F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So dad just bought a raptor with a 6.2 and has a bunch of goodies coming to perk it up. I want to kill his raptor with my ecobeast. Already have aFe stage 2 intake and a mbrp dual exhaust but I need some serious power for my truck. Seems like the SCT or LMS are the two most used progammers what kind of actual power/milage (not worried about milage on the track just getting to the track) gains are people getting? Any other gotta have parts?
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the Sct and Mak y pipes. Those two made a big change

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Id run a custom tuned livewire SCT and some kind of downpipe upgrade. You can also do a BBK throttle body and AFE charge pipe. We have a sale on the Stainless works down pipes right now. 7% off and free shipping.

2011-2013 F150 3.5L EcoBoost Downpipes & Mid-Pipes

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I went with the stage 4 form Bill, and the power increase was insane. I haven't gotten my custom tuning or CAC installed yet, but I can break lose during a 4hi launch on pavement. I don't generally run my truck hard, but with all that extra power to play with I haven't seen any mileage gains.

Reactions: Crouse

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Definitely keep us updated on what you do to destroy that raptor. Then take a picture of how pissed your dad is after the race! Lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
I went with the stage 4 form Bill, and the power increase was insane. I haven't gotten my custom tuning or CAC installed yet, but I can break lose during a 4hi launch on pavement. I don't generally run my truck hard, but with all that extra power to play with I haven't seen any mileage gains.
I also got the stage 4 from Bill. Haven't put my down pipes or exhaust on yet. Wow truck really woke up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely keep us updated on what you do to destroy that raptor. Then take a picture of how pissed your dad is after the race! Lol
Haha yah I definitely will.
The local guy said you can only tune a truck 5 times from an sct tuner what's he talking about?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Haha yah I definitely will.
The local guy said you can only tune a truck 5 times from an sct tuner what's he talking about?
You can only run them one at a time, but the tuner can hold 5 or 10 tunes, at a time, in memory slots.
Everything is almost infinitely rewritable. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
One thing to remember, SPEED = $$$$$$. The faster you want to go, the more $$$$$. Just make sure you have a plan and budget. IMO the Stage 4 mods are a great place to start and great foundation for future mods (if you feel the need).

The advantage to turbo engines ... you can get a lot of HP for the buck and NOT need to go inside the engine until you get to the point where you need to strengthen the internals.

The upgrades the guys are discussing (Stage 4) will give you noticeable gains for relatively small money (IMO). And most of the mods you can do yourself (with the help of a buddy) ... or if you don't have the place to do the exhaust ... just go to a local muffler shop and pay them to do it. And after awhile, if you feel that STILL isn't enough, then you can look to upgrade the intercooler & turbos.

If you had a 5.0 Coyote, Comp Cams wants over $1,500 for new camshafts (there are four) and then there is all the work to replace them. Include the reprogramming and a better exhaust with headers, and you probably spent as much money as the Stage 4 ... and with a LOT more work. If you are unable or unwilling to do the camshaft swap, you are probably looking at another $1,000-1,500 (maybe more) just for the labour (depending where you live).

The amount of gains from a cam swap can be impressive (depending on the grind), but cams usually are a trade-off. The more top-end power usually comes at a cost to your low end torque (and often driveability). Plus you start needing a high stall convertor (something our V6s don't need to worry about as our mods makes the power both down low and up top).

I've built and owned many modified naturally aspirated cars over my 40+ years of driving; and I got to meet and know some Buick GN guys. I was thoroughly impressed on the power the GN guys were able to make from that 3.8 turbo V6 and with relatively simple mods (to start). And, those who were a little more "serious", made tons of power.

That is why I now own the Ecoboost F150, and not a V8 powered truck.

Reactions: scap99

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Guys, we are extremely luck to have these ecoboost engines. We just started dyno testing our new 5.0L truck and it takes so much to get 50 flywheel HP out of those. It was fun having the ecoboost on the dyno and seeing numbers, the 5.0L dyno runs are disappointing almost every time.

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
Guys, we are extremely luck to have these ecoboost engines. We just started dyno testing our new 5.0L truck and it takes so much to get 50 flywheel HP out of those. It was fun having the ecoboost on the dyno and seeing numbers, the 5.0L dyno runs are disappointing almost every time.
Not to mention the 14.5mpg highway.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Downpipes + exhaust
intake
CAC + charge pipe
GOOD custom tune

when sh** needs to get real, upgraded turbos and maybe the fuel delivery system will be solved for E85.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok we had some fun last night in the swamp and the ecobeast had to remove the raptor lol cost me a phone but was totally worth it. Who is making the best tunes? I've read MPT is making mad power with their tunes. And the down pipes, what ones sound good (cat/no cat)?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Tuning is your preference. I am thoroughly satisfied with LMS. MPT, 5 star, unleashed, SoCal, LMS seem to be the most popular.

·
Supporting Vendor
559 Posts
We offer a Y-Pipe in stainless and aluminized pricing starts at $379.99 with free shipping in the continental US.
Its 3in mandrel Bent tubing direct replacement. They run like a bat out of hell. Gains of 2mph and 2 tenths of a sec in the 1/4 mile are common.

Combine that with the proper tuning and an intercooler and your power will increase dramatically.

We are shipping all ecoboost parts for free.
http://www.makperformance.com/ecof150.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok we had some fun last night in the swamp and the ecobeast had to remove the raptor lol cost me a phone but was totally worth it. Who is making the best tunes? I've read MPT is making mad power with their tunes. And the down pipes, what ones sound good (cat/no cat)?
I have the MPT tunes, I have personally gone up there and met the guys they are great group of people all of them used to work for SCT the owner was actually the head of their tuning school. When he left and decided to go open his own shop with a few of the other guys from there. His name is Mike and his personal ride is a 2012 F150 Ecoboost.

They are getting crazy amounts of power. The biggest thing for the tunes is to make sure that your spark plug gaps are .030 mine were .035 on one side and .037 on the other and it was causing a misfire. (it's a very easy do-it-yourself type of thing if you don't know how to do it look it up on YouTube)

Nothing against any other tuners I do not have experience with them personally... Best thing you could do is intake, full exhaust, Tuner and just since you're doing the work anyways a 170° thermostat (make sure your Tuner knows about the thermostat so they can set your tunes up for it otherwise that's a waste of time and money. Oh and the thermostat is also a great thing for me I live in Florida I just saw your from MI so maybe not as needed the middle of winter here is like a summer day for you guys LOL). I am getting the MAK Performance catless Y pipe I know a few people that have them and they are very well-built and you can't beat them for the money. Also you can talk to the guys at MPT for more information but after all those mods are done add the water/meth system.

As it is truly you will be destroying your dad with just the intake the catback exhaust and the tuner I have a friend with a 6.2 and all I do is mess with him on the road anytime we travel together. The rest of the stuff is if you just want to go crazy....

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
As most people are saying ... Cold Air Intake, full cat-back exhaust and proper tune. Also, what none have mentioned, many will give you multiple tunes specifically designed for the Octane of fuel you want to run (and take full advantage of it). Most tunes are claiming 25-50HP more when running a 93 octane tune over an 87 tune.

My last suggestion .... wager your dad how with just a CAI, Cat-Back and premium fuel, your Ecoboost will kill his Raptor. Bet enough money to pay for all your mods. Just don't tell him anything about the tune.... and tell your dad get his check book ready.

PS: When he wants a "grudge match" (cause he'll start modifying his Raptor to get even) and try to get his money back ... do the Downpipe and Intercooler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts