F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Livernois tune this weekend. All I can say is AMAZING. I looked at all of the different types outthere: SCT, Livewire, Livernois,Bullydog, and everything else that’s not coming to mind. After talking to different retailers (andasking a lot of questions of them), I found that so many guys really don’t knowwhat they are talking about when it comes to the specifics of what the tunedoes and how it was created; and more importantly how I’m going to make morepower safely. Rick over at Livernois wasthe only guy that could actually make me feel like he knew what was going on…andhe’s very knowledgeable AND helpful.
Anyhow, I uploaded the 93 tune first, and the differenceover stock in unreal. Turn off the TCand it spins the tires right through first gear. The shifts are fast and precise (but notHARD). The truck just pulls and pullsuntil you let of the gas. It’s hard tobelieve it’s a truck I’m driving. Undernormal driving, the increased throttle response and slightly modified shiftpoints make it so much more fun.
My truck is a Platinum, and I was really concerned aboutloose the perfect ride when it came to tranny changes…but if you are on thefence and worried about that aspect, don’t. It is just a smooth of a ride as stock, and much more fun the drive.
Back to the power and torque…it’s a huge difference. Again, if you are on the fence about spendingthe money on a tuner (any tuner)…you really need to do it. You’ll be so glad you did. I’m writing all this because it’s what Ineeded to see when I didn’t know whether to get a tuner or not. And, as I said above, I’d recommend theLivernois tuner. Super straight forwardand easy to use with no problems or concerns.
Can’t wait to drive the EB around now.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is sweet I'm happy to hear you pulled the trigger! When the time comes I think they are who I'm going with. Did they say their,tunes could hand a CAI, mid pipe, exhaust ect?

·
Registered
152 Posts
THANKYOU for puting this thread on here!Maybe thats who I need too talk to then. I'm having the same problem with A company on here. I can't seem to get a straight answer either! just one sentence answers to very specific questions. Also tryed to give or get phone #'s to talk about it with this company and again get one sentence answers with a link to order the product! never a call!like there scared to talk over the phone! I'm done with them for sure! Does the Livernois have the ability to display live information like the SCT livewire? that is whats making me lean towards them..If Livernois product can do that I'm definately in. I know Livernois was the first tuner out there that had good reviews in the beginning of the EB's. Many of them were very glitchy. I hear good stuff from SCT now as well. Like AK asked do they factor in other mods such as a CAI and exhaust?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Livernois can figure the CAI, exhaust, or any other mods into your tune. Even better...if you make any changes in the future, they can update your tuner via the internet. The unit comes with a USB cable that you plug in and they make the changes and make the updates that you can re-flash to your truck. Or if Ford makes any computer changes that would produce better tune results somehow...they can update that as well. When you first order, you have to provide the "stradegy code" from the truck's computer, so you know the tune is for your setup specifically.

They tuner itself is pretty basic. It's just a device to get the software into the truck. Nothing fancy like SCT and some others have with the color screen. Although I think they look really cool, I personally didn't want a screen in my truck like that, so it wasn't a consideration for my needs. It's just a monitoring tool to look at anyway...I was most concerned that the truck did what it's supposed to; and that it does! I don't need to watch all that stuff (I like the "stock" look). But that's just me.

As fx4 4fun has experienced, I was getting those vauge one-sentence answers from other places too. Just didn't make me feel comfortable. Rick at Livernois was so helpful and made me think he actually had seen an Ecoboost or two. A+ place I thought. AND from time of order, I had my device within a couple days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What are your gains with this Tune? Do any of you have before and after Dyno information. I can tell that the "Butt Dyno" is showing some gains, but I am just interested in the real numbers for this tuner.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know how it performs with larger tires? I keep hearing about the livernois and my local offroad shop is recommending the cts evolution. but they did side note that i am paying more simply for the screen and ability to have the gauges. Does livernois offer the ability to return to stock/ do they have an eco tune as well? or just a straight performance tune. read the signature. i dont know everything about trucks but i dont necesarilly trust everything i read on the internet. Im leaning towards the cts evolution because they have the eco, towing, performance, and extreme tunes also with the ability to return to stock. Though i know ford can tell if you've ever changed it around regardless if it's returned to stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
New to forum,considering a 2013 6.5ft king ranch with ecoboost,do you guys notice just more power and torq,or is there noticable gain in mpg?will this void warranty? thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SPPD - I don't have "dyno" numbers. I think Livernois has that information on their website.

SPENCER - Livernois DOES take into account for your tire size (if different from stock). You provide them with your tire size and that all does into the tune. The unit you get hold you stock tune and an additioal 4 tunes of your choice. There is 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane tunes. Then there's performance and tow tunes. So there's 8 different base tunes to pick from. You chose the 4 you want and they adjust them specifically for your truck. The 93 octane performance tune gets you 100+ HP and TQ at the upper RPM level. It's simply amazing the difference. Mine is set on the 93 performance tune, as it's the most fun and powerful. When winter comes around again, I'll switch over to the 87 performance tune so I'm no spending as much on gas since I don't need more power in the snow.

SUBSLINGER - There is a slight MPG increase...I noticed about 1 mpg better on the highway. I couldn't tell you in the city because it's too much fun to keep my foot out of the pedal. I've heard of others getting 2 mpg better, but that's probably 2WD, shot-box trucks I'd guess. If you're looking for a reason to buy, then yes, at 1 mpg increase; it will pay for itself someday in the distant future. If you are looking at it just to get better mpg, then sorry, it isn't going to help that much.

The neat thing about Livernois is that it's not just the engine they adjust, but the transmission as well. Whether it be for performance or towing, the tranny upgrade is also very nice.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
To back up the OP, I just installed the Airaid intake with LMS performance tune on my 2012. The difference is incredible. Livernois does have the dyno numbers on their site.
Yes you can return the truck to stock.
They offer performance and tow packages for every octane. You can pick up to 4 different combinations. I personally got performance 87,89, and 93. Tow 87.
Rick LeBlanc is a GREAT person to deal with if you have questions about their tunes or general information.
I run 305/55/20 Nitto trail grapplers with the LMS tune.
I love it and would recommend it to everyone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks to everyone for there info. I found a place close to home that is going to custom tune my truck. I am getting IMO the best tune for my truck this way.I made sure the shop is reputable and comes highly reccommended. These guys make there living tuning 1500hp drag cars as well as daily drivers. They are also very familiar with the EB f150's. They can give the safest most reliable tunes for MY truck with the mods that I have on it. I was told to bring the truck with the gas I use(91). I get some great minds and 4 hours of dyno time to produce the best #'s for my truck, which is backed up with eye witnessing and hard data. If I was to go any other way I would definately go with the livernois unit though. For a canned tune they get as personal and custom as you can get from what I have read. And are more then happy to talk with you about the process to deliver a great product. But for me a custom dyno tune can't be beat! It costs a little more no doubt ,but my truck and piece of mind are worth it. Booked in for next monday. can't wait!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FX4 4FUN - Please post some dyno results. Very interested in knowing the difference between a full-custom dyno tune versus the Livernois. I wasn't lucky enough to have a dyno close to me, but I'd still like to know what more, if anything, can be gained from the custom. You'll LOVE the difference!

·
Registered
152 Posts
FX4 4FUN - Please post some dyno results. Very interested in knowing the difference between a full-custom dyno tune versus the Livernois. I wasn't lucky enough to have a dyno close to me, but I'd still like to know what more, if anything, can be gained from the custom. You'll LOVE the difference!
Will do cobra! I don't know that I will boast any bigger #'s then the canned version, I can only hope I guess. I am sure the gains will be substantial, even if they aren't as much as what people have posted with there canned tuners, I'm fine with that. I will know I will have what is best for my truck. they monitor exhaust readings to make sure I am getting proper detination and also a bunch of other stuff thats way over my head. What I have to keep in mind is that I run on 91 octane not 93-94,I also live at 2300ft above sea level so that may play a part as well. I will keep you posted for sure, and thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
just to be clear, livernois, is not a "canned tune"! rick makes these tunes himself specific to your ecm code...some tuners come with "canned" tunes already programmed in that are generic to the ecoboost overall.
livernois offers custom tunes!
go to their site and read some of the info to learn more!
and although the shop you are going to may know how to max out your truck and racecars...does not mean they have tested ecoboost tunes for months and driven around to check all around driveability and not overstressing the motor...
just sayin...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a good point. They have multiple vehicles: F150, Flex, SHO that they have tested, and tested, and tested...driver, raced, towed, etc. As I said in the beginning. This is a tune just for your truck with more testing behind it than anyone else.

·
Registered
152 Posts
just to be clear, livernois, is not a "canned tune"! rick makes these tunes himself specific to your ecm code...some tuners come with "canned" tunes already programmed in that are generic to the ecoboost overall.
livernois offers custom tunes!
go to their site and read some of the info to learn more!
and although the shop you are going to may know how to max out your truck and racecars...does not mean they have tested ecoboost tunes for months and driven around to check all around driveability and not overstressing the motor...
just sayin...
Easy there trigger! If you would have read EVERYTHING I said maybe you would have responded differently to my comments! I know all about Livernois,have been to there website and talked with people who have them installed! I even said that if I didn't go the route I am taking now, that Livernois is the product I would be using for sure. But let me educate YOU maybe a little bit! I chose to go to a place that is Reputable and comes highly reccommended,not just in the race world but with everyday drivers like mine.+ they have plenty of experience with the f150eb.(read the whole thread from where it starts and you would see all this has already been said) Also what I can expect from my tune is a SAFE quality product that has been specially matched for MY truck(not a truck LIKE mine with the same ecm code) with the gas that I use at the elevation I live at with the mod's that I have, proven and calibrated with the help of a dyno and other diagnostic equipment hooked up to MY TRUCK! Ensuring first and formost the reliability of the tune. Now Livernois can offer a specific tune to your mods with the gas you use,there is no doubt about it! But I highly doubt they can do the rest of what I just explained(AGAIN) over the phone. Or by sending a program over the net. What I'm trying to say is,I am not discrediting Livernois, far from it. They would be the tuner of choice for me if I didn't have this other option available to me. But to get a true "CUSTOM" tune for your truck, You need a dyno + all the other equipment hooked up to YOUR truck! Please before responding to a particular comment in the future,read the whole thread,Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's a good point. They have multiple vehicles: F150, Flex, SHO that they have tested, and tested, and tested...driver, raced, towed, etc. As I said in the beginning. This is a tune just for your truck with more testing behind it than anyone else.
Ok. With that reasoning then what your saying is every engine and power train is the same. Well I can assure you this is not true. every component of a vehicle is built to spec,yes. But within that spec is a certain tolerence that these components must fall between. That said,I could have the same exact truck as you(ENGINE,TRANSMISION,TRANSFERCASE AND DIFFERENTIAL) and they are all within the same "spec" But all the tolerence's may slightly differ. So when you add all of these components together you will no doubt find they run slightly different from eachother. This is a fact and has been proven to be a valid statement. Especially where vehicles are mass produced. That is why I decided to go the route of a "true custom tune". Again I am not here to discredit the Livernois product, I know they have done there homework for sure and there support is top notch. But at the end of the day, they are still selling a product. What I am getting is a service provided to me. Now how can you beat that. A "product" lives in the world of averages,meaning they will do a study of so many units and find an average and thats what they sell. To think the #'s are all the same from one unit to the other is not realistic at all. A "service" provides a more refined product for me. I have no doubt that if I brought 2 identical trucks to them. that the baseline #'s as well as the final tune #'s would be slightly different. I am very comfortable in the place I have chosen to take my truck.+ I know they have plenty of experience with the f150 ecoboost. I wouldn't put almost 50K of truck into just anybody's hands! +I can physically shake that persons hands after. For me thats piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
About this Discussion
95 Replies
37 Participants
brainards1
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing