F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately I've been losing boost, seemingly at random, when punching it - not necessarily WOT, although sometimes at WOT, but just hitting the gas maybe a little more than is necessary. Racing is very hit or miss lately, and even passing can be problematic.

Five star has been great about trying to work with me on what it could be, but so far we haven't figured it out. I had thought it was something to do with hitting a rev limit (I've only noticed the issue since swapping to 4.10s, and I hit that limit a whole lot more...) but today I was on a back-road and lost pressure 3-4 times on a single straightaway, and at middling RPMs.

Any ideas what could be happening here? Would upgraded turbos fix the issue? Could it be a tune problem?

EDIT: Maybe BOV? I'm going to turn it to harder and see if that helps, but it's been on for nearly a year with no issues until the last two months or so, so not real confident that's it.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Here’s the thing about many custom tunes. They remove the ability for the calibration to detect an overboost/underboost sitaution. All in all they raise the threshold.

Check Your BOV. Is it electronic or mechanical?

The stock calibration commands the eBOV to stay closed until a Blow-Off event is triggered. Many of the aftermarket mechanical BOVs stay open until boost forces them shut. This confuses the truck and causes drivability issues. It’s completely hit or miss but I would toss the stock eBOV in.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
749 Posts
Lately I've been losing boost, seemingly at random, when punching it - not necessarily WOT, although sometimes at WOT, but just hitting the gas maybe a little more than is necessary. Racing is very hit or miss lately, and even passing can be problematic.

Five star has been great about trying to work with me on what it could be, but so far we haven't figured it out. I had thought it was something to do with hitting a rev limit (I've only noticed the issue since swapping to 4.10s, and I hit that limit a whole lot more...) but today I was on a back-road and lost pressure 3-4 times on a single straightaway, and at middling RPMs.

Any ideas what could be happening here? Would upgraded turbos fix the issue? Could it be a tune problem?

EDIT: Maybe BOV? I'm going to turn it to harder and see if that helps, but it's been on for nearly a year with no issues until the last two months or so, so not real confident that's it.
Like SRP said, check the BOV. I had a similar issue, however not sure it was as bad as you are describing, but the truck was not putting out full power. So I took the Turbosmart supersonic off and put the stock BOv back and it fixed the problem. Right now turbosmart is inspecting the part to see if there’s anything wrong. I’m gunning for them to give me the Veeport BOV instead.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
The OEM unit uses a rubber diaphragm and electronic plunger. It holds Boost just fine. In fact all the way up to 30psi. I havent tested higher as there’s no need. Not sure where the myth went around saying it leaks boost.

Seems to only be a problem as it deteriorates overtime due to moisture and vehicle heat cycles. Which is most likely when you would have issues.

There’s a reason the eBOV unit is only attached with 2 bolts - being it’s a wear item and is easily replaceable.

Going aftermarket doesn’t hurt, but I’d rather keep it the way the engineers designed. Unless you’re beyond the point of simple bolt-ons. Then do whatever you’re comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
My eBOV had the issues SRP described and subsequently the symptoms the OP described.

Replaced it with another eBOV and it fixed the issue, until I started really throwing money at this thing and went full aftermarket.

The aspect of the tune is true and correct, regarding removing the ability to detect boost/overboost and adjusting accordingly. If THAT is the issue they should be able to remedy it with a softer palette.

Curious though if you have a diaphragm leaking...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try to take a look at the diaphragm, today hopefully. Does that make sense if it's only an intermittent issue, though? More often than not, I can floor it and it holds boost fine - it just never fails that the time I actually NEED the power, and am not just playing around, that it vents.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Yes. Mine would do the exact same thing, I initially thought it was the wastegate controller, but after running diagnostics and reading on several forums, I pulled the eBOV and inspected the diaphragm. Boom.

It was like $40 for a new one on ebay...so I did not buy a replacement diaphragm just replaced the whole unit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trying to look up my BOV (Turbosmart Supersonic) to see if it even has a diaphragm, and it looks like it's sealed with a piston, and no diaphragm from what I can tell. Getting under the truck at lunch today to physically look, but only replacement parts I can find are on Full-Race's site, and is a set of o-rings.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I would throw the stock unit on and see if the problem goes away.

It’s not that the turbosmart is leaking. Those mechanical units seem to confuse the truck because the stock unit is commanded closed while they remain open.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doing it today - I'll report back either way. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
When you say lose boost, is it a quick, total loss of boost or is it just tapering off?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a quick total loss of boost. It's as if I had taken my foot off the gas, except I haven't. Whenever it happens, and I keep my foot on the gas, it builds boost back up after maybe half a second and generally holds it - except for the time I mentioned originally, where it vented a solid 3 or 4 times one time after another.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Did you check the orientation of the banjo fitting? That seems to be a common problem with aftermarket BOV's...

I generally mark mine so I know once it is installed that the boost reference is getting a fully loaded stream of boosty goodness...(because I am sometimes an idiot and need a refererence!)

You can see the port, sort of here...

You can see where I have turned the banjo slightly and now the port is slightly occluded

Worth a shot to check this before you ditch the supersonic...they do work very well.

Did you install the included pigtail?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Did you check the orientation of the banjo fitting? That seems to be a common problem with aftermarket BOV's...

I generally mark mine so I know once it is installed that the boost reference is getting a fully loaded stream of boosty goodness...(because I am sometimes an idiot and need a refererence!)
View attachment 173252

You can see the port, sort of here...
View attachment 173253

You can see where I have turned the banjo slightly and now the port is slightly occluded
View attachment 173254

Worth a shot to check this before you ditch the supersonic...they do work very well.

I have a video on my YouTube about this exact issue. I did the same as you and marked each hole with a magic marker.

Reactions: TangoMike415

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
It is an easy thing to jack up for sure. Learned that very trick on several import builds. wondering why surge was happening, losing boost, etc. Post a link to your video here, might help.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Here it is. Well, see I was getting tons and tons of surge and I had everything how it should have been. But as soon as I removed that Supersonic all the surge went away and the stock BOV seems to work great. My BOv is at Turbosmart now getting inspected. Hopefully they will send me a Veeport instead.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did install the pigtail, but never checked the orientation of the banjo fitting - and honestly didn't realize it mattered. Just checked under the truck (I'm at work so not a huge amount of time!) and it's pointing left, just as yours is in the topmost picture. I also turned it slightly harder, which wasn't easy - it seems to be on the harder side already, but I've certainly had no issues with NOT being able to vent...

I'll double-check (and mark with permanent marker) the fitting, and come back with results!

Seriously also, thanks y'all for all the help. I've been regretting the gear swap, thinking somehow that caused this.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
You will get to the bottom of it, I know how stressful it is...I am working through some fuel issues myself and it is one of those things that makes you want to pull your hair out (and I do not have a lot to spare) without the proper tools.

My diagnostic scanner decided to go be with the scanner lord, so I ordered a new one and it is supposed to be delivered today. Should provide fuel pressure insight which will aide in directing me to the problem...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just checked under the truck (I'm at work so not a huge amount of time!) and it's pointing left, just as yours is in the topmost picture.
Cap is marked and replaced - and pointing left was definitely plugging the hole. I also set it to full soft, and adjusted it per the instructions, which I also definitely didn't do previously. It's a wonder I haven't been having problems with it since installing it last fall! I'll report back after driving home and testing it a lil bit.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts