F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to sell my 2006 F250 Lariat as the fuel prices are killing and using it as an everyday truck when I am not towing a heavy load just doesn't make sense to me. I want to get an EB FX4 4X4 crew cab and I have a toy hauler that holds 1 ATV. It is an Ultra-Light and fully loaded is 7000-8000 lbs. I towed this with my 2000 F150 5.4l and it was a dog going over mountain passes like the one over Eisenhower pass outside of Denver. 30 MPH the whole way. Never again.
With all that said, will the EB pull a 7000lb trailer over a mountain pass and maintain close to safe towing speed or do I have to keep my F250. I am a Ford guy and love the power of the 6.0 turbo diesel in my F250 but it is just more truck than I need right now.

Thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think the EB would be able to handle it just fine. I normally tow a similar size/weight toy hauler normally between 55-60mph and never had the feeling I didn't have enough power. The only thing I would be concerned about is the suspension. What's the hitch weight on the trailer? I know I'm right at the limit when the toy hauler is unloaded (1100 pounds)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I pull a 6000+ 5er with a 4x, 3.55 rearend, 2012 Ecoboost. 6000 tow/6000 empty miles so far across midwest and New England. Couldn't be happier. Decent mileage (12) and plenty of guts while towing. 20+ mpg and the ride of a car when not. Mileage drops if I drive over 65, take short trip/winter when tranny doesn't warm up, or drive it like I stole it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The big diff is the turbos on the Ecoboost. Naturally aspirated engines rely on atmospheric pressure for induction where turbos will compensate by simply spinning up until waste gate pressures are reached regardless of altitude. You will see a drastic difference in power at altitude. Aircraft have been using this principal for years!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got back from a 1500 mile trip towing a 20ft enclosed car hauler. Trailer with my jeep buggy weighs in at 8200 lbs. Can't speak too much about altitude, started in central Florida, through Atlanta, out to the "mountains" in Alabama, and back home to tampa. Pretty much kept it between 72 to 75 on the interstates. My eb with 3.55 gears (fx4) never lacked for power, in fact I can only count on one hand the number of times it dropped to 4th. I will tell you to turn off the sway control system, I found about a 10 percent decrease In fuel mileage when the sway control was on. I averaged 9 mpg for the 1500 miles. Biggest issue for gas mileage is the wind resistance pulling a 10 ft tall flat nosed hauler at that speed. Thinking that 60-65 mph would have seen about a 20 pct increase.
There is no replacement for a hd diesel, but my eb pulled my trailer like it was designed for it. I wouldn't hesitate to pull it cross country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Mudpup
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing