F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have heated seats, how loud is the motor when you turn them on? I've never really used them before today and noticed a loud whine while having the heated seats on.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used my heated seats several times now, and havent really noticed the truck sounding any different. I have noticed that when I use auto start that sometimes it sounds like the turbo is running but only for a few seconds. Over all the only reason that I know my seat heater/cooler is even on is the the fact that I nearly burn or freeze my butt off.

For those who have heated seats, how loud is the motor when you turn them on? I've never really used them before today and noticed a loud whine while having the heated seats on.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Could it be alternator whine with the added current load? I hear my turbos when using remote start also. There is also a loud clunk a few seconds after starting too. ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
My heated seats don't make andy noise and I don't see why they should. I believe there are just some electric wires in the seats that are heated up by the battery/electrical system.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
A couple of times but since changing the battery in the key no sweat. I do think the battery going out was a bit premature after only two months but I do use the remote function quite a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This might sound a little stupid, but are you sure it's not the cooled seat that you turned on? And not the heat...

'Cause by turning the heated seats on, you shouldn't hear anything as it's resistance in wires that produces the heat... But when you turn the cooled seats on, there's a little fan that forces the cooled air through the seats surface, hence it making some noise...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the heated/cooled seats and have not noticed any strange sounds.. I have noticed that the air blows thru the seats with heat or
ac turned on.. Just put your hand over the seat air holes when you have it turned on high and you can feel it..

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, it's certainly when the heated seats are turned on. I haven't had a chance yet to take it in, but I'm hoping this week I can.

This might sound a little stupid, but are you sure it's not the cooled seat that you turned on? And not the heat...

'Cause by turning the heated seats on, you shouldn't hear anything as it's resistance in wires that produces the heat... But when you turn the cooled seats on, there's a little fan that forces the cooled air through the seats surface, hence it making some noise...

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no motor involved with Heated Seats. The heating element is like an electric blanket and is just under the leather or fabric. They work off of current resistance just like a electric stove element. No motor or moving parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought this was normal...guess not...there is a definite whine or woosh i guess you could say. Should've thought something was awry, didn't have much if any noise in our 06 Nav, or grandparents' 09 Venza or 08 Super Duty with the heated seats on.

Any info on this problem? I'll probably go tomorrow and check it out.

Side note: Anyone else notice a "dead spot" on your horn? seems like if I press it with my right thumb(I think, haven't had to honk much), there is no response, but works fine in other spots.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
First time I had to toot I found it was particular about where I pushed it. Next door neighbor had one with his Expedition that would only work on dry days. Need to find out if they fixed it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of times but since changing the battery in the key no sweat. I do think the battery going out was a bit premature after only two months but I do use the remote function quite a bit.
Yep, had a fob with the battery going dead. I thought it was a start problem, even stopped by the dealer. Of course it started everytime. Changed Fob's, and all is good now. Must have had a bunch of weak batteries.

@Dan, my seats don't make any noise when turned on. Keep us updated, as you never know what could come up. Thanks, and good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine seats do not make any noise either when their heater is on. I was surprised a bit however by the sound of the cooled seats but makes sense the more I think of it. I bet I will not notice anything with the windows down and radio cranked this summer:cool:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I hear noise with the heated seats as well. I have also felt air movement through the holes in the seat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
23 Participants
Banya
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing