F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and to the ecoboost/Ford family. I just bought a 2013 FX4 supercab via a salvage auction, it has 87,000 miles but seems to be in real good shape. I am an engineer, and have been looking into as many things I can do to 1. Prevent carbon build up, and 2. Increase the longevity of the motor(timing chain and general wear).
So first I’d like to say what I have planned and maybe you guys can critique me,

For my oil that I’ll use I chose the least volatile out of those which performed best in an ASTM bearing wear test, this was Pennzoil ultra platinum, I chose the Mobil 1 extended life for oil filters because it’s a 25 micron filter that performs at 98.7% Filtration efficiency.

I plan to add a catch can but have not decided on a brand or specific system

I plan to drill the driver side hole in the intercooler...how well does this prevent sludge reaching the valves or does it?

Should I already be concerned with the amount of build up?

anyway that’s what I have so far, a bit about myself I build boats, Jeep CJs, and am a structural engineer by trade.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good oil at early intervals is the way to go.
Since you don't have a history of the maintenance, have you considered replacing all fluids?

What makes you think you need to drill a hole?

Um... your intercooler weep hole and sludge are not related issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the PCV system sends blow by containing oil vapors through the intercooler, so it is indirectly related to the carbon build up on the valves as I understand it anyway. That is why so much crud comes out when people drill this hole. Pretty much any part of the air induction system in a turbo GDI motor touches the oil vapors from the crank case at some point thanks to the CCV and PCV unless you just cut the lines and put vent filters on them...which is illegal but I have seen it done on a few Nissan 370Z videos on youtube.

Also all fluids will be changed just so I get a fresh start. I really trust this motor especially since it was put in the new GT's that went to 24 hours of Le Mans, I just know that carbon build up is large problem that can cause a number of issues even with decent maintenance intervals and oil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The catch can is for the crud, weep hole was originally for condensation to drain. On the 13, it's not an issue.

I have 102k and never had an issue with misfires. Catch cans are debatable.
In the end, spend what you'd like because it's your truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This guy has a 2013 with intercooler condensation issues and you can see the oily-water drain after he drills the hole.

I’m not trying to argue I just want those who see this thread to be informed about what could become a problem for their truck and how to go about fixing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts