F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you see a lot of sludge build up, You might consider adding something to your oil to clean up the oil passage ways. My ecm replacement didn`t work. So I ordered a new engine bay wire harness.
Good idea, thanks...

I'm going to start back on it on Tuesday when I get off these night shifts, I will keep y'all posted.

MAC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Update, Finally got some time to work on "ole Blue"... have it tore all the way down with front cover off, already replaced the secondary timing chains that I didn't replace the first time.

Now I am working on pulling the oil pan. I removed the cross member and stabilizer bar, I also removed the passenger side bolt and the lower bolt on the front axle to let it drop a little bit. I removed all the bolts from the oil pan. Is there any tricks getting this buggabear to come off... I am having a little trouble... found my trouble, missed a bolt on the bell housing (DUUHHH)... LOL.

Also had to pull upper bolt on front axle to get clearance to pull out oil pan.

Thanks,
MAC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
SOOOO the oil pan was full of gritty sludge, kinda feels like chewed up plastic. The oil pick up screen was totally filled with the same sludgy material. Like I said, feels like ground up plastic. I have pictures but I am going to have to figure out how to upload from my phone...

Now going to reinspect all chain guides and everything plastic I can find... I don't know if it is plastic just feels that way. Only had a couple very very small pieces of metal that the magnet picked up... Calling it a night...

MAC

·
Admodistrator
2,431 Posts
Seems like you’ve identified your problem but I gotta wonder what’s upstairs hiding in the solenoids? It would be horrible to do a repeat because the passages are plugged up. Did you get any pics.

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Are our waterpumps plastic empeller?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,004 Posts
I sure hope nothing in the coolant got into the crankcase :oops:

·
Premium Member
6,898 Posts
Good point. Don't know why I thought that

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If I was home, booze would be the reason 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: wrmcdonald5

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The water pump was in great shape, no damage to impellar.

The VVT/VCT solenoids are new, only been through one test drive, maybe I can flush them out and the pickup tubes... what do you think?

MAC

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You may be okay if you can get all that crud out of there. Be sure to pull the oil fittings going to the turbos. There are little screens in there. I'd probably just replace.

Once you get it running again, I'd let the oil settle and do another oil change.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think it is coked burnt oil, not plastic, it is way too much to be plastic. Also looks to be all down in the oil pan and plugged on oil pickup screen. going to pull the windage tray and probably inspect a Main bearing tonight. Any thoughts on spraying a lube or oil up into the bottom of engine to ensure no coked burnt oil pieces are clinging to any surface???

Also going to try and download pictures still...

Thanks,
MAC

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Won't hurt since you will change oil again real soon.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ya I'd also say baked on oil. What oil have you used in it ?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ok well so that's what burnt synthetic oil looks like.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I thought full syn had a higher boiling temp than regular oil? Wouldnt that be the dino component in the mc oil?

I'd probably do a full cleanse with carb cleaner to get as many bits as i could then fresh oil, change, repeat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I thought full syn had a higher boiling temp than regular oil? Wouldnt that be the dino component in the mc oil?

I'd probably do a full cleanse with carb cleaner to get as many bits as i could then fresh oil, change, repeat.
I agree, also I will admit like I said in an earlier post I did go a few times with extended time between oil changes (instead of 5000 miles I went to 10000) I would not have thought this was the outcome, but you live and learn. That definately will not happen again!!!

Thanks
MAC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hate to keep making work for you but I’d love to see what the inside of the oil filter looks like when cut open.
I will cut it open and look, no problem... I am curious too. This filter only has 3 test drives on it but we will see if it has trapped anything.

Thanks,
MAC

21 - 40 of 57 Posts