F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have looked through many threads and don't seem to see the noise I am experiencing. I have a 2015 3.5 liter that when under boost develops a loud air leak sound from under hood. When the boost drops the noise drops. I took to the dealer and they performed diagnostics and smoke check for leaks and gave a clean bill of health. There are no performance issues, just a lot of noise.

·
Registered
2018 SCREW Platinum 3.5, BoostKing tuned.
311 Posts
These trucks will use the blow off valve in conjunction with the wastegate to regulate boost. Especially under part throttle, high load conditions. Are you new to these trucks? My truck also makes a distinct rushing sound, but I know it is the BOV's cracking to regulate boost and to prevent surge.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It could also be something simple. A while back, I pulled the grille off (installing emergency equipment). I wasn't done, so I buttoned things back up but didn't reinstall the top cover and all the pushpins... including the pushpins in the intake "snoot". Take the wife to dinner, get in the boost a bit, and I start hearing this horrible sucking noise.

Did you know the 3.5EB pulls enough vacuum when the turbos are spooled that it can suck the intake boot back in the intake? Oops. :eek:

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Had the same exact thing happened in my old 2013 3.5 and it ended up being a torn bov diaphragm, was almost non visible by the eye

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a 2017 Fusion Sport, which has the 2.7 EB engine in it. I had a similar sound, and it was the stock DV leaking boost, could hear it plain as day. Upgraded to a Go Fast Bits DV, problem solved. But the OEM DV and solenoid in the F150 is entirely different, and I'd imagine different still with the 3.5? But based on the description of the sound, I'd say it's a boost leak of some kind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sounds like a boost leak. look at all your intercooler boots/ tubes. plastic tubes love to crack over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the exact same issue with my 2014 Ecoboost. I’ve taken it to the dealer twice and they say everything checks out. Did you figure out what the problem was or were you able to get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,845 Posts
Mine does the same but it seems to hold boost and runs like a scalded ape so ...

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,845 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Installed the Injen intake system into my 2017 3.5 litter Ecoboost with 49K miles on it, Took it for a spin and 5 minutes into the test drive, it started to make the same excessive air suction noise... I didn't feel performance loss but I noticed it is quiet at first but once the engine is warmed up it gets louder, Made me question that is this normal or is there something wrong?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts