F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
It did very well IMO. This is the "first" from Ford in the truck arena, so I am curious to see how it and other EV's progress over the years. Range improvements as battery tech improves will be the number 1 thing IMO. Maybe even range increase if they can shed weight with not only better battery tech, but other material's will also be part of it.

The "need" for a truck comes down to the individuals logic and use. There is something about having the "blank slate" that is the bed though, you can do so much more than with a SUV. My truck doesn't get used as much as the ST or the previous X5, Edge or Mazda6 on a daily basis, but it always seems to stay relatively close in KM's.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
I've been watching the road trip vid from TFL. I'm honestly impressed with how quick they can charge to 80%. This really isn't the truck for me, however I do see it fitting for a bunch of folks that have to have a truck.
Man a "plug in" Powerboost would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
The only problem with the charging on the road is that you lose virtually all of the cost benefit of running electric. I think the chargers cost roughly the same as gasoline. In fact, when I charged that Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV I had in CA one night, it cost more than the same range worth of gas would have been.

At night, at your home, its def cheaper, but you are also only charging at 1/10th or less the speed of one of those 350kw chargers they were using. And that is assuming you can dedicate 240V/100A to a charger. You arnt gunna be able to come home, plug in, and turn around and leave on a 300 mile trip and hour later.
I could be wrong, but I think they said around $200 to do 900 miles with some "free" power from the initial purchase. I don't know if a ICE truck could do it for that. Pricing does vary quit a bit though state to state and if you're "signed" up for that given charger infrastructure.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
I mean, at 36 gallons I can fill up for $183 at the current $5.10/gallon price here in Utah, and assuming I still had stock tires and wheels, could probably do 20mpg on that trip they did. Thats 720 miles. I've done that in real life with my truck on 275/60R20 Duratracs. It would not cost me a whole lot more to drive that then it did them.

And this is a 2014 steel body truck. I am assuming a 2022 aluminum 10 speed truck could be a little more efficient.

Maybe it pencils out different in Canada, but the point is the Electric truck is not saving huge amounts of dollars when road tripping. You have the range issue and the cost issue playing against the EV for anything but "local" transportation. The "combat radius" of an EV is 1/2 its range.
I totally agree with the range being prohibitive, road trips certainly are not it’s strong suit. It did do better than I thought it would in a real world scenario.

Correction to my numbers from TFL, it was $193 for 1223 miles, so like 27% further than I thought.

However, you’re gonna have to stop eating the Gummies from over in Colorado if you think you’ll get a average of 20 mpg with a 6.5ft/3:73 gear truck against the prevailing winds and climbing a net of 6000ft. I know that’s not your point, just poking fun.

The common go-to is around the “savings” of electricity, but when the cost of the ICE equivalent vehicle isn’t far off and has more maintenance costs, it does make the EV look a little more attractive. No phasers, timing chains or warped manifolds to contend with, lol.

Hook up a trailer and IMO the EV’s have a massive cavern to fill though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Towing shorter distances, or towing utility trailers all day, and then charging at night, are officially in the wheelhouse of that incredible truck.
So not all-towing is out of the equation. :)

By the way, you mentioned maintenance!

I know there's no way to believe the claims that are being made about the battery technology and motors in the Lightning. But there are folks that supposedly know about electrified equipment, which have been around for many many years, and some say the motors are rated for 1 million miles and the battery's for at least half that.

If that's actually true, maintenance is a pretty big item on the comparison list that sometimes doesn't get mentioned. If someone told me I would put 200,000 miles on a pickup truck with nothing more than brakes and tires?
Yes, you are right I guess when it comes to towing smaller things, they won’t impact range at the rate that campers or larger cargo trailers would.

The maintenance piece does intrigue me for sure. I love the idea of having those funds to go somewhere else, although it would probably just go toward in truck apps, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Is it?
I thought it'd be quicker than that.
Considerably even
I imagine it's strength is in the 1/8th?
I'm not sure why it would be much faster, that's right inline with the HP/weight ratio. I'm going to bet that just like you PB, the batteries are not being tapped to their full potential.

It would fair better in the 1/8th, like other EV's seem to.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Pretty abysmal, even if you use the excuse of the frontal area on those trailers. I was surprised with the poor MPG of the GM too, I figured it would have been higher.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
There's a reason we get 9mpg when we are towing parachutes.
The same reason the Lightning goes from 2 mpkw to 1mpkw.

The only real difference is the 36 gallon gas tank will get you farther at 9mpg than that battery will get you at 1 mile per kw. :)

Or put another way, a 36 gallon fuel tank will get you 600 miles not towing.
That 130KW battery is like an 18 gallon tank.
Yup, I get it. Just at the end of the day you need to do your research and make sure a lightening will fit your needs. A range of under 100miles (and the amount of time it takes to charge back up) would have me looking at other options IF I had plans to haul a trailer of that size around. It was a Toy Hauler that didn't even have toy in it, lol.

I wouldn't be loving that GM either with that tiny tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts