F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a leveled 2016 Platinum 3.5 currently running 20 inch Hostile wheels with 295/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I love the look and performance off-road... However I drive about 50K per year and am considering a switch to a 17 or 18 inch wheel with a 275 or 285 width tire that would still look aggressive but save on weight.

My Ridge Grapplers are 61.29 lbs and the wheels are 34.1 lbs so so am sitting at about 95.5 lbs per corner.

I’d like to find a lighter weight wheel in a 17 or 18 and get out of the E rated tire to find a lighter option that still looks aggressive. Curious if anyone has found a combo they like that had met these goals?

I just upgraded to GT turbos and added a number of other mods and I miss the lighter weight, softer feel of a non E tire for daily driving - can def feel it.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
673 Posts
Maybe you have too much PSI in the tires when not loaded ? Maybe try stock size P275/55-20, P275/65-18, or P265/75-17 on aluminum wheels ? If you are taking a MPG hit, maybe get the nose down out of the air like it should be ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PSI is correct and the current combo is performing as it should for what it is - I’m just looking to go with a lighter set-up and a non E rated tire.

I’d like to shave about 20 lbs per corner and was wondering what combos others are running for lighter weights while still retaining a nice, aggressive look.

Nitto has a 285/70/17 that weighs 48.7 lbs I’ve been looking at.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
For what it’s worth, my OEM FX4 20’s weighs 80 lbs. With Goodyear Wranglers. OEM rims are on the heavy side.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
673 Posts
ALUMINUM WHEELS AND STOCK TIRE SIZE.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I have heard the VenomRex wheels are very light weight. Not sure they post official numbers but i believe someone on here weighted the 20x10” in the low 20’s.

Ive found that most of the “cheaper” tires are heavier. Nittos, General grabbers, wildpeaks, etc all seem super heavy. Ive been looking at them in 17 and 18” sizes for my GX460.

Duratracs, KO2’s and a few others seem to be a bit lighter for the same size and load range.

I am personally running a stock 20” wheel and 275/60R20 Wrangler Duratracs, 1” bigger than stock, and saw no noticeable change in mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The non-E Ridge Grappler, that I just found out they make, in a 285/70/17 is 48 pounds. I know 17 inch wheels can get fairly light so assuming I find a 22lb or less 17 inch wheel, I’ll be at a max of 70 pounds per corner - 25lbs less per corner than my current setup. That’s 100lbs less rotating mass which is HUGE

Wondering if anyone else has found a nice, lightweight combo that still looks good that they’d like to share? I’ve been researching non-E rated tires like crazy and want to make sure I’m not overlooking a good option.

My truck is also a Denim Blue Platinum - so wheel choice is key for me to not ruin the looks. There is a fine line....!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts