F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys I am new to this forum and love the info I get from it,I have a question for the guys who tow a lot with there ecoboost. I am in the market for a 5th wheel the one Im looking at has a gvw of 9900lbs, hitch weight of 1270lbs and a dry weight of 6970lbs. overall length is 28'5. i have a 2011 ecoboost super crew fx4 with 3.73 it does not have max tow but does have the brake controller. Im wondering what your opinions are on how well this setup will work?I will be taking trips to colorado and to yellowstone and dont want to be the guy who hold up traffic or worry about over working the truck, ive seen guys on here pulling way more but they do have max tow, it will be just me and my wife. i am thinking of installing air bags and will be putting in the slider hitch. I have talked to a few guys on here and they had great info and i would love to hear what everyone else had to say. Thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
You should have plenty of power, but make sure you have a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Slider hitch is a good start, you may or may not need it. Make sure you get a max tow pkg minimum, and depending on the hitch weight you may need to grab the HD payload package. Alot of being able to tow a fifth wheel comes down to how the weight is going to load up over the trailer axles. My Wildcat 282rkx is 1280lbs hitch dry, I sit level when loaded up and is probably the max hitch weight I can go to stay safe and within the limits of my truck. Any good and reputable RV dealer will make sure your safe, but it never hurts to do your own math to make sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
how would i get a max tow package now?
You can't get the max tow pkg after the fact, it is a factory option. Involves a 3.73 rear end, towing mirrors, and tranny cooler. If you do not have a max tow pkg currently you either need to trade in for one or look at bumper pulls that fit your weight ratings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If youll post your VIN # I can easily tell you what your limits are.

·
Registered
394 Posts
how would i get a max tow package now?
You can't get the max tow pkg after the fact, it is a factory option. Involves a 3.73 rear end, towing mirrors, and tranny cooler. If you do not have a max tow pkg currently you either need to trade in for one or look at bumper pulls that fit your weight ratings.
Looks like if you don't have the max tow package now, but already have the 3.73's in your ecoboost ....all you need to do is add the transmission cooler and the big mirrors (if you desire the big mirrors).

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1ftfw1et5bfc91080

Your truck is a 7200 GVWR 4x4 supercrew with 3.73. Looks like per Ford's online specs you have a max payload of 1520... that's 1520 before options. Per online specs, looks like your max towable weight is around 9600lbs. Look on your door jam and see what your GAWR, GVWR, and payload ratings are. I'm thinking your GCWR is 15,000lbs.
I will check that out ASAP, i talked to a guy on here that had a trailer almost just like the one im wanting and he didnt have max tow or even 3.73 and he said it pulled like a dream. i understand my payload may not be enough but would the air bags help?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The airbags can help keep the truck level and makt the tow a little easier. I would definitely recommend that you get a tranny cooler. Your truck should be able to handle it and having the airbags will help, but I would be more worried about the transmission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just keep in mind, if your towing over the ratings of your truck and have a wreck.... bad things will happen. Outside of that, so long as you are towing safely and have complete control of the truck it's your choice. Airbags will help, you could also look at the Roadmaster suspension helpers, lots of RV dealers carry them and are better than airbags. Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys I am new to this forum and love the info I get from it,I have a question for the guys who tow a lot with there ecoboost. I am in the market for a 5th wheel the one Im looking at has a gvw of 9900lbs, hitch weight of 1270lbs and a dry weight of 6970lbs. overall length is 28'5. i have a 2011 ecoboost super crew fx4 with 3.73 it does not have max tow but does have the brake controller. Im wondering what your opinions are on how well this setup will work?I will be taking trips to colorado and to yellowstone and dont want to be the guy who hold up traffic or worry about over working the truck, ive seen guys on here pulling way more but they do have max tow, it will be just me and my wife. i am thinking of installing air bags and will be putting in the slider hitch. I have talked to a few guys on here and they had great info and i would love to hear what everyone else had to say. Thanks
As someone who's towed campers for over 30 years, don't do it. You will be exceeding the design (payload) of your vehicle. Payload and towing capacity are two totally different things and need to be treated as such.

You're under your payload with your dry weight, but then add your weight, your wifes weight, your dogs/cats weight, gas, oil, propane tanks, food, any water you may carry, and anything else you put inside your RV. I currently have a 25' travel trailer and know for a fact that we have over 700 pounds of stuff in our TT and we pack light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So let's do the math...
7200# (GVWR) - 1270# (Tongue Weight) = 5930#

Now subtract the base weight of the vehicle, 5615# (assuming 145" WB) and that leaves 315# for payload. If the driver weighs 200# and you have a half a tank of gas, you have reached your limit. This assumes the trailer is loaded to the limit and the max tongue weight is met. Of course the GVWR of the trailer (9900#) exceeds the allowable GVWR trailer weight of 9600# to start with.

Now supppose you had 2000# of gear in the trailer (8970#) with a tongue weight of 1150# (12.83% of 8970), you can add another 120# to the payload.

The joys of towing with a half ton pickup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's all about being legal. When I went to buy my new jayco I saw there new half ton towable 5ther's but by the time you add the pin weight, hitch weight and full load in the trailer I had 200# to work with. Now you put my 250# ass in the truck and my wife and dog I'm not legal to pull out of the drive way. It's all good till something happens. If you have an accident and the insurance company see a 1/2 ton pulling a 5th the will investigate to see if you are over weight long of the short I bought my 32' jayco eagle TT bumper pull

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I was going to worry about the strength necessary to carry the load I would try to get a good buy by searching the boneyards for the 3/4 ton/1 ton rear axle and springs complete from the same year truck!

Remember that springs and shocks can easily be upgraded, but the real safety issue is the strength of the rear axle and tires to carry the load! That's why I would get the entire rear end setup and convert your 1/2 ton to an 3/4 or single tired 1 ton. You might get lucky and find a truck in your year that was totaled, but the rear end is ok! It might take some looking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I was going to worry about the strength necessary to carry the load I would try to get a good buy by searching the boneyards for the 3/4 ton/1 ton rear axle and springs complete from the same year truck!

Remember that springs and shocks can easily be upgraded, but the real safety issue is the strength of the rear axle and tires to carry the load! That's why I would get the entire rear end setup and convert your 1/2 ton to an 3/4 or single tired 1 ton. You might get lucky and find a truck in your year that was totaled, but the rear end is ok! It might take some looking.
Ill just trade it off for a power stroke before I'd go down that road. Sounds like alot of work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have a 157inch wheelbase truck, you can easily update the leaf springs to the HD payload spring pack. Shocks on the rear are very easy to do, and all of the 3.73 axles are 9.75 inches so basically same axle, it's just the 7 lug wheel assemblies are different that attach to said axle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts