F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,455 Posts
Awesome forums are a result of awesome forum members.
This forum is one of them and this thread is a great example.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Drove home while acting a fool and trying to re-create any situation where I lost boost - no loss! Drove to work this morning doing the same (MPG, which I reset two tanks of gas prior, dropped from 17.6 to 13.9 over the course of 30 minutes!) and still no boost loss. I'll update again if it happens again, but I think it's fixed. Thanks again y'all!

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Awesome. Glad you were able to make a worthwhile trip with the full power of your eco!

Report back and advise if the issue returns!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Welp, issue happened once yesterday. I was coming around a curve onto a highway, starting around 30mph. Went WOT, RPM went to redline, and lost boost. Attempted to recreate that situation a few other times, and it held boost fine. Also, last run I popped a P008A CEL, so that's good times.

Could it be the gears/too much gear? I'm planning on clearing the code and hoping it doesn't return, but the boost venting is infuriating!

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Do you have ForScan or a buddy with a diagnostic tool? Fuel pressure low is a "pin out of the grenade" situation for a FA interference motor. Of course it may sound more dramatic than it is, until it isnt.

Lean condition is the result and these engines being "smart" may be compensating for that very scenario by ramping back on the wastegate controls and essentially dumping boost.

I would strongly suggest monitoring the fuel rail pressure and desired fuel rail pressure PID's on a graph and see if they coincide.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gonna see if I can monitor those PID's on Livelink gen 2. I definitely didn't think it was (possibly) that bad an issue! Am I okay driving it in the meantime? No more WOT pulls for the time being I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Gears should not effect it at all. It’s either the tune or the BOV still isn’t functioning correctly.

Have you tried throwing the stock unit back on?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Agree with @SrpRacing gearing is a nonissue in this regard.

I had the opposite happen on mine when I put it all back together. The truck would not build boost, started slow and then threw a few codes. The primary code was P0087 which is the rail fuel pressure (too low.) Hooked up the diagnostic machine and drove it a short distance (because it was unable to really pick up speed) and discovered pretty quickly that the DESIRED rail pressure and the ACTUAL rail pressure were drastically different.

Speaking of which I need to see if I can get those graphs off of my tool to post.

Ordered a replacement HPFP that will be here next week and we shall try again.

This was with stock tune AND the 93 performance, 93 tow tunes. Same results.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ordered a replacement HPFP that will be here next week and we shall try again.
Sounds like if rail pressure is lower than desired, that isn't simply something that can be revised in the tune - new HPFP is the solution?

EDIT: @SrpRacing I haven't done that yet - was really hoping that it was as simple as my banjo fitting not being adjusted correctly. This is the next step though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm on it - I'll report back either way.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
@Mike2019SCrew yes on my truck that is what is the perceived issue. On yours, @SrpRacing is correct. It may very well be the in tank pump failing, getting hot, etc.

On the majority of FA induction motors I have built or worked on, if the owner/operator lets the level of fuel drop below a certain level (generally 1/4 and below) the life span of the in tank pump is drastically reduced. The reason for this is that those pumps are (believe it or not) cooled by the fuel that surrounds them. Heat creates issues for everything, especially electronic components such as a fuel pump.

Swapping in the eBOV is not a bad idea, I would suggest doing a KAM reset as well.

Did you get ForScan by chance?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Swapping in the eBOV is not a bad idea, I would suggest doing a KAM reset as well.

Did you get ForScan by chance?
Going to swap the eBOV back on at lunch today; life doesn't give me much time for this type of thing lately. I'll do a KAM reset at the same time.

I haven't gotten ForScan, simply because the cables/devices they're suggesting to use with it are expensive! Is there a way to use ForScan with another device?

Oddly enough, I changed my oil this weekend, along with spark plugs. When starting the truck back up afterward, CEL is gone.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Factory BOV reinstalled, and KAM reset done. Also went ahead and ordered an ELM327 - thank you @SrpRacing! @TangoMike415 I'm in west Tennessee, and man I really appreciate how much help you've already been. Hopefully when the ELM327 comes, on Thursday, I can get some logging done and hopefully have some answers! In the meantime, at least the CEL is gone without my having to manually clear it. I hate doing that.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Won't be in mine for now, however. Chasing a gremlin and am striking out. So it is on shop arrest.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts