F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck threw a P299 code a few days ago. I have the Torque app and have been watching the boost closely and sometimes it's fine and other times it will only build up to 6psi. The truck is sluggish when it won't build normal boost. When it's not normal I hear a chirp or hoot when I easy of off the accelerator pedal. I've checked all of the "vacuum" lines going to and from the wastegates and wastegate solenoid and they look fine. Is this a BOV, wastegate or a wastegate solenoid issue?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had this same code last week. Sometimes my truck would feel the same way. Like it wasn't making boost and felt sluggish. I never had any weird noise though.

I had a BCB tune in and flashed it back to stock. It is a turbocharger underboost code.

I was on my way home from work and noticed the CEL. When I got home I checked it with my SCTx4. I have not had the code come back since last Thursday.

From what I can find, people either clear the code and it does comes back or the turbo may have issues.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My truck threw a P299 code a few days ago. I have the Torque app and have been watching the boost closely and sometimes it's fine and other times it will only build up to 6psi. The truck is sluggish when it won't build normal boost. When it's not normal I hear a chirp or hoot when I easy of off the accelerator pedal. I've checked all of the "vacuum" lines going to and from the wastegates and wastegate solenoid and they look fine. Is this a BOV, wastegate or a wastegate solenoid issue?
P0299 (underboost) means the turbos are not able to deliver the commanded boost.
Seeing as you have a 2013 with the E-BOV, I would pull it off, and check the diaphragm for a tear, which could cause a leak under boost.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is it possible to remove the ebov without dropping the CAC?
Totally what Noodles said. I have a 13, and I had this issue. The Diaphragm is orange, look thoroughly for a hole. Yes, you can remove this without taking off the CAC. 15-20 minute job taking it off, inspecting, and putting back on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible to remove the ebov without dropping the CAC?
Totally what Noodles said. I have a 13, and I had this issue. The Diaphragm is orange, look thoroughly for a hole. Yes, you can remove this without taking off the CAC. 15-20 minute job taking it off, inspecting, and putting back on.
Ok thanks!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Ok thanks!
I've not been able to rotate the canister off the CAC with it installed, however, the E-BOV can be removed from the canister (2x 8mm bolts), leaving the canister still attached to the CAC.

With that being said, it wouldn't hurt to remove the CAC and give it a good cleaning... inside and out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've not been able to rotate the canister off the CAC with it installed, however, the E-BOV can be removed from the canister (2x 8mm bolts), leaving the canister still attached to the CAC.

With that being said, it wouldn't hurt to remove the CAC and give it a good cleaning... inside and out.
Is the canister where the diaphragm is located? I have taken off the BOV and did not notice any tears.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
This forum is awesome, right?

Amazing how many pieces have to work properly for these incredibly complex twin Turbo motors to operate at peak.

That little tiny hole in a piece of latex THWARTS the intended internal combustion process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
This forum is awesome, right?

Amazing how many pieces have to work properly for these incredibly complex twin Turbo motors to operate at peak.

That little tiny hole in a piece of latex THWARTS the intended internal combustion process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You definitely don't want any holes in latex, of any sorts.

on a side note, glad you found the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changed out the ebov this morning. Truck runs great after a short test drive. Thanks for the help. This is the first issue I've had with the truck.
Sounds like a new timing chain and phasers are probably in the plan down the road. Hear the slack on startup in the morning.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Changed out the ebov this morning. Truck runs great after a short test drive. Thanks for the help. This is the first issue I've had with the truck.
Sounds like a new timing chain and phasers are probably in the plan down the road. Hear the slack on startup in the morning.
Edit: Found the part#. AA5Z-9U465-A for a 2013. Happy to hear that was your fix.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have to say thanks to PhotoDJ, noodles, and mikedick. I got home and pulled off the part. Noticed a tear right away. I have been irritated with the truck for while and only got the code last week.

Thanks guys.

Going to pick up the part at a Ford dealership on Saturday morning.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You definitely don't want any holes in latex, of any sorts.

on a side note, glad you found the problem.
They are only 99% effective. Remember that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have to say thanks to PhotoDJ, noodles, and mikedick. I got home and pulled off the part. Noticed a tear right away. I have been irritated with the truck for while and only got the code last week.

Thanks guys.

Going to pick up the part at a Ford dealership on Saturday morning.

Glad you found your issue also, dude. Hope you don't have to be irritated with your truck anymore! This is one of the more overlooked items on these trucks. Mine never threw a code. I just knew it ran like trash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts