F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m traveling for work today and about 30 minutes ago this sound just popped up out of nowhere. I was traveling on a 65 mile an hour highway with the cruise control set at 70 and the sound did not slowly come on it was instant.

Sounds like an exhaust rattle and hopefully not the catalytic converters. From inside the truck I can hear the sound coming from the left and right side. Just as the noise starts to happen I will hear it come on one side of the truck before the other and when they go away is the same thing they don’t both go quiet at the same time. There’s only a half a second or so between the two noises starting and stopping and both noises sound exactly the same just one on the left and one on the right.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve had three people watch the video so far but nobody has an idea yet what this problem is. I’m an hour or so away from home and I’m going to put the truck on the lift and let it cool down and hopefully I’ll find an answer fairly quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other bit of information that may be normal or not is the boost level. Max boost in stock tune will only go as high as 13.8. This is not something I watch all the time so I can’t remember if that’s normal or not but it does seem a little bit low.

The 13.8 was seen in the video and recently going up a long steep grade I put the pedal to the floor and it stayed at 12.0 most of the time but then it jumped up to 13.5 but no higher than that. The truck still seems to drive perfect and have good power and no warning signs whatsoever other than the noise.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Weird!

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,093 Posts
These engines are not always pulling a vacuum and best I can tell this check valve prevents the boost from releasing the hubs and allowing them to lock.
I bet you are right on. (beware me agreeing with you. That may not bode well)

I will say the title of your thread threw me though. That nasty misbehaving IWE sound isn't so much a rattle as it is a clicking, and then can advance to a grind.

Regardless, doesn't feel win win when the solution is 10 bucks!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joeymt33

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bet you are right on. (beware me agreeing with you. That may not bode well)

I will say the title of your thread threw me thow. That nasty misbehaving IWE sound isn't so much a rattle as it is a clicking, and then can advance to a grind.

Regardless, doesn't feel win win when the solution is 10 bucks!?

It didn’t sound llike hubs grinding to me either. Sounded like an exhaust heat shield rattling violently. I’m guessing because it was happening while going fast it sounded different. It never would happen while driving slow because there was some engine vacuum holding the hubs open. I assume that’s what’s going on but I just made another stop and I have probably been another 60 or 70 miles since last report and still have no issue.

I kind of like the way the title is worded because this could happen to someone else and hopefully they find this thread.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Glad you found it! (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard the same rattle today driving back from Kentucky and last time I bought a check valve I bought two. So sure enough I pulled over and changed the check valve and the noise went away. The check valve that I removed I can blow through both sides.

I reckon it’s time for me to order a couple more.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
yep had the same issue, took it in for warranty and they replaced the driver's side IWE still kept grinding so i researched and i ordered the parts and replaced the check value and the solenoid, have not had it happen again time will tell

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just went through this as well with the violent rattle out of the blue. I did find that if I shifted to 4hi for a min or 2 and then back to 2wd it would be fine until the truck sat a bit. Replaced the check valve at just over 28k miles and all has been good. Ordered an extra to keep in the glove box. Funny how Ford put this valve in such an easy location to get to.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe you could post a part number as well...great find! I'm sure the dealerships would love to get that truck in and find $1500 worth of repairs. Oh ya, labor too ??

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
13,093 Posts
I grabbed a couple of them off Amazon.
I haven't installed them yet, but I believe this is them

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard the same rattle today driving back from Kentucky and last time I bought a check valve I bought two. So sure enough I pulled over and changed the check valve and the noise went away. The check valve that I removed I can blow through both sides.

I reckon it’s time for me to order a couple more.
I’m sorry to revive an old thread but did the check valve really solve the rattling noise guys were experiencing? I’ve experienced what sounds like the exact same noise in my 2017 F150 3.5 EB truck. I have had it looked at by Ford but they weren’t able to diagnose what was causing the noise since it was intermittent and only happens once and a while then goes away, and couldn't be replicated.

This truck only has 7,057 miles.

I also found this TSB today:

And just today my check engine light just came on, was wondering if by chance they could be related.

Scheduled an appt with Ford just want to be prepared when I go in.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts