F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been covered, however, Im looking for a tuner that I can set the truck back to stock when I take it to the dealer and one that will improve my fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
It's best to use the search bar at the top right.. This site has an abundance of information about tuning and fuel economy.

A custom tune would be the best topic to research.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Definitely recommend SCT programmer with custom tunes. Contact Stage 3 Motorsports on here and see what they can do for ya.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see the hypertech programmers allow you to return back to stock. IS that the same with the SCT?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say stay away from hypertech I've yet to find anything good or bad on them. I'm looking to figure out what's going to work best for me as well. Can't go wrong with sct a large number of tunes avlable. I've also been looking at the edge. Will likely go with the sct.
Im by no means a tuner expert. Keep looking there's a lot of info on hear.

·
Registered
932 Posts
SCT comes with canned tunes, also allows for custom tunes.

Plenty of tunes available from a variety of tuners (Tuner Shops)

It also allows to got back to stock, you can't go wrong with any of the SCTs

IMHO its the best tuner available for the ecoboost, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've used the Hypertech in the past, not on this truck. It did give a little bump in hp and tq, can't say it improved the mileage, but it didn't get any worse.

I have only used the SCT on the current truck. It's a little faster to tune IMO. And it seems to have more options than the Hypertech did and is also a little simpler to use.

If you are really interested in mpg I suggest a custom tune. My choice is in my signature.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
This subject always opens a can of worms....and I will agree that SCT has good bang for the buck if you later want to go with a custom tune as most of those guys use the SCT handheld as a delivery device.

However, I don't see a reason why anyone would say "stay away from Hypertech". They have an excellent reputation for making SAFE HP and Torque, and are the original "chip" company in aftermarket performance tuning. They were doing it in the early 80's on E-prom chips before anyone else.

You won't go wrong with either. I'm running Hypertech because I know it won't break anything, and I doubt I will want a custom tune at least until my truck is out of warranty...if I ever do, I can return my Hypertech to stock and sell it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This subject always opens a can of worms....and I will agree that SCT has good bang for the buck if you later want to go with a custom tune as most of those guys use the SCT handheld as a delivery device.

However, I don't see a reason why anyone would say "stay away from Hypertech". They have an excellent reputation for making SAFE HP and Torque, and are the original "chip" company in aftermarket performance tuning. They were doing it in the early 80's on E-prom chips before anyone else.

You won't go wrong with either. I'm running Hypertech because I know it won't break anything, and I doubt I will want a custom tune at least until my truck is out of warranty...if I ever do, I can return my Hypertech to stock and sell it.
Not taking anything away from hypertech because that is your choice of tuner, but your comment about waiting Til your truck is out of warranty before custom tuning is comical at best, you are programming your truck with hypertech and gonna void your warranty just the same as a custom tune. Either one of them can void your warranty if found in your truck. That's a fact.
Also the reason sct is a better programmer is because you can datalog your tunes to make sure they are running safe, you never know when the fuel turns bad or the tanker guy screws up and puts 91 in the 93 bulk tank. Stuff happens. All trucks are different and react different to tunes, programmers like hypertech, superchips, edge, and even sct canned are generic and fit all model years from 2011-2014 ecoboost trucks. There is a lot of guys that have problems with their custom tunes and some that haven't and they are all made from the basic mold but with different strategies. Once you datalog you will find these imperfections and its fixed. And I'm willing to bet if you datalogged your hypertech you would find that it's not as safe as you think it is.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Not taking anything away from hypertech because that is your choice of tuner, but your comment about waiting Til your truck is out of warranty before custom tuning is comical at best, you are programming your truck with hypertech and gonna void your warranty just the same as a custom tune. Either one of them can void your warranty if found in your truck. That's a fact.
Also the reason sct is a better programmer is because you can datalog your tunes to make sure they are running safe, you never know when the fuel turns bad or the tanker guy screws up and puts 91 in the 93 bulk tank. Stuff happens. All trucks are different and react different to tunes, programmers like hypertech, superchips, edge, and even sct canned are generic and fit all model years from 2011-2014 ecoboost trucks. There is a lot of guys that have problems with their custom tunes and some that haven't and they are all made from the basic mold but with different strategies. Once you datalog you will find these imperfections and its fixed. And I'm willing to bet if you datalogged your hypertech you would find that it's not as safe as you think it is.
Well CB I do respect your input because I know you've tried 'em all. I don't appreciate the comical comment...but as I stated in my first post on this thread....it always opens a can of worms when someone asks this question....and not just here on this forum. I understand the logic in your opinion...and I will be data logging eventually. That said, it is only your opinion. I know how Hypertech tunes, and while some of your comments about "generic" tunes are correct, they are only assumptions, as I know for a fact Hypertech tests each year model and tweaks all year models and updates constantly. I have some customers and friends that are custom tuners, and what you've noted about the GOOD ones is correct. However, I don't personally know an EcoBoost custom tuning expert. I have run various custom tunes on Mustangs in years past, but they were all non-turbo, normally aspirated engines.

The reason I refer to them as "safe" is that I know they do build "fudge factors" into their tuning, like the fuel issue you mentioned. Hypertech only states "87 and Premium" fuel options. Premium = 91 octane in their tune...that way a guy like me that can't always get gas at the same station is "safe"...ok...granted...safe-ER....they have also tested (data logged and track tested) some of the "custom" tunes that you guys are running. Some of them are running dangerously close to the limit of the stock fuel system on these trucks, and I don't mean just pressure.

Now...in the interest of not escalating a programmer war....I'm done here....it won't help the OP for any of us to sit here and try to one-up each other's vast, well-read, and real-world tuning experience. If any of us were experts...we'd be making a living at it now wouldn't we? It sounds like he only needs an 87 tune for fuel economy anyway.

Take a chill pill on the inflammatory comments man. We are all just trying to help each other learn. :cool:

PS. The reason for my waiting until after my warranty is up, is not related to being "caught" with a programmer by the dealer...for that I would whip out my Magnuson-Moss Act ;)....it is more related to taking the chance of running a "full-tilt" tune, and breaking something because the tune was pushing the limits of whatever...say for instance running the fuel rail out of fuel for a split second and scorching a piston (seen it). After my warranty is up, I may be willing to take that chance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Reactions: Polch525

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You are correct and I was wrong for the way I came across after i re-read it, completely unacceptable, not my nature and I apologize. Hope you accept.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Cbvet is stand up. As far as warranty he has been there with turbos and tunes. Cb did you ever purchase that other tune that became available. You are the connoisseur of tunes.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cbvet is stand up. As far as warranty he has been there with turbos and tunes. Cb did you ever purchase that other tune that became available. You are the connoisseur of tunes.
No I never did, that guy sent is datalogs to somebody and that guy told me that it needs a lot of work so I think I'm gonna try innovative diesel next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in buying a tuner not only for HP gain but more so for:
- eliminating the 160km/hr top speed limit
- eliminating the seat belt buzzer, for times it can bothersome as when hunting
- being able to run fog lamp and high beams together when on back roads
- adjusting speedo for different size tires
I've heard there are tuners that can do these things. Does anyone know which tuners and any other options besides HP gain they can offer?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man even "friends" eat each other's faces off when the topic of tunes comes up... What is it with the Eco crowed and the tune battles? I've been in the fuel injected performance game for a LONG time and I've never experienced it this bad with any single group of owners ever.

anyway, IMO the SCT tuners will provide you the most future potential for adding tunes. If you don't think you'll ever add a custom tune and only plan to use canned tunes; SCT, Hypertech and Ford Racing all make reliable and performance increasing tunes with their own devices. FRPP offers a 2 year power train warranty with theirs, but I'd read the fine print on that before I jump into it on blind faith of the warranty alone.

All tunes will likely result in either a voided engine warranty or a battle to so just that. They can't just blanket void your warranty like many seem to fear and the only way a tune would void anything, is if you had a catastrophic failure and were unable to return to stock for a few driving cycles before going I for service; or if you forget to flash back to stock and the dealer reflashes the ECU as part of an update, causing problems and making the service tech aware of the tune.

All that being said, if you want a little added performance with a safer tune, start out with the canned variety and see how it works out. There will be less probability (in a probability that's already low to begin with) of causing any major problems. If you don't think it's enough for you, order a custom tune or get the truck dyno / street tuned and you'll increase the performance even more. If the canned tune is enough for you, don't think about it again, just go enjoy your truck. Different strokes for different folks.

Whichever route you choose, you must understand that you take a level of responsibility onto yourself. Ford won't and shouldn't have to warranty a part that fails due to aftermarket modifications and you have only yourself to blame if you tune and destroy some part of the truck due to that. While the chances of a tune alone, causing failure are slim, you do take a chance however slight it may be. Reflash your truck back to stock a few days PRIOR to taking it in for any service or warranty work and get a few driving cycles on it, you'll be fine. Blow the engine and you'll likely be hosed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am interested in buying a tuner not only for HP gain but more so for:
- eliminating the 160km/hr top speed limit
- eliminating the seat belt buzzer, for times it can bothersome as when hunting
- being able to run fog lamp and high beams together when on back roads
- adjusting speedo for different size tires
I've heard there are tuners that can do these things. Does anyone know which tuners and any other options besides HP gain they can offer?
Speed limiter, tune related; speedometer adjustments, tune related. Seatbelt buzzer and fog light disconnect issue are not tune related and I've never heard of anyone "tuning" either out. Honestly, the seatbelt dinger is an easy fix. Go to a junk yard and cut a seatbelt latch off of a car with the same latch. Keep it in your center console and when you "go hunting" plug the latch into your receiver. Obviously that's a really bad idea for on road use, but it works if your trying to be stealthy and still be able go get out in a hurry.
The fog light / high beam issue is a wiring issue and can and has been "fixed" in the past. I believe there are quite a few write ups between here and other forums that explain how to fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with SSI tunes. I asked Shawn a million questions before ordering and he answered each one, probably cussing me under his breath! Anyway, to each his own, but SSI seems to make a good product and the customer support has been great. I went with the bluetooth SCT iPhone tuner.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts