F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May want to hurry, BCB Facebook post about suspending tuning due to current EPA instability. All tuning related items off the internet site catalog. No idea of other tuner's stands on this. KM

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
12 straight months of unforseen intervention into a man's self determination of....... well, so many things.

They, whoever they actually is, seem to be hell bent on determining what's best FOR me, thus relieving me of the burden. Lol

I'm sure I am in good hands because I'm sure they have my best interest at heart.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Hopefully they leave HPTuners alone like they did during the whole diesel debacle. Then there can at least be grey/black market tunes from Canada.

This could also mean a push to CARB certified tunes, which isnt as hard as one might think. Whipples 775 hp 5.0 blower tune has a CARB EO number with nearly double the factory power rating. I am guessing most Ecoboost tunes probably do comply with CARB or at least the EPA requirements to be 48 state legal.

Just means the tuners have to actually do some work.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
12 straight months of unforseen intervention into a man's self determination of....... well, so many things.

They, whoever they actually is, seem to be hell bent on determining what's best FOR me, thus relieving me of the burden. Lol

I'm sure I am in good hands because I'm sure they have my best interest at heart.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
When people are to stupid to do things on their own then they get told what to do. i don't want me or my family to have to breath uncatted exhaust from some Monster Energy addicted teen with a WRX at a stop light or huff in a big cloud of diesel soot from some stupid hillbilly driving a '96 cummins with a smoke tune.

And thats why we are where we are. Because people suck.

And by "we" I mean people who modify their cars.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
There’s no new regulations. It’s been the same for the past few years. I think BCB just got caught red handed. Hence the halt of all sales and tuning. If they got a warning then they would still be offering revisions to fix their wrong doing.

I feel bad for all those that have tunes from them. They lock their tunes so you’re SOL if you have problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 5* modified 93 tune lol guess I am part of the "we" sucking bit, but I doubt I'm poisoning you any more than the clapped out 2004 crown vic with 3 hubcaps, a busted headlight, an illegal tint and running on 7 cylinders thats sitting next to you at the light is....

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
For those people who truly want tunes and don't care; they'll either claim it's for "Off-Road Use Only" or find a friend in Canada who is willing to "broker" some tunes for them.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
True. Sad when Canada is the land of the free aint it.

Somethings yes. You can start drinking at 19 or 18 (depending on the province), you can legally smoke pot (if that's your thing), no emission testing except in a few areas (Toronto area use to ... not sure if still is).

But a lot of other things no. Owning a gun (rifle) is a hassle and owning a hand-gun is down right impossible. And our Federal Government wants to make is even worse, by allowing Cities and Municipalities to have their own gun restrictions. So you may find, that while Federally, you can own a hunting rifle, but if the City Of Vancouver wants to ban your rifle .... they can.

When I was a kid, I could walk into any Hardware or Sporting Goods store and buy virtually any gun (including .22 semi-automatic hand guns), off the rack, and take it home, provided I was at least 18 years of age.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
The thing being is I don’t understand why they messed with it in the first place. Any good tuner can make more power without altering the emissions. Modifying emissions is like taking a short-cut. In no way am I dissing BCB, they just should’ve taken a smarter approach.

Unleashed, GH, BK, and 5* are all strongly against modifying the emissions. GH is probably the most strict. Heck it’s all over their website.

There’s more to emissions than just modifying O2 sensors. In the calibration, there are many tables that all have a job on reducing emissions during power production, cruising, cold start, idling, etc. Anything from fueling, spark, airflow, exhaust, VVT, etc. The list goes on.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Frankly, I always wondered when the Government disallowed the modifying the max speed limit (which is typically based on the stock oem tires when purchased).

Or just said "No more modifying tunes/pcms allowed, at all".

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I’m sure it’s already probably been said but I have a very strong feeling there’s more to the story, which none of us will ever know. Either way even though I’ve never used them as a company for tuning I feel bad seeing any business losing their main means to making a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im sad they are no longer tuning I love 5*93 but hate my 5* adjustable octane as its stock on boost and timing and I was going to buy BCB AO as their tune on someone else's truck was much stouter than stock for AO.
I was too slow. :(

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Im sad they are no longer tuning I love 5*93 but hate my 5* adjustable octane as its stock on boost and timing and I was going to buy BCB AO as their tune on someone else's truck was much stouter than stock for AO.
I was too slow. :(

I highly recommend getting a revision or two for your 5 star AO tune, then if you’re still not happy I would go with gearhead's AO tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
128 Posts
America is in a sad state if we arent allowed to tune our vehicles. And no offense to anyone, but no one should give a crap if someone has no cats or has a smoke tune on their diesel, it’s no more of an atmosphere pollution than someone’s woodstove.
These regulations suck, and the government sucks, it’s not people that suck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To get the most hp and performance gain out of my 2.7 would gear head be best? Kinda leaning away from 5* since most of y’all seem to dislike their tunes, and first person experience is best way to tell

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
To get the most hp and performance gain out of my 2.7 would gear head be best? Kinda leaning away from 5* since most of y’all seem to dislike their tunes, and first person experience is best way to tell
If your goal is most HP/TQ the you should look into 5 Star, Unleashed, or BoostKing (member of this forum and former calibrator for SCT/Derive tuning). Those guys will take you through the Datalog process and squeeze everybody bit of power if that is what you ask them to do. I’m not knocking Gearhead, but Matt purposefully doesn’t tune for max HP/TQ in his AO tunes. In fact, that is exactly why so many people enjoy his tunes. He puts safety and driveability first with HP/TQ numbers second. If you want the most HP/TQ you want a dedicated 93 or E blend tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
92 Posts
No no read carefully lol. I LOVE my 5* 93 performance tune its fantastic.

I just dont like the AO and was advised their AO doesnt add boost or timing over stock which means its just stock with throttle programming and trans shift points.

Their 93 perf and 91 perf/tow I quite like.
Just not their adaptive octane.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If your goal is most HP/TQ the you should look into 5 Star, Unleashed, or BoostKing (member of this forum and former calibrator for SCT/Derive tuning). Those guys will take you through the Datalog process and squeeze everybody bit of power if that is what you ask them to do. I’m not knocking Gearhead, but Matt purposefully doesn’t tune for max HP/TQ in his AO tunes. In fact, that is exactly why so many people enjoy his tunes. He puts safety and driveability first with HP/TQ numbers second. If you want the most HP/TQ you want a dedicated 93 or E blend tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, I suppose I should have specified what I want better.
1. I don’t want to blow up my engine at all
2. I want it to be pretty darn fast, I’m keeping my stock tire size, not going big wheels or tires ever.
3. I don’t have access to 93 where I live so it would be a custom 91 tune

1 - 20 of 95 Posts