F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody can help me out. I have a 2013 3.5 and get a loud air rushing sound when the truck is under boost and can feel a vibration in the gas pedal. It's fine if you don't give it a lot of gas or ease into the throttle, but it really kicks in if the turbos spool up too fast. I'm thinking its a leak since it doesn't seem to produce much power when it happens. After doing some research, I replaced the BOV but its still there. I did notice the recirculation canister seemed to be a little loose once the bolts for the BOV were out. I'm assuming once the bolts are in its ok. Checked everything else and can't find any leaks. Wasn't sure if it could be a wastegate. I'd appreciate any thoughts on where I should be looking. I'd post a video if I could figure out how.

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Others more technical than me will most likely chime in soon, but until then, have you checked all of the air intake system to ensure that are no gaps or loose connections?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Others more technical than me will most likely chime in soon, but until then, have you checked all of the air intake system to ensure that are no gaps or loose connections?
Yes, that was the first thing I checked. All piping on the intake and vacum lines seems tight. Nothing obvious on intercooler or exhaust. Its just weird because it only happens when the turbos spool up quickly like the sudden pressure change causes a leak.

·
Registered
2022 Carbonized Gray F150 XLT SuperCrew 3.5l Ecoboost/MaxTow/302A High
145 Posts
Is there a BOV for each turbo? or one for the entire system? Did you replace with an aftermarket bov?

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a BOV for each turbo? or one for the entire system? Did you replace with an aftermarket bov?
Single BOV on the recirculation canister on the intercooler. The old one didn't look like it had any tears in it so I just replaced with a stock one for the price. I know they aren't the greatest but never had any issue before. The only thing was the canister seemed like it had some slop to it when it was unbolted. I thought you had to remove the intercooler to get it out so I didn't try that yet. Can't find any info on the canister. I was wondering if there was maybe an o ring on it that went bad.

·
Registered
2022 Carbonized Gray F150 XLT SuperCrew 3.5l Ecoboost/MaxTow/302A High
145 Posts
Just bumping this up, hoping others will chime in. I have a buddy having a similar problem, not sure if he has solved it yet either.

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
34 Posts
Any codes? Do you feel a loss of power or acceleration when it happens? How many miles are on the truck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any codes? Do you feel a loss of power or acceleration when it happens? How many miles are on the truck?
It's been throwing P0420 code. I replaced the cats and plugs but CEL just came back on. There's about 130k miles on it. When the boost kicks in hard and you get the rushing air sound (sounds like air coming out of a balloon) it falls flat and there's no power. If you let it spool up slowly and you don't get the air leak you can still feel the power.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,516 Posts
The single CAC mounted BOV correct? If so the connection to the CAC is a twist in with an O-ring seal and a bolt hold down. Possible source for a boost leak, especially if recently disassembled. KM

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
34 Posts
Code P0420 is bank 1 passenger side of the engine. With the engine off check the passenger side turbo and make sure the vacuum line is connected to the wastegate. If it's connected, then visually inspect the host for leaks. If that looks okay, then observe the passenger side while idling the truck at ~2000 rpm (get a friend to help you). Maybe you can locate it that way. If it's not the wastegate vacuum hose, then my guess is that you either have an exhaust manifold leak or a malfunctioning wastegate on the passenger side turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Code P0420 is bank 1 passenger side of the engine. With the engine off check the passenger side turbo and make sure the vacuum line is connected to the wastegate. If it's connected, then visually inspect the host for leaks. If that looks okay, then observe the passenger side while idling the truck at ~2000 rpm (get a friend to help you). Maybe you can locate it that way. If it's not the wastegate vacuum hose, then my guess is that you either have an exhaust manifold leak or a malfunctioning wastegate on the passenger side turbo.
Thanks for the help everybody. I'll check it all out. It's definitely something to do with the turbos and not an exhaust manifold leak. It only does it when driving. Not sure how but there's some sort of disconnect for the turbos when its in park or neutral. I can stomp on the gas in park and can't replicate the sound and turbos don't spool. I'll definitely check out the passenger side turbo but it sounds like it's on the driver's side. I know that can be deceiving. Hoping its an O ring on the CAC. Thought I had to pull the intercooler to get at it.

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,516 Posts
The turbos are working in neutral, the engine just does not need the boost to rev unloaded. That is one of the differences tween belt driven blower and turbocharger. KM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts