F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
"I swear I would love to know what some people on here do for a living the way they order parts and post them on here all the time."

For me it's being retired factory worker, and that I bought a very inexpensive base XL 2wd RCSB. Between suspension, performance, sound, about $5000 on top of a new purchase cost of $27000. Total so far $32000 with more left in the budget. KM

Reactions: RyEcoBeast

·
Registered
109 Posts
"I swear I would love to know what some people on here do for a living the way they order parts and post them on here all the time"

Well I won't say on a forum what I do for a living, there are too many pissy weenies that dream of doxing people and ruining lives,
but I bought a XL with the STX package used, my 3 kids are grown, and I live within my means.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I don’t care I am not going into debt for it...I’ve been down that road and paid the price for it. I have 3 young kids and other responsibilities to worry about before tuner and tunes are on the list. I swear I would love to know what some people on here do for a living the way they order parts and post them on here all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I buy all my parts used. Well, most of them.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
369 Posts
Wait a minute. So you’re saying if I order a BDX tuner right now from 5* with 5* custom tunes I won’t be able to?

·
Registered
109 Posts
No, we are saying of you are going to do it, now is the time, as it seems like the "Gubbimit" are making their rounds and possibly threats (sorry, consequence speeches) to most of the tuners.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I wonder if HPtuners is gunna fly under the radar. I cant see how other than they dont seem to be that heavily involved in diesel.

Ive also notice that, in the EcoDiesel and Baby Duramax tunes I have looked at, HPTuners had nothing related to the EGR or any emissions related items. Short of just physically hacking those things off and turning off the codes, I dont think you can really use HPTUNERS to delete them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
"I swear I would love to know what some people on here do for a living the way they order parts and post them on here all the time"

Well I won't say on a forum what I do for a living, there are too many pissy weenies that dream of doxing people and ruining lives,
but I bought a XL with the STX package used, my 3 kids are grown, and I live within my means.

Well, I’m probably half as old as most of you guys, l bet I’m one of the younger guys on here. I still live with my parents, I’m not married, but I do have a full time and a weekend jobs. I bought my 2016 with 42k on it and I’m almost done paying it off. All the credit goes to my parents who have put me in the trades and set me on my feet.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I wonder if HPtuners is gunna fly under the radar. I cant see how other than they dont seem to be that heavily involved in diesel.

Ive also notice that, in the EcoDiesel and Baby Duramax tunes I have looked at, HPTuners had nothing related to the EGR or any emissions related items. Short of just physically hacking those things off and turning off the codes, I dont think you can really use HPTUNERS to delete them.
I read that they were already approached due to the Nguage, but never saw anything come of it. EZLynk was hit though and they are registered in the Cayman Islands. Nobody is safe from the EPA as far as I'm concerned. I just hope that this turns around and tuners that are on pause are doing EO's to get back in the game. The thing is though, truly custom tuning may be out the window, It's going to be more like canned engine parameters with the chance to mess with shift strategies.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
I don’t care I am not going into debt for it...I’ve been down that road and paid the price for it. I have 3 young kids and other responsibilities to worry about before tuner and tunes are on the list. I swear I would love to know what some people on here do for a living the way they order parts and post them on here all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what I do, but it's what I don't spend money elsewhere on.

·
Administrator
11,174 Posts
I don't have that many mods, but I budget very strictly to afford, well, everything. We don't "splurge" or waste money as a rule. I set money aside every week and that money is what I use to play with if and when I have a mind to. Occasionally I will use something like paypal credit with a 0 percent interest offer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
It's not what I do, but it's what I don't spend money elsewhere on.
Exactly. I am extremely frugal about most everything else. Cars are the one thing I spend money on.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Bask in the early 1970's prior to state emmision testing, the DOT set up testing stations to get folks used to the proceedures. This was a full chasis roller setup directly sampling tailpipe emission. At that time I has several modified vehicles, jetting/timing/distributor curves/exhaust. One a new 1972 Vega GT had the AIR pump and plumbing removed a Holley 2500 jetted/ventured on a port matched manifold and spacer, header and free flowing exhaust. That thing sailed thru 3 different testing stations with flying colors. My point is that it is not possible now to do the same thing. A way to test for emmissions should be an option, not just an equipment test and data code reading. KM

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Bask in the early 1970's prior to state emmision testing, the DOT set up testing stations to get folks used to the proceedures. This was a full chasis roller setup directly sampling tailpipe emission. At that time I has several modified vehicles, jetting/timing/distributor curves/exhaust. One a new 1972 Vega GT had the AIR pump and plumbing removed a Holley 2500 jetted/ventured on a port matched manifold and spacer, header and free flowing exhaust. That thing sailed thru 3 different testing stations with flying colors. My point is that it is not possible now to do the same thing. A way to test for emmissions should be an option, not just an equipment test and data code reading. KM
You are right.

As I have said all along, I bet 99% of the gas tunes out there do meet the emissions requirements because I doubt the tuners are touching the settings for the low load, normal driving conditions. I have advanced the max allowable timing in my truck, but the only time my truck actually leaves the factory MBT Tables and advances the timing more than it would have stock is under WOT where it was hitting the Cylinder pressure limiter. I doubt WOT is where the EPA or CARB is even testing the emissions anyways. The stock tuning advances the timing to where KR is having to back it down all on its own so no aftermarket tune is really running timing more advanced under normal driving anyways.

Like i said, its when you physically remove emissions equipment where you cannot make the argument. Cats, DPFs, SCR's, that stuff.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will say that there is one tuner that, at one time, did disable some monitors and I was not able to get my truck inspected because they would not go ready no matter how long the tune was installed and I drove it. My cousin used the same tuner with the same result.
My current tune by 5 Star meets emissions without even coming close to the limits for our state inspection. I would imagine the WOT tuning would be close to factory since the tuners take the time to make sure it it running correctly, and I would venture to say, better than when it left the factory.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Maybe this isn’t the place to ask this, but, is water methanol injection a good power mod? I’m doing a 91 octane tune with BoostKing. I don’t have access to anything higher than 91, so I do know that meth injection decreases detonation so that timing can be increased without having to increase fuel quality.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Maybe this isn’t the place to ask this, but, is water methanol injection a good power mod? I’m doing a 91 octane tune with BoostKing. I don’t have access to anything higher than 91, so I do know that meth injection decreases detonation so that timing can be increased without having to increase fuel quality.
For going down the track or racing, it’s not a bad idea. But to rely on it everyday isn’t ideal. I’m personally against it and so are a few others. The problem being is there’s a large margin for error.

·
Registered
369 Posts
For going down the track or racing, it’s not a bad idea. But to rely on it everyday isn’t ideal. I’m personally against it and so are a few others. The problem being is there’s a large margin for error.
I see. What do you mean margin for error?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I see. What do you mean margin for error?
Pump failing, empty tank, inadequate amount of spray, line clogged, etc.

If it failed while running a tune designed for meth, you’d be in big trouble.

It will also be another maintenance item to constantly refill. Not really worth it IMO. Just a big headache.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Couldn’t agree more with @SrpRacing, for a daily driver probably not a great idea. I would worry about reliability as much as convenience. I’m about at the end of the road as far as performance on my truck because it is my daily and I have to rely on it to get me around. As much as I’d like to take it to the next step with downpipes and upgraded turbos, I know I have to draw the line somewhere. What I have now is plenty to quench my thirst for fun. Just think long and hard about where your line is. Anyway my apologies for derailing this thread.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts