F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
A really good quick look from a mechanic shop point of view

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,472 Posts
I'm very intrigued by this truck.
Would be awesome as a 2nd vehicle/truck.

I'm really really digging it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's a pretty impressive video. If I didn't have a camper I would certainly consider one but the hit when towing is too much for me.

As a second car though an electric vehicle makes a ton of sense.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I find myself out in the woods, far from an electrical outlet of any kind far too often to rely on one of these.

It is impressive and makes me optimistic for the future of EV's.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,057 Posts
I find myself out in the woods, far from an electrical outlet of any kind far too often to rely on one of these.

It is impressive and makes me optimistic for the future of EV's.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
When you get stranded, just send me an alert. I'll come charge you up.
It's a non-profit rescue venture, but campfire grub is always appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I remain impressed with the fundamentals of the Lightning.

However I know there is coming a day when it will be dang near impossible to buy a new ICE vehicle. I’m not interested in rushing to that point.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Pretty condensed and uncomplicated comparison of ICE/Hybrid/EV

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

This was an interesting comparison, and also hilarious/telling to the realities of owning an EV and trying to drive longer distances.

It would have been interesting to see what a GM or Ford 2.7 would have done on 87 octane. I bet it would have been close to or cheaper than the duramax.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
11 Stops in 1300 miles is aggressive.

But in a normal day, its not a problem.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
They are starting to arrive at dealerships. (mannequins and customer orders)

Man I need a fleet license. Lol

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Sky

Font Gas Handwriting Auto part Signage

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

90 miles towing a travel trailer. Probably 100 if they totally drained it.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Pretty abysmal, even if you use the excuse of the frontal area on those trailers. I was surprised with the poor MPG of the GM too, I figured it would have been higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
There's a reason we get 9mpg when we are towing parachutes.
The same reason the Lightning goes from 2 mpkw to 1mpkw.

The only real difference is the 36 gallon gas tank will get you farther at 9mpg than that battery will get you at 1 mile per kw. :)

Or put another way, a 36 gallon fuel tank will get you 600 miles not towing.
That 130KW battery is like an 18 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts

The only real difference is the 36 gallon gas tank will get you farther at 9mpg than that battery will get you at 1 mile per kw. :)

Yeah, I was gunna say, even the GMC's punny 24 gallon tank was able to go almost double and still had like 7 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts

Yup, I get it. Just at the end of the day you need to do your research and make sure a lightening will fit your needs. A range of under 100miles (and the amount of time it takes to charge back up) would have me looking at other options IF I had plans to haul a trailer of that size around. It was a Toy Hauler that didn't even have toy in it, lol.

I wouldn't be loving that GM either with that tiny tank.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Yup, I get it. Just at the end of the day you need to do your research and make sure a lightening will fit your needs. A range of under 100miles (and the amount of time it takes to charge back up) would have me looking at other options IF I had plans to haul a trailer of that size around. It was a Toy Hauler that didn't even have toy in it, lol.

I wouldn't be loving that GM either with that tiny tank.
It astounds me that GM doesnt offer a larger tank. The 3.0 Duramax would make the 24 gallon tank ok, but still, I think a 3.5 Ecoboost with the 36 gallon tank would have more range.

And ram has the Ecodiesel with a 33 gallon tank, you could tow forever with that.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
Maybe GM’s buyer research and statistics indicates that they typically cannot afford to fill up their tanks, so they made them smaller to save weight.
;)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts