F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Thanks. Mostly what I took as the relationship. My wategate % seldom exceeds 70% or less than 4%.
View attachment 171045

Graph is a WOT run 0 to 90 mph on the Highlander AO, Green WG% red boost PSI, gauges show the line at peak boost.
Same log sesion with the graph reduced to the actual 0-90 run
View attachment 171046
Vertical lines at 0-60-90, WG% gold, RPM green, boost blue, load red. KM
If I am reading that right, your WGDC looks inverted compared to mine(0% = trying to close the WG, 100% is open.) You can see you are dropping close to 0% at the higher RPM where as mine would be the reverse and heading towards 100%.

It actually does seem to be doing the same thing that mine does. I am curious what your TIP Actual vs TIP Desired is.

My guess is its fine the way it is if you are ok spinning the turbos near the limits, but i am guessing your WG might be blowing open at high RPM which is why its flat lining near 0%. Your throttle plate is probably wide open and your PCM is demanding a higher TIP Desired than you are getting for TIP Actual so its doing everything it can to get the number higher.

I think Ford might have tuned the wastegates on these to blow open as a fail safe. Mine pretty perfectly blows open at 220,000 rpm which is the safe compressor speed limit for the 2013-2016 turbo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks. Mostly what I took as the relationship. My wategate % seldom exceeds 70% or less than 4%.
View attachment 171045

Graph is a WOT run 0 to 90 mph on the Highlander AO, Green WG% red boost PSI, gauges show the line at peak boost.
Same log sesion with the graph reduced to the actual 0-90 run
View attachment 171046
Vertical lines at 0-60-90, WG% gold, RPM green, boost blue, load red. KM
See you def have more boost than my 5* AO it has stock boost levels.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
The BCB tunes run crazy boost. It could just be the adaptive tunes tho. There were also over-speeding the turbos on my truck. Was not a fan of it. I’ll see if I can find one of my old logs.

I remember one of my Mcgyver logs showing 47 lbs/min at the top of the run in 3rd gear. Which is insane for a tow safe tune.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The BCB tunes run crazy boost. It could just be the adaptive tunes tho. There were also over-speeding the turbos on my truck. Was not a fan of it. I’ll see if I can find one of my old logs.

I remember one of my Mcgyver logs showing 47 lbs/min at the top of the run in 3rd gear. Which is insane for a tow safe tune.
Exactly. It wasn't just my highlander that did it, my MacGyver did it while I was merging onto the freeway with my trailer and had the hammer down :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Are you at elevation or no?
Burlington WI so very little.
I have zero complaints the truck is a hoot and has been since tunned 30000 miles ago. You mentioned tip so here's same graph with desired and actual,

Not trying to prove anything just participating in an interesting topic. Learning may have slowed like me, but still enjoy new stuff! KM

PS: Bone stock with just the GTX loging, it ran 18 psi . km

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
109 Posts

But would you be ok with it as a daily. I seldom tow/haul and have a 5* 91 perf/tow for that.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
But would you be ok with it as a daily. I seldom tow/haul and have a 5* 91 perf/tow for that.

Maybe for the enthusiast all about power. But this was on their tow tune. Where I’m going to be at full power 80% of the time. Just not for me. Id prefer to not force my turbos to spin out of their designed limits. Over-speeding drastically lowers the life of the turbos.

FYI that was on my 2011 which already has tiny turbos from the factory.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
369 Posts
So question then... would a tuning company like 5* take into account that I’m at 7300’ and tune a little conservative so that I don’t over spin my turbos or do any other damage?

I’m planning on having a lot of boltons, got DPs, exhaust and intake, but I want throttle body, and Turbosmart bov

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
So question then... would a tuning company like 5* take into account that I’m at 7300’ and tune a little conservative so that I don’t over spin my turbos or do any other damage?

I’m planning on having a lot of boltons, got DPs, exhaust and intake, but I want throttle body, and Turbosmart bov
I have tunes from Unleashed, 5Star, gearhead and BCB and BCB is the only tune that does this for me.

Reactions: AllWhiteEco

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts

I have tunes from Unleashed, 5Star, gearhead and BCB and BCB is the only tune that does this for me.
Same as Mass. BCB tunes are the only ones that do this. May just be their technique of making power.

You should have no issues with 5*. Josh and the team have put countless hours into dialing in the calibrations.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Also one more question maybe someone can answer. Are the 2016 2.7 turbos bigger than the 2011-2014 3.5 turbos?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Also one more question maybe someone can answer. Are the 2016 2.7 turbos bigger than the 2011-2014 3.5 turbos?
11-12 3.5 turbos are smaller than 13-16 3.5 turbos. The 13-16 turbos are bigger than the 2.7 turbos but i think the 2.7 turbos are bigger than the 11-12 turbos.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
All the discussion about local condition like altitude and weather brought back a reason I initially chose BCB. They are local, know the conditions.
I am familiar with tuning for conditions, did that regularly in the 70/80's with a pile of carb parts, ignition parts, and hand tools like dwell, timing, simple air flow meters, and a good ear.
Modern engine controls render that knowledge very dated, so I wanted a tuner. Could be a good reason to prefer a local tuner. KM

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey I’m just gonna ask this here since I don’t want to start a new thread, and get a faster response here.
so on my2016 2.7 I have noticed some chatter at cold start in the cold morning and it happens for about 1 or2 minutes and then goes away. I’m pretty sure it’s the wastegate on the passenger turbo. Is that bad? I see people replacing their turbos with wastegate chatter, but they seem to have the sound while driving.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
A bit long but a commentary on current state of tuning.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> KM

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
A bit long but a commentary on current state of tuning.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> KM
People are blind because no one says anything and are all tight lipped about it. For example, BCB just posts up one day that they looked in the mirror and decided to stop selling tunes, what do you think everyone is gunna take from that? Maybe hire some marketing folks and craft a better statement if you are worried about it.

I think his Carbon Tax/Mod Tax is a great idea. I also think someone reputable in the industry should start a go-fund-me or similar to get money together for legal actions. Then people can put their money where their mouth is. You wanna do whatever you feel like to your car regardless of the law? then pony up.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I started this thread to bring attention to what is happening to the motorcraft sport. No to praise or bash BCB or any other auto-sport company. Still several decided to blame illegal practices without any proof, just the assumption that BCB did something wrong. Lund is a bigger buisness and with a longer history, and also seem quite affected. Never claimed BCB chose the right thing or wrong. Only information to share about things that may concern any performance enthusiast.
Could I have worded the OP better? Sure I could have, with aftersight, or the knowledge of how cynical some folks can be. Am I worried, yes to a point. About as much as a 70 year old enthusiast can be, hell I've had my automotive fun probably more than most. KM

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
All I’m saying is it doesn’t look good to halt distribution of tunes and to reintroduce them within a few days. That already points to previously breaking the rules before the change. If anything that may have put a bigger target on their head and the industry.

Lund was only affected due to the NGAUGE search. That was the main reason why the EPA showed up in the first place. Not only that but someone provided the EPA falsified information. Claiming they were defeating emissions components.

Which also gives us an answer to why NGAUGEs are no longer produced. The diesel world were the ones that spark’d the emissions changes.

It’s over, done with. All we can do is sit and wait.

121 - 140 of 181 Posts