F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, the tires that came with my 2013 SCREW lariat 3.5 (max tow) are Ironman RB SUV, which are P rated. I think the last owner put them on there knowing they were going to sell this truck… I’ve been doing a lot of research and I think I may get a set of Toyo A/T But I am undecided between load rating C vs E.

I am towing a 7500# gvwr 32’ travel trailer, 900lb tongue weight,RAW of truck is close to max. I plan to drive mostly hwy, some gravel roads to go mountain biking or to drive trailer to a free camp site (BLM etc).

I’m currently getting 7mpg driving 1000miles from Portland to Moab. It’s a bit windy so I know that’s a factor.

My question is: will I see a >1mpg loss when towing? I dont know if I can handle 6 or less MPG 😢

Also, can someone point me toward a company who can sell me a tow tune? Would that help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I forgot to add that I will be using the truck as my daily driver for work… I am a home health RN and will put 12 to 15,000 miles a year just driving around on paved roads.

I understand that a lot of people would say do the 10 ply E rating tire, but I feel a C rated tire with six PLY would be a definite upgrade from my four ply passenger tire….

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What size wheel are you?

I know some people around here swear by E-range, but they are really overkill from a weight rating perspective. If you are on a 17-18" wheel then you might welcome the stiffer side wall, but I can say without a doubt that I have never felt the need for more tire than my 33" P rated duratracs on 20's(275/60R20). In fact, I just bought another set and am having them put on today. I've never felt like the tires cause any kind of slop.

C range is really not much different from P from what I can tell. I went from a P265/70R16 Duratrac to a LT265/75R16 C range duratrac on my jeep. The LT was basically the same weight(despite being an inch taller), has the same maximum pressure rating, and has the same load carrying capacity at 2470 lbs each. The only big difference between the P and LT is that the LT's usually come with a deeper tread.(18/32" vs 16/32" on the duratrac).

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Unless you are going to tow heavy/max limit, go with the C's. Max limit go E's.
A GREAT Tow Tune IMO and all I've ever run is 5* perf/tow tunes.
That will help with your mpg's....err unless you have a REAL heavy foot-lol
Seriously....even on a 5* 87 p/t tune I've seen up to 11mpg's pulling my 38' 9k dry travel palace!
20190806_132233.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
And as far as towing tunes, 5Star has the best tune from what I have tried on the 11-14 trucks. Its just incredibly dialed in, especially the shifting. The other tow tunes I have are from Gearhead, Brew City Boost, and Unleashed and I always end up back with 5Star.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I got some "XL" (ExtraLoad) rated tires. They are #2600 max weight each @ 50 psi, so roughly the same as LR C tires. I've got the OEM 20" wheels and these seem to do just fine compared to the P tires that came with the truck.

Yes, even the P tires had more than enough load rating for each tire compared to the rear axle rating of #4050, but I just wanted the extra bit of load rating and not have to pay the huge penalty in weight as the E tires would have.. They weigh a lot more than even a C tire, so it would not help the mpg's at all.

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I forgot to add that I will be using the truck as my daily driver for work… I am a home health RN and will put 12 to 15,000 miles a year just driving around on paved roads.

I understand that a lot of people would say do the 10 ply E rating tire, but I feel a C rated tire with six PLY would be a definite upgrade from my four ply passenger tire….
275/65
What size wheel are you?

I know some people around here swear by E-range, but they are really overkill from a weight rating perspective. If you are on a 17-18" wheel then you might welcome the stiffer side wall, but I can say without a doubt that I have never felt the need for more tire than my 33" P rated duratracs on 20's(275/60R20). In fact, I just bought another set and am having them put on today. I've never felt like the tires cause any kind of slop.

C range is really not much different from P from what I can tell. I went from a P265/70R16 Duratrac to a LT265/75R16 C range duratrac on my jeep. The LT was basically the same weight(despite being an inch taller), has the same maximum pressure rating, and has the same load carrying capacity at 2470 lbs each. The only big difference between the P and LT is that the LT's usually come with a deeper tread.(18/32" vs 16/32" on the duratrac).
they are stock 275/65/18 but was thinking about going to 70’s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And as far as towing tunes, 5Star has the best tune from what I have tried on the 11-14 trucks. Its just incredibly dialed in, especially the shifting. The other tow tunes I have are from Gearhead, Brew City Boost, and Unleashed and I always end up back with 5Star.
Will the negatively affect daily non-towing driving? Can the tube be “turned off”?

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my previous truck I had a set of Cooper Discovers AT3. It’s a E rated tire ,quiet on the highway and best of all made in the USA quality

I have 27k on my stock tires but will be switching when these are worn out

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Will the negatively affect daily non-towing driving? Can the tube be “turned off”?
If you dont have it in Tow/Haul mode it will shift very normally, although still improved over stock. I run my tow tunes as my daily drivers a lot of the time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run the Nitto TerraGrappler G2s in a P-rated "XL". They aren't available as a C, only other option is an E Range. The XL's are rated at 2,750 each at 50psig, which which is basically the same as a C range. I air them up to 50psi when towing my 7,500 GWR trailer thats loaded to 7,500. Back end feels very stable. Run them at 35psi otherwise as they ride a whole lot better.

I typically lazy when moving the trailer the 10 miles from storage to home and leave them at 35psi. Feels a little bit more squirrely but not much. But then again the trailer is empty so I'm probably around 6,500# in the trailer.

Edit: I looked up the ratings of the C-range Toyo AT's and they are only 2,535# for the C-range tires (looking at my stock 275/65R18). The XL's are higher!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run the Nitto TerraGrappler G2s in a P-rated "XL". They aren't available as a C, only other option is an E Range. The XL's are rated at 2,750 each at 50psig, which which is basically the same as a C range. I air them up to 50psi when towing my 7,500 GWR trailer thats loaded to 7,500. Back end feels very stable. Run them at 35psi otherwise as they ride a whole lot better.

I typically lazy when moving the trailer the 10 miles from storage to home and leave them at 35psi. Feels a little bit more squirrely but not much. But then again the trailer is empty so I'm probably around 6,500# in the trailer.
Thank you Dave! I am considering a set of those! How’s the fuel eco on them?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thank you Dave! I am considering a set of those! How’s the fuel eco on them?
Didn't seem to see any hit in fuel economy from the highway tires that were on the truck when I bought it. They are super quiet too. MUCH quieter than most the AT's I've run in the past (Goodyear, BFG).

They are almost worn out now and I'm definitely getting another set. Even worn out they are very quiet.

I bought them used with about 75% treadlife. I've put 40k miles on them and they are now about 15-20% tread.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went with E range 275/70r18 BFG KO2s. I run them at 55psi and love them around where I live I do a lot of highway but also a fair amount of gravel/dirt and a ton of mud and snow in the winter. The tires have done great with everything I have asked of them. Going from the stock SRa tires I did take a bit of a hit but I would attribute a fair amount of that to being a larger size without me resetting my odometer setting so I always figure about 5% better than it shows. They make it feel a lot more truckish than the original tires which I like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts