a decently quick truck in most situations.

I would be doing the same thing if I was thinking about picking one up. The XL is decently equipped from what I saw, I think its nicer than a typical gasoline XL.

·
Premium Member
13,087 Posts
It's much much nicer than what our brains are trained to believe an XL is like. :)

And honestly, the XL Powerboost is way nicer on the inside than I was expecting when it arrived. The only reason it's an XL is because Ford upped what an XLT 302A is like. Sync3 with 8" touchscreen was in the F150 Limited just a year prior.

But yea, an XL Lightning with 230 miles range would definitely be my daily driver, as well as my truck for most truck duties. And I would even use it as my tow vehicle if I was traveling short distances and had shore power when I got there.

Ahhhh the first world decision problems we are faced with. Lol

• Haha

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
I've been watching the road trip vid from TFL. I'm honestly impressed with how quick they can charge to 80%. This really isn't the truck for me, however I do see it fitting for a bunch of folks that have to have a truck.
Man a "plug in" Powerboost would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
13,087 Posts
That would require Ford putting the Powerboost drivetrain into the HDPP chassis.

Yea, bring it!!

Problem solved!
What a truck that would be.
It wouldn't actually be an HDPP F150 though. Instead it would be a Powerboost getting insane mpg as a daily, but still being able to tow the boat, RV, toys cross country without stopping. AND have the ProPower onboard features when you get there.

If they built it, I would no longer want the Lightning though. So I figure that means they ain't gonna do it.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I've been watching the road trip vid from TFL. I'm honestly impressed with how quick they can charge to 80%. This really isn't the truck for me, however I do see it fitting for a bunch of folks that have to have a truck.
The only problem with the charging on the road is that you lose virtually all of the cost benefit of running electric. I think the chargers cost roughly the same as gasoline. In fact, when I charged that Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV I had in CA one night, it cost more than the same range worth of gas would have been.

At night, at your home, its def cheaper, but you are also only charging at 1/10th or less the speed of one of those 350kw chargers they were using. And that is assuming you can dedicate 240V/100A to a charger. You arnt gunna be able to come home, plug in, and turn around and leave on a 300 mile trip and hour later.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
The only problem with the charging on the road is that you lose virtually all of the cost benefit of running electric. I think the chargers cost roughly the same as gasoline. In fact, when I charged that Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV I had in CA one night, it cost more than the same range worth of gas would have been.

At night, at your home, its def cheaper, but you are also only charging at 1/10th or less the speed of one of those 350kw chargers they were using. And that is assuming you can dedicate 240V/100A to a charger. You arnt gunna be able to come home, plug in, and turn around and leave on a 300 mile trip and hour later.
I could be wrong, but I think they said around $200 to do 900 miles with some "free" power from the initial purchase. I don't know if a ICE truck could do it for that. Pricing does vary quit a bit though state to state and if you're "signed" up for that given charger infrastructure.

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,087 Posts
The Powerboost they compared it too in the video was brushing up against 80k.
I just saw that TFL got their hands on a Tundra TRD Pro. Hybrid! (those are still very rare)

It was $70k and is nowhere near as dolled up as the higher trimmed F150's
I also was surprised it is 20mpg?

I don't know. I don't dislike the Tundra. But it's just a missed opportunity to raise the bar by Toyota.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Lightning may be a short-lived model. Other EV trucks will be made so maybe the wants we have will be in the new models?
Ford CEO Jim Farley Says 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Won't Be Emulated (fordauthority.com)
The lighting is not an ideal EV, if you ask the EV folks, because its on a conventional truck frame. This means its packaging is not as good as it could be. Most EV's like Teslas, the Hummer, the new Silverado EV and the Rivian are on a "skateboard" chassis where the battery pack is integrated into the structure of the truck and everything sits on top of it. The belly of the truck is completely flat and there is no traditional frame rails like an F150.

The lightning just hangs the batteries between two frame rails where a normal truck would have its gas tank, transmission, transfer case and other stuff.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts