F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, long time viewer and occasional poster on this sight. I will saw all of yall on here rock! I'm getting ready to look at buying a new F150 and want a reliable truck....I'm looking at 2nd Gen 3.5EBs and wonder what is the best year for them. I'm particularly looking at 2017-2019 model years and likely a platinum or a king ranch. I have a 2013 FX4 with a 3.5EB in it that runs a 5star 93 perf tune, catch can, and K&N filter and has 152K on the motor, my son will get this truck this month.
So let me here the opinion of the experts out here. Many thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
First of all, long time viewer and occasional poster on this sight. I will saw all of yall on here rock! I'm getting ready to look at buying a new F150 and want a reliable truck....I'm looking at 2nd Gen 3.5EBs and wonder what is the best year for them. I'm particularly looking at 2017-2019 model years and likely a platinum or a king ranch. I have a 2013 FX4 with a 3.5EB in it that runs a 5star 93 perf tune, catch can, and K&N filter and has 152K on the motor, my son will get this truck this month.
So let me here the opinion of the experts out here. Many thanks!
I would avoid the dreaded plastic oil pans. I could be wrong but I believe they discontinued them mid-end of 2018ish.

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
If you find the one you want and it has the plastic oil pan, it can easily be converted.

But even that isn't necessary unless you have an issue crop up. I think it's the 2.7 plastic oil pan that has the most reported issues. One of the FEW issues that 2.7 has on record.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you find the one you want and it has the plastic oil pan, it can easily be converted.

But even that isn't necessary unless you have an issue crop up. I think it's the 2.7 plastic oil pan that has the most reported issues. One of the FEW issues that 2.7 has on record.

They may be fine for now but plastic parts don’t last. 10-15 years from now those oil pans are going to be a real issue. An unnecessary problem for something so simple and essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
I get that. But 10-15 years takes its toll on a LOT of various parts and pieces on the modern vehicle. And just like other parts, you just replace it. Right?

I mean think about what percentage of folks take brand new wheels, tires, and shocks off their new vehicle and replace them with what they think is a better choice. Swapping for the now available metal oil pan is hardly a deal killer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Snakebitten and Truth...right now I'm looking at two Platinum Screws both with around 35k on them (2016 & 2019)

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
Thanks Snakebitten and Truth...right now I'm looking at two Platinum Screws both with around 35k on them (2016 & 2019)
The 16 is a VERY different truck. In 1000 ways.

Not to imply inferior, just different. But you likely can tell that if you have spent a good test drive in both.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Your very welcome. Just my two cents but I’d go for the 2nd gen 2019. 2017+ is port and direct injection so valves get carbon cleaned. One less thing to worry about imo. Buut I see you use a catch can so you will probably be ok either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again gents!
Snakebitten, I assume the transmission change play a large part along with a set of engine updates

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
Thanks again gents!
Snakebitten, I assume the transmission change play a large part along with a set of engine updates
Yea, the drive train is definitely a whole new generation. Not everything about it is loved by all, but it's an upgrade.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The second gen 3.5s also get you the bigger turbos and substantially more headroom for tuning, if zoom-zoom mods are on your wish list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The second gen 3.5s also get you the bigger turbos and substantially more headroom for tuning, if zoom-zoom mods are on your wish list.
Yep...that is definitely in the cards. I did test a 2016 3.5 Platinum that was cherry.
Gonna look at a 2019 3.5 Platinum also

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@snakebitten @tvsjr

I was doing some research and it looks like the 2016s have the 2nd Gen Eco mated to the 6 speed right? I assume they have the bigger turbos or did Ford slowplay it until 2017

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
Nope. 2017 for the 2nd gen 3.5EB. I don't believe there were any 2nd gens tied to the 6R... if it's a 10R, it's a 2nd gen.
And note that although the 17 got the new 3.5, the 18 is reported to be a substantial upgrade in turbos. It was an unheralded fact by Ford, but the tuning industry eventually discovered the additional potential as they learned from their work.

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
I'm partial to that 18 King Ranch because it was the "Kingsville Edition"

It's a long story, but it could be argued that my youngest son got scholarships and grants to play football for the Javelinas in Kingsville because he was driving my 2004 King Ranch F350 when he met and was introduced to the Defensive Coordinator on a recruiting visit to the high school.

The coach mentioned to my son "You realize that Texas A&M Kingsville has a long and storied history with The King Ranch?"

Honestly, James didn't have a clue, but went along with it. Smart boy! Even got an Ag degree without a single $ of student loans!

So yea, when I spotted "Kingsville Edition" on the window sticker, history called for a repeat! That first King Ranch probably saved mom & dad more money than it cost! Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm partial to that 18 King Ranch because it was the "Kingsville Edition"

It's a long story, but it could be argued that my youngest son got scholarships and grants to play football for the Javelinas in Kingsville because he was driving my 2004 King Ranch F350 when he met and was introduced to the Defensive Coordinator on a recruiting visit to the high school.

The coach mentioned to my son "You realize that Texas A&M Kingsville has a long and storied history with The King Ranch?"

Honestly, James didn't have a clue, but went along with it. Smart boy! Even got an Ag degree without a single $ of student loans!

So yea, when I spotted "Kingsville Edition" on the window sticker, history called for a repeat! That first King Ranch probably saved mom & dad more money than it cost! Lol

That is a nice KR bud....I'm not a big fan of white but it does work on those trucks. I'm currently trying to find a Blue Jean's Metallic or Black Magma Red Metallic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So one question for yall. What do you think of the 2.7 Eco? I found a pair of very nicely equipped 2018 Lariats for under 35K each. Same color and interior, both with 2.7L, one with 3.73 (14k miles) and the other with 3.55 rear (37K miles). I tow some but nothing heavy (10x8 trailer and the occasion car trailer).

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
So one question for yall. What do you think of the 2.7 Eco? I found a pair of very nicely equipped 2018 Lariats for under 35K each. Same color and interior, both with 2.7L, one with 3.73 (14k miles) and the other with 3.55 rear (37K miles). I tow some but nothing heavy (10x8 trailer and the occasion car trailer).
I prefer it (2.7) for everything I use a truck for, up to towing about 5000+.

It comes with considerable peace-of-mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts