F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may have been asked before, but I didn't readily find it with the search. Does anyone have 50k+ miles on their tune? I am new to tuning and just installed an unleashed 91 octane performance tune. I have a Rx Monster catch can and magnaflow dual-exhaust and that is it. I was just looking to improve throttle response and shift points add a little power to make it more fun for daily driving. I do not have any intentions of racing around or trying to beat the guy at the light in the Honda civic to the next light. Just a little more power and pleasure when driving. As I am new to all this, I am curious as to longevity of the engine i.e. will putting a tune in it make the engine/turbos wear out quicker or should I see no long term effects at all. Will it wear out when it wears out, or am I essentially causing myself more pain long term. 15k is a lot to replace a blown engine. I take exceptional care of my vehicle. Thanks for any input.
P.S If you know more than me ( won't be hard) or if this has been discussed, please don't be a [email protected]$$. This is supposed to be a learning environment.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
By your explanation of "wants", it would be a pretty safe and mild tune, and in my opinion, by tuning the parameters to your specific truck, it could only help the lifespan. The only way to lessen the longevity is if you are really amping up the performance and pushing the limits of what the engine is capable of.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. So 18-20 PSI of boost is mild (daily driving I'm not in WOT or achieving max boost all the time) and this engine is more than capable of handling this??? Another question I didn't ask is do I ever need to go back to stock (other than going to the dealership for warranty stuff)??? Is it ok to change the tune when ever you want i.e. I have a separate tune for towing as I was advised not to tow anything remotely in the range of this truck. (not even 8k lbs).

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have been running Diablo Sport 91 Oct Tune for the vast majority of the 32,000 miles I have (like 31,500 of em).
I have zero concerns of longevity and the truck gives me no reason to believe otherwise.

A custom tune on the 'conservative' side may be 'ideal' but that's a decent amount of extra coin and I'm not sure there is much benefit.
Keep fresh plugs in it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm at 48K. Been tuned since 2K. I predominantly run my 5* 89 perf/tow tune on 91 octane fuel. I tow about 8500 lbs maybe 10% of the time. Truck has been really good to me. The only time I go back to stock is for dealer service visits. I run Motorcraft syn blend at 4K change intervals and empty my catch can every 250 miles in the winter and every 500 miles during the warmer months. I change the air filter every 12K and plugs every 24K gapped at 0.030". I did purchase the 6yr/100K warranty that 5* offers with their tunes. No complaints on anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, you empty your catch can that frequently! Is it the monster can, is it pretty full when you empty it or more of a preventative? I only ask as I was told I shouldn't need to empty between oil changes, so that is good to know. I'll check it more often until I can gauge the interval.

·
Banned
508 Posts
You will be fine running a tune. With that said, you need to be cautious and vigilant on the maintenance aspect of this very finicky engine. Know that you need a 1/16" weep hole in your intercooler, and that spark plug gap and change interval are very important. Since you are tuned, make sure gap is maximum .028.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Elkhart, I replaced the plugs before I uploaded the tune and I gapped @.028. Even without a tune I have not had a set of plugs last more than ~15k miles. I have 37k and just installed my 3rd set. I use full synth mobil 1 oil and motorcraft filter and change @ 5k miles. I didn't do the weep hole as the guy who designed the Rx monster can I have says not to.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You will be fine running a tune. With that said, you need to be cautious and vigilant on the maintenance aspect of this very finicky engine. Know that you need a 1/16" weep hole in your intercooler, and that spark plug gap and change interval are very important. Since you are tuned, make sure gap is maximum .028.
Mine isn't finicky...should I be concerned?

Reactions: phantomblackgto

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
wow, you empty your catch can that frequently! Is it the monster can, is it pretty full when you empty it or more of a preventative? I only ask as I was told I shouldn't need to empty between oil changes, so that is good to know. I'll check it more often until I can gauge the interval.
Mine is not the monster can. I get a lot more water in the mix in the winter. I could probably go 1,000 miles in the summer, but it's nothing to empty. 500 miles in the winter and it'd be full.

·
Administrator
11,183 Posts
Honestly guys. Sometimes Elkhart makes some pretty ridiculously Eeyoreish posts. But when he makes this one, I don't think it's so far out of line. It's usually good advice. And, if not necessary for their vehicle, it will at least provoke questions about these things and why they are being brought up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Banned
508 Posts
Thanks Elkhart, I replaced the plugs before I uploaded the tune and I gapped @.028. Even without a tune I have not had a set of plugs last more than ~15k miles. I have 37k and just installed my 3rd set. I use full synth mobil 1 oil and motorcraft filter and change @ 5k miles. I didn't do the weep hole as the guy who designed the Rx monster can I have says not to.
This is completely wrong. The catch can has NOTHING to do with the condensate problem. Your weep hole will help make the plugs last longer. The weep hole shutterproof's the engine. Without the weep hole, you are playing Russian roulette with the dangerous misfire fiasco.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd also say .28 is a bit too tight for most guys on the plugs. .30-.32 will net you more consistent power and burn as long as you don't experience spark blow out or misfires. i dont think any tuner is generally recommending less than .30 yet unless you're modding to the max. i've got > just over 20k on a variety of tunes, after buying the truck with 55k miles used. no issues to speak of except for the stupid startup rattle which isn't a tune problem =/

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I have run an E30 tune for nearly 40k.(multiple revisions) I change plugs every second oil change(12K miles), and gap them to .028. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30 oil. The plug change interval is more of a reassurance, since we do race this thing. No weep hole, but I do have a Full-Race catch can, and TurboSmart BOV to help with any condensation that may occur.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Inexperience question: long trips i.e. long term driving 10+ hrs in one trip is no different than doing it on stock tune as far as engine wear correct?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts