F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened twice to me. First start in the morning the power is way down. This keeps up until I turned the engine off while in the store, then next start all fine. It is 2011 3.5 screw with a Hypertech tune. It has plenty power when all is well. I can't imagine what this could be, but guessing an electrical/computer issue. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts
Any other mods ?
What area ya live in ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I cant do those. Today it was fine. It has happened 2 times about 3 weeks apart.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
861 Posts
There's tuners that don't monitor OAR and knock? Hmm. You may want to get a bluetooth dongle, and bust out the Forscan. Seems to me you'll need alot more than vague info to diagnose this.

Reactions: mlesch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been 40's to 90's the past few weeks. I drive at least 100 miles per day.
The tuner I have is 8 years old. I have updated it over the years. It will read codes but nothing else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since it has only happened twice I haven't tried stock tune. I will put the stock tune in and see what happens. I guess it wouldn't hurt to update the tuner at the same time

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
861 Posts
Srp brings up a good question. Could help weed out some of the issues if it doesn't persist.

A cheap dongle might cost you 20 bucks on Amazon. If you're using an iPhone you will want a Wifi dongle, not the bluetooth. Monitoring what's happening will help get to the root of the issue much faster. Also will help you to narrow things down in the future with other issues. You're then not at the mercy of outside services to simply try to diagnose,.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had no idea these existed. I am an old fart and dont keep up with these things. I will order one hand report back.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
861 Posts
I'd read up, and maybe ask a few of these guys round here which things you might monitor in this situation. Much smarter fellas than I to cover the bases.

You'll need an app for your phone. I believe there's a couple free ones that cover basic stuff. Forscan on a laptop is free. Pretty extensive list of things you may find yourself wanting to monitor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I bought a bluetooth obd2 monitor. I have a code poo16. It says bank 1 sensor 1. I cleaned the map sensors hoping that might help. It didnt as far as I can tell. It is beginning to get worse. It is very sluggish and straining until about 4500rpm then takes off. While going od the highway at 65mph I get a reading of 4 lbs boost. When all is well I have vacuum under same load. I can shut it off and all I add well for a while then goes back to sluggish. I am thinking of changing the maps sensors and cam sensors. Probably the crank sensor as well. I have almost 250,000 miles and that probably wont hurt to do. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hate to say it.... but that code usually points to a stretched timing chain. I could be wrong tho and it can be as simple as a sensor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say it.... but that code usually points to a stretched timing chain. I could be wrong tho and it can be as simple as a sensor.
I am pretty sure what ever the worst case scenario is....will be what it is.....that's how I roll

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is hard for an old timer like me to understand. Why does it run fine and when it acts up, I switch the engine off and back on and all is well again. I know there is some vodoo going on with the cam timing adjusting.
I also look at a video where they pulled the cab to to replace the timing chain. It might be cheaper to have it come up missing than have repaired......but you didn't hear that here!

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Lol
Not about your truck though.

Honestly, if I can get to 250,000 miles on mine before it starts causing me to question "what's wrong"..........

I'll gladly have that cab lifted and put a brand spanking new whatever!

Afterall, my theory is that this Aluminum truck might just be the first slam dunk second-drivetrain deserving truck I've ever had. At 62, I'd love to still be parking it in the barn when I'm 80.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts