F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
It's obvious what the Achilles heal is for EV pick-up trucks.
So unless you are one of the millions that drive a pickup truck but never use it as a tow rig, then an EV truck is not a good fit.

Again, for me personally the Lightning could easily be my daily 99% of the time. But that 1% is HUGE when it's time to tow. So I couldn't be a one horse fella.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
8250 GVWR.
If I wanted an EV for daily running around and not towing I sure wouldn't pick a big heavy truck.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
8250 GVWR.
If I wanted an EV for daily running around and not towing I sure wouldn't pick a big heavy truck.
Thank you.

Screw driving a full size truck around just because

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
It's heavy, but it's low weight and from the vast feedback from reviews, it carries it well.

It's not like an empty CrewCab F150 Ecoboost is a light vehicle. :)

I have some fun to drive choices daily. As light as 2300lbs. Still, I truly enjoy commuting in a truck.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
8250 GVWR.
Like a Tesla or Mach-e DOESN'T have a big enough trunk for groceries? You'd have to be an in-town Costco shopper or buying a lot of plants from a local hardware store. If I'm going EV it's going to be something decent sized, but very fast and have a long range.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Well ya I mean for my use the Chevy Volt or even smaller would work fine. I don't need it to go fast or have a range more than 300-400 miles. I just need a full electric for running around town and maybe going 100 miles to Little Rock or Branson or Memphis and back and definitely to go 40 miles roundtrip to my beautiful GF's place. A 4 seater would be great.

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I love the fact that the Lightning doesn't look like an EV.
Nor is it stark inside, or trying too hard to not look like a normal car/truck.
The fact that it's as big as an F150 just means it's as versatile as an F150 always has been.
But then I grew up in rural truck culture. It's ingrained I suppose.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I grew up in rural truck culture also, of course, but running around town on errands and getting groceries or anything not towing or hauling much, seems like a pickup is overkill. I can have good sound and comfy seats in a small car.

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I can't argue that, of course.
Afterall, it's well documented that I have alternative vehicles myself. But I gotta be honest, it's not because the truck is too big or is overkill, as you put it.
First they are just plain FUN to drive. I love shifting gears and they both handle like Go-Karts. They keep me young!
But the second reason, and it's sorta related to what your point is, every mile put on the cars is a mile not put on the truck. That's an economic equation in the truest sense. I admit it. The cars are cheap little toys and the truck is many times the investment. Having fun while extending the life of the truck is good sen$e. :)

By the way, I feel the same way about fetching that entry level F150 Lightning. It's half the price of the Powerboost and its bound to be a hoot to put those same toy-miles on.

I know. I find a way to fit my perspective to suit my desires. My mom told me I was always that way. Lol

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
  • Sad
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I think it's hilarious that TFL suggested that the ordering banks are open so "now if you want one, you can order one"

Nope. :)

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
By the way, the price increase is far from a Lightning exclusive.

The ICE F150 Lariat base price increased $7500, for example.

About the same as the Lightning Pro that I hope to acquire eventually. Jumped to $47k

• Helpful

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
There are more $80k F150's on the road than you can shake a stick at these days.
And most owners of them don't do anything a Lightning couldn't do.
THIS. Alot of the owners don't do anything a Chevy Volt couldn't do also.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,572 Posts
There are more $80k F150's on the road than you can shake a stick at these days.
And most owners of them don't do anything a Lightning couldn't do.
Ain't that the truth

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
Ain't that the truth
Full disclosure 🤣

I know this because I'm commuting in one every day and I guess I live in a place where I'm surrounded by trucks just like it. They're everywhere I look.

(note: when you buy a car or truck, you suddenly notice the same car or truck without effort)

I haven't towed anything heavy or far yet.
So the only thing I have used this truck for that a Lightning at the SAME price couldn't match or do better, is round trips same day to San Antonio. (~400 miles)
If I was in the dolled up equally priced Lightning, I would either spend the night at my dad's place, or hit me up one of those Walmart fast chargers before I left San Antonio?

Still, if they passed a law "One truck allowed", I ain't letting go of this Powerboost for any other truck but a better Powerboost.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I don’t know why the viewpoint on trucks is always so negative.

Always being told it’s improper / impractical / blasphemous to commute in an $XX truck that gets YY mpg.

But no qualms when someone daily drives a sports car or luxo barge that costs the same $XX or returns the same YY mpg.

We could all be driving Prii.

Or riding the bus.

But most do not.

//rant

61 - 80 of 82 Posts