F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think they said around $200 to do 900 miles with some "free" power from the initial purchase. I don't know if a ICE truck could do it for that. Pricing does vary quit a bit though state to state and if you're "signed" up for that given charger infrastructure.
I mean, at 36 gallons I can fill up for $183 at the current $5.10/gallon price here in Utah, and assuming I still had stock tires and wheels, could probably do 20mpg on that trip they did. Thats 720 miles. I've done that in real life with my truck on 275/60R20 Duratracs. It would not cost me a whole lot more to drive that then it did them.

And this is a 2014 steel body truck. I am assuming a 2022 aluminum 10 speed truck could be a little more efficient.

Maybe it pencils out different in Canada, but the point is the Electric truck is not saving huge amounts of dollars when road tripping. You have the range issue and the cost issue playing against the EV for anything but "local" transportation. The "combat radius" of an EV is 1/2 its range.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,515 Posts
I have spent 4 decades on a battery powered lift truck on my job. The advances made in industry are reaching the public use domain. Still though the fact I had a 500 mile estimated range on my last trip (with the standardb 23 gallon tank) convinced me the infrastructure in rural areas is not there. Regularly went 400 miles between filling, and that only took minutes. Base cost for me is another factor. After 4 years+ on my base F150 adding the cost of modifications I'm still under $40000 out of pocket. The trip from Durango to Phoenix would have required more planning and detours. Same with driving the Continental divide. I go a lot of places with no access to quick chargers. The EV is still in it's infancy and the infrastructure still needs much work. I'm not anti EV, just practical for my own usage. KM

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Why would I need a car when I can go anywhere I want on my horse? Water and hay are easy to find, gasoline is scarce and expensive.

I bet that’s what they were saying when the new fangled automobile came out.

It’s just a matter of time until the infrastructure catches up and we will fondly recall ICE vehicles as we sit in self driving EV’s that don’t even have steering wheels.

I just hope that day comes a long, long time from now. I still miss my old horse.
🐴. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
I mean, at 36 gallons I can fill up for $183 at the current $5.10/gallon price here in Utah, and assuming I still had stock tires and wheels, could probably do 20mpg on that trip they did. Thats 720 miles. I've done that in real life with my truck on 275/60R20 Duratracs. It would not cost me a whole lot more to drive that then it did them.

And this is a 2014 steel body truck. I am assuming a 2022 aluminum 10 speed truck could be a little more efficient.

Maybe it pencils out different in Canada, but the point is the Electric truck is not saving huge amounts of dollars when road tripping. You have the range issue and the cost issue playing against the EV for anything but "local" transportation. The "combat radius" of an EV is 1/2 its range.
I totally agree with the range being prohibitive, road trips certainly are not it’s strong suit. It did do better than I thought it would in a real world scenario.

Correction to my numbers from TFL, it was $193 for 1223 miles, so like 27% further than I thought.

However, you’re gonna have to stop eating the Gummies from over in Colorado if you think you’ll get a average of 20 mpg with a 6.5ft/3:73 gear truck against the prevailing winds and climbing a net of 6000ft. I know that’s not your point, just poking fun.

The common go-to is around the “savings” of electricity, but when the cost of the ICE equivalent vehicle isn’t far off and has more maintenance costs, it does make the EV look a little more attractive. No phasers, timing chains or warped manifolds to contend with, lol.

Hook up a trailer and IMO the EV’s have a massive cavern to fill though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
Towing shorter distances, or towing utility trailers all day, and then charging at night, are officially in the wheelhouse of that incredible truck.
So not all-towing is out of the equation. :)

By the way, you mentioned maintenance!

I know there's no way to believe the claims that are being made about the battery technology and motors in the Lightning. But there are folks that supposedly know about electrified equipment, which have been around for many many years, and some say the motors are rated for 1 million miles and the battery's for at least half that.

If that's actually true, maintenance is a pretty big item on the comparison list that sometimes doesn't get mentioned. If someone told me I would put 200,000 miles on a pickup truck with nothing more than brakes and tires?

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Exactly. This is perfect for tugging the boat to the lake, building materials home from the warehouse, etc.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Why would I need a car when I can go anywhere I want on my horse? Water and hay are easy to find, gasoline is scarce and expensive.

I bet that’s what they were saying when the new fangled automobile came out.

It’s just a matter of time until the infrastructure catches up and we will fondly recall ICE vehicles as we sit in self driving EV’s that don’t even have steering wheels.

I just hope that day comes a long, long time from now. I still miss my old horse.
. :cool:
Cause a horse can’t cruise at 90 mph on the freeway no matter what you feed it. Something to do with them only having 1 HP.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Towing shorter distances, or towing utility trailers all day, and then charging at night, are officially in the wheelhouse of that incredible truck.
So not all-towing is out of the equation. :)

By the way, you mentioned maintenance!

I know there's no way to believe the claims that are being made about the battery technology and motors in the Lightning. But there are folks that supposedly know about electrified equipment, which have been around for many many years, and some say the motors are rated for 1 million miles and the battery's for at least half that.

If that's actually true, maintenance is a pretty big item on the comparison list that sometimes doesn't get mentioned. If someone told me I would put 200,000 miles on a pickup truck with nothing more than brakes and tires?
Yes, you are right I guess when it comes to towing smaller things, they won’t impact range at the rate that campers or larger cargo trailers would.

The maintenance piece does intrigue me for sure. I love the idea of having those funds to go somewhere else, although it would probably just go toward in truck apps, lol.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Yes, you are right I guess when it comes to towing smaller things, they won’t impact range at the rate that campers or larger cargo trailers would.

The maintenance piece does intrigue me for sure. I love the idea of having those funds to go somewhere else, although it would probably just go toward in truck apps, lol.

But what will you tinker with?

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
Is it?
I thought it'd be quicker than that.
Considerably even
I imagine it's strength is in the 1/8th?

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Is it?
Considerably even
I'm not sure why it would be much faster, that's right inline with the HP/weight ratio. I'm going to bet that just like you PB, the batteries are not being tapped to their full potential.

It would fair better in the 1/8th, like other EV's seem to.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
The lightning ran a 12.9 in the quarter. Impressive for that heavy of a truck, but there’s lots of ecoboosts that are that fast or faster.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Judging by the Mach-E (even the GT version), I don't think Ford is going for "melt your face" acceleration to migrate folks to EVs. Perhaps like the Mach-E, full power tapers off after a few seconds - appeared to do that on the Ike after they pinned it a little.

Hopefully this means they are focusing on reliability, and then have the option to dial up power in the future, perhaps OTA?

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Ford has slightly dialed up SOC parameters on the Mach-E after the first years worth of cloud-data had been collected.

It's no secret that they are VERY conservative with their battery health so far. Even the Hybrid F150 is extremely conservative with that teeny tiny battery.

There's a lot of potential being untapped

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Is it?
Considerably even
It weights 6800 lbs. Its lb to hp ratio is only a hair better than an XLT 3.5L Ecoboost(Assuming it weighs around 5200 lbs.)

Thats a lot of mass it has to make up for.

I assume the standard battery version won't be particularly fast with the 140 less HP. I can't imagine it weights more than a few hundred lbs less. It will still jump off the line though.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts