F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Lots of good info here!

Anyways, I’m looking at an Ecoboost to take place of my 95 dodge 12 valve that I use to carry my truck camper. The EB will be the daily driver and used to town a 12 ft enclosed trailer with two motorcycles and two Yamaha jet skis.

I’m looking at 13-14 FX4/2’s or Lariats. I like the leather and features, plus full console. I’m in Southern California and prices I’m finding are in the $23-30 range. I can find mileage in the 80k range and clean looking trucks for $23-26k. Should I be worried about 14’s with the mileage in the 85k range? Luckily for me, I have a work vehicle and hardly put any miles on my truck now since it sits for 4 days a week.

I’ve also gone to the local dealership and looked at deals on 19’s, but payments are in the $900/month range. Way too much!
Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I think most feel that 14 was a good year for the Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think most feel that 14 was a good year for the Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost.

It seems that way from what I’m reading. I’m just wondering if it’s worth the extra $3-4K for the same truck with 50k miles or if I should be safe with one at 80k.

I also like the 15-on style, but for the lariat, it puts me out of the range I want to remain in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jesus.... Up to $30k for an f150 with that kind of mileage?? I'll sell you mine for that price and fly you out here to pick it up, kidding. But after I traded my 99($5k trade in value) in on this one it was a tick over $30k NEW.

My 13 has been pretty good, does what I ask and doesn't complain, currently at 92k. It gets good empty mpg, maintenance is easy, and tons of room in the cab. I'd recommend checking the payload, it'll be down from your 12v, mine is 1440lbs but it's had more than double that several times and handled it fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justin,

Yea it’s pretty ridiculous out here. As I said, the 19’s that are still on the lot are still just about full pop. The only “incentive” the dealership is offering is 0% financing, but the prices for a 4x4 lariat are in the high $50’s to low $60’s.

I’m finding a few 13-14’s in the $23-25k range with right around 80k which might fit my budget.

And also, I’m keeping the 12v. The camper will go on it full time and the EB will be for daily driving and towing lighter end trailers like a motorcycle and two jet skis.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
It seems that way from what I’m reading. I’m just wondering if it’s worth the extra $3-4K for the same truck with 50k miles or if I should be safe with one at 80k.

I also like the 15-on style, but for the lariat, it puts me out of the range I want to remain in.
My own personal used truck equation is if I'm comparing similar vehicles, I will gladly pay another $1000 for 10,000 less miles

So I would pay $3000 more for the truck with 30,000 less miles. EVERY time.

10¢ per mile is a winner!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My own personal used truck equation is if I'm comparing similar vehicles, I will gladly pay another $1000 for 10,000 less miles

So I would pay $3000 more for the truck with 30,000 less miles. EVERY time.

10¢ per mile is a winner!

Good way to look at it. And I think I feel the same about it.

I found is pretty nice FX2 in silver with 42k miles and the dealership is asking $28,900. It might be worth asking if there’s any room in the price. It seems like a clean truck from the pictures and I’d be happy with something with miles in that range

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Good way to look at it. And I think I feel the same about it.

I found is pretty nice FX2 in silver with 42k miles and the dealership is asking $28,900. It might be worth asking if there’s any room in the price. It seems like a clean truck from the pictures and I’d be happy with something with miles in that range
I'm not captured in your market, so I can't say what a good price is there. (Texas is a notorious easy place to buy a truck. Supply/demand)

But I will say the truck you just mentioned is far more appealing in the value equation compared to the previous mentions.

First, vehicles are almost always a depreciating asset. Add to that the fact that theoretically they last a certain number of miles, not years!

So mileage is far more important than year, on the surface of things.

But having said all that, we are unique creatures compared to the rest of creation. We also need to ENJOY ourselves.

So when it's all said and done, you gotta factor that into the equation too. The best dollar deal in the world sucks if you don't get a big smile when you climb up in the cockpit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree. I’ve always looked for lower miles, and always end up spending the extra money for lower mileage.

With that said, I also found. 2014 FX2 with 55k miles for under $25k. Only caveat is that it’s listed on Carvana, which means it will have to be shipped. They do offer a 7 day “trial phase” and can return it, no questions asked if it doesn’t work out. So there’s some piece of mind, but I’ve never purchased a car this way.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I totally agree. I’ve always looked for lower miles, and always end up spending the extra money for lower mileage.

With that said, I also found. 2014 FX2 with 55k miles for under $25k. Only caveat is that it’s listed on Carvana, which means it will have to be shipped. They do offer a 7 day “trial phase” and can return it, no questions asked if it doesn’t work out. So there’s some piece of mind, but I’ve never purchased a car this way.
It's a modern world!
I rather like the concept considering the option out. I'm guessing that their business strategy includes the effort to underpromise and over deliver, or they would fail with a high percentage of opt-outs?

Of course I would need a healthy dose of pictures and a nice disclosure statement for flaws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, it’s become more popular from what I’ve seen. And when reading reviews, you see a lot of the people submitting reviews who are unhappy with the service. Just like forums like this, you don’t hear from the thousands of people who happy and out enjoying their vehicle. You hear mostly about the people who are having issues with one thing or another.

Carvana does a good job of being transparent. Good quality pictures and claim to do a 150-point inspection and provide the documents for what was inspected/replaced during the inspection. They also offer a 100 day/4189 mile warranty on every vehicle they sell and the 7-day trial phase is nice. It would give me time to have it inspected by someone I trust and if it does not come back healthy, I’ll send it back.

It’s also much better priced than what I’ve found locally. Under Blue book by about $2k

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're asking wether or not you should be worried about a 13-14 F159 with 85k, I would say "No."

However, there are some extra steps I would take in any high mileage vehicles. I'd have it looked at by a 3rd party mechanic and I'd ask more questions about the vehicle history.

Also, I'd always advise that you triple check to make sure all the TSB and Recall work has been done. Don't trust the dealer.

Check with Ford here.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
If you have a 12v and in California, it should have no rust (well it might because looking at those rust) I would keep that thing. Pre emissions, indestructible, it will last forever if you take care of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts