F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know if anyone has installed a diff locker(s)?
If so, what kind and brand.
Thanks

·
Super Modistrator
2,080 Posts
Front or are you replacing/adding a rear E-locker? If you are adding an E-Locker to replace an open differential in a 9.75“, I think you’ll find that many here will suggest you go look at a Trutrac type rear end instead of the E-Locker. If you’re considering just putting a dedicated locker in one of these trucks. I’d tell you to simply re-think it. Having run several Detroit lockers in old school cars they just aren’t that much fun. This all said I think I’ve read there aren’t a lot of options on the smaller 8.8” rear ends, which seems odd because it shares a few things with the Mustang diff. I can’t tell you that I’m up to date on the 8.8’s. Things may have changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just been going on some mid range offroading with light towing... so i was thinking of grabbing an arb elocks but not quite sure what would work best.
Thanks @GearHead_1

·
Super Modistrator
2,080 Posts
I’ve replaced/repaired a ton of rear ends but I have no experience with an air locker. What size diff do you have, I’m assuming it’s open?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the"new" 8.8 in my 17 f150 that came with an open diff and replaced it with an LSD that fits the mustang. If you search my posts you'll find my thread which shows the exact model I bought from 5starperformance. I wanted a trutrac initially but they are not made for the new 8.8 yet which was very disappointing as they are much better then an LSD, although more expensive.

Edit: see link below

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Unless you are doing extreme wheeling where you lift tires, i highly recommend a Detroit Truetrac. Its a mechanical limited slip, so it always works.

You can also do the Raptor helical limited slip in the front diff. Its very similar to a truetrac. That and the truetrac in the rear and you would need to be in something serious to get stuck.

I ran truetracs front and rear in my Jeep Liberty and it worked extremely well. Was awesome for daily driving because it would just hook up, no worry about locking a diff, and was really good on trails around here.

I have the factory e-locker in my F150 and wish it was a truetrac. I dont have a good reason to change it though so i just deal.

·
Super Modistrator
2,080 Posts
@mass-hole, so you’re saying the Trutrac is available for the smaller rear end in these trucks?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
@mass-hole, so you’re saying the Trutrac is available for the smaller rear end in these trucks?
Not the super 8.8 i dont think. Their is an LSD from the mustang that can be used, however. It requires a small modification to allow the c-clips to fit, and I wanna say Yukon sells them pre-modded for the F150 super 8.8.

I didnt see if the OP had a 3.5 or 2.7

·
Super Modistrator
2,080 Posts
My bad, I stand corrected. Lost the post train there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts