F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 68 years old and have a factory stock 2012 F150 Ecoboost 4 door Lariat with 96,000 miles on it. No heavy hauling and very little highway driving here in the mountains of east TN. I had an issue about 6 months ago with my oil pressure gauge dropping to 0 and the low oil warning coming on at idle which brought me to this forum. I found some good info. but never identified the problem and it went away after about 3 months and it has been another 3 months with no issues. While researching this problem on various websites I started getting very concerned about continuing to own this vehicle as I ran across several instances of total engine failure with this 1st gen engine after 80k or so miles and lots of timing chain issues. I would like to know from other owners that if in your experiences I should keep this vehicle which I love and has served me well or should I consider selling it now and getting something more reliable as I am on a fixed income and would be hard pressed to deal with a catastrophic engine failure. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated and no I am not mechanically inclined at all!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Timing chain could certainly be an issue. It happens. some remedies to try and keep that away are:

1. Change oil with quality oil ever 5k or so, keeps the chains lubed nicely.
  2. Hold the throttle pedal down to the floor while starting. This will keep the engine from firing but still cranks the starter. I usually do this for 2-3 seconds, until i hear the cranking speed go up. Once it does, release the throttle and it will start. This gets oil pumped up to the upper end of the engine to the cam phasers prior to it lighting off.
As far as your low oil pressure, I am guessing that was maybe an issue with the pressure switch that for some reason went away.

I am not afraid to own my 2014 with 87,000 miles. I tow my travel trailer through the rocky mountain states at least once a month and abuse it pretty bad, but its never gave me any hint of being unreliable. Only problem I had was a warped passenger side manifold which happened after towing my trailer at 70mph into a headwind for 3 hours straight.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
What @mass-hole said. Including the pressure switch.

I have had very few issues, the biggest being a warped driver's manifold and the "stereo" control on the steering wheel needed to be replaced.

I do exactly as Mass suggested above. And if it is below freezing and I am starting the engine "stone cold", I will let it crank a little longer until I see oil pressure "gauge" move and then I let it start.

I am now over 70,000 miles/110,000kms.

PS: I have also been tuned pretty much within the first 6 months of ownership. So while I haven't beaten my truck, it hasn't been 'babied' either. I had debated about getting a new truck a while back, but now I think I am in for the "long haul" (see signature). I am now modifying my truck to the way I think Ford should have built it from the factory, including fully E85 compatible.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Sorry fellas, I HAVE to rant for a second.....

That oil pressure sensor on your truck LITERALLY is a binary, yes-no, sensor set to 7lbs.

If it "senses" 7lbs, or 700lbs, it simply responds yes. You have oil pressure.

I'm saying that to point out a couple of things.....

1. Your oil pressure gauge on the dash is FAKE.
Or put another way, it just says yes, you have 7lbs. The needle is literally fake because it implies an oil pressure measurement, but it doesn't measure oil pressure. Lol

2. Get some kind of device that reads the various parameters of your truck from the ODB connector. Oil pressure being one that I consider fundamental! Heck, Ford even believes that I WANT an oil pressure reading, although they spoofed me with a fake one.

I have no proof, of course, but you may have never actually suffered from low oil pressure. You have no way of knowing unless you were monitoring oil pressure.

I too had a couple of low oil pressure alerts pop up one morning on my truck. Fortunately I also had the REAL oil pressure readings displayed on my tuner. My heart skipped a beat, but then I saw the real-time oil pressure readings and all was actually well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Coming from a 2011 owner who has had the truck since 10 miles. I actually acquired the truck in late 2011. Just wanted to let you know I hit 170,000 this morning. Haven’t skipped a beat.

Even tho I’m a new tremor owner, I still prefer to use my 2011 as a tow pig.

As long as you take care of it, it WILL take care of you. Drive it like a sports car.

Follow what the other members have said above me^^^

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
"As long as you take care of it, it WILL take care of you. Drive it like a sports car."

170,000 miles. Another example, and one with validity in my book.

·
Registered
449 Posts
And to be completely honest with you. I didn’t know anything about the ecoboost till I hit 98,000.

No mods, completely bone stock. I ran 87 daily driving and 91 when towing/severe heat. Followed the manual. I did change oil ever 7500 as I did with any vehicle. But most of all, I used the truck as it was intended.

Had no idea about fuel dilution, intercooler condensation problem, hesitation, timing chain rattle. Nothin.

After 98,000 I learned so much about these trucks and it completely changed my way of treating it. I’m still learning today actually.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Sorry fellas, I HAVE to rant for a second.....

That oil pressure sensor on your truck LITERALLY is a binary, yes-no, sensor set to 7lbs.

If it "senses" 7lbs, or 700lbs, it simply responds yes. You have oil pressure.

I'm saying that to point out a couple of things.....

1. Your oil pressure gauge on the dash is FAKE.
Or put another way, it just says yes, you have 7lbs. The needle is literally fake because it implies an oil pressure measurement, but it doesn't measure oil pressure. Lol

2. Get some kind of device that reads the various parameters of your truck from the ODB connector. Oil pressure being one that I consider fundamental! Heck, Ford even believes that I WANT an oil pressure reading, although they spoofed me with a fake one.

I have no proof, of course, but you may have never actually suffered from low oil pressure. You have no way of knowing unless you were monitoring oil pressure.

I too had a couple of low oil pressure alerts pop up one morning on my truck. Fortunately I also had the REAL oil pressure readings displayed on my tuner. My heart skipped a beat, but then I saw the real-time oil pressure readings and all was actually well.

Not to get off topic , but what is the actual name of that pid in the ngauge @snakebitten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Almost 102 K on mine. Bought new and the only problem was front wheel bearings that were replaced under warranty. Keep driving it, start saving for it. The probability of something needing repair on your truck or any vehicle is pretty high when you include normal wear items.

What do you think you could afford for payments if you traded. Start putting that away now and don't worry about the truck. Life is too short, the past 73 years have sped by in a blink.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think Gen1 ecos have an oil pressure sensor beyond the dummy switch. Gen2, with the multiple pressure oil pump do, but not Gen1, as far as I know.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Sir Ike is Gen2

It's there. I'm not at the barn to look up the pid, but I'm pretty sure it's not very cryptic.

Edit :

My coldstart pre-oiling video has it listed as "oil_press"

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Sir Ike is Gen2

It's there. I'm not at the barn to look up the pid, but I'm pretty sure it's not very cryptic.

All right I’ll thumb through all 3000 of those PIDs see if I can find it LOL

exaggeration of course but Man there sure are a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
All right I’ll thumb through all 3000 of those PIDs see if I can find it LOL

exaggeration of course but Man there sure are a lot.

Do they have a search feature like SCT? You can type in key words or wild cards in live link.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
O I L _ P R E S S (ure)

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Do they have a search feature like SCT? You can type in key words or wild cards in live link.

Unfortunately no. I think it's kinda in alphabetical order though, not positive

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Unfortunately no. I think it's kinda in alphabetical order though, not positive

Actually, I remember thinking, as I cycle through the options, there's no explanation for the order. Unless you could say categorical.

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
O I L _ P R E S S (ure)

That was basically it

So seems like it stays around 20ish
+\-for the most part eh?
Once the truck is running I mean

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
That was basically it

So seems like it stays around 20ish
+\-for the most part eh?
Once the truck is running I mean

Oh don't get me started! Lol

But yes, it dances around in the 20's, once warmed up, for the most part. Even cruising down the interstate at 80mph! Arrgghhhhh

I think the 2 stage pump is load based. (like everything else in the truck) You'll see it jump to the 50-60lb stage when you give it a command for power. Somewhere about 4 lbs of boost corresponds to the pump pressure jump. (on mine)

I'm sure 25lbs of oil pressure is enough to lube the motor. Afterall, Ford did this ON PURPOSE to save YOU 1 mile per tankfull. (saved THEM 1,000,000 miles for their Cafe number$. It's not done for the truck owner. It's done to save Ford government taxes)

But Gen1 3.5's are fed more oil pressure. Substantially more, in theory, since its never intentionally gimped. In fact, I suspect it gets "stage 2" (unimpeded) oil pressure ALL the time. And if that's true, when mine is at ~25, the Gen1 is at ~60.

I wish the motor and tuner gurus would figure out how to NIX this stupid intentional fuel economy driven HOAX.

Either by using a tune to just keep it at "normal" pressure, or by retrofitting a Gen1 oil pump mechanism and fooling the computer to think it's getting its way.

By the way, with 5-40 Amsoil, that low-stage oil pressure dance on the Ngauge is about 4-5lbs higher. At least I get to see a number 3x for more seconds than a 2x, if you know what I mean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts