F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Low Oil Pressure Warning under acceleration

Has anyone experienced this issue before on the 2015 F150 XLT with 2.7 engine? Engine only had 5300 miles when this happened. When entering highway under medium to heavy acceleration on straight ramp power fell flat and low oil pressure warning message appeared on dash. Oil pressure gauge was also showing 0 psi. At the same time engine made clicking noise similiar to a diesel idling, just not as loud. Let off accellerator and rpms came back up and oil pressure gauge moved back to normal position.

Pulled over and everything seemed normal. Wanted to see if it would happen again.so this time tried hard acceleration from 0 to 60 and it did the same thing. Went to nearest auto store and picked up two quarts of oil. In parking lot checked dipstick and it was dry from oring all the way to tip. I have heard that on these engines it takes a while for oil to return to the pan. Waited about 15 minutes and checked level again, still no reading on dipstick. Added half a quart, still nothing. Added remaining quart, still no reading on dipstick. Not wanting to overfill I decided not to add second quart. Took to dealer next day for oil change and they said it was full and not overfilled. I thought it would be over by at least a half a quart. Techs could not explain what happened. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Sounds like a pretty serious oil leak. No puddles? No mess under the hood?

So is the dealer going to look at it for the issue you described?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No leaks, puddles, drips of any kind. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it or even why the low oil press. warning activated.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Have you had your oil changed yet? Just thinking maybe you could have gotten a bad oil filter. Most likely not the case but a relative easy place to look.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did it cutout like it was stalling?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you had your oil changed yet? Just thinking maybe you could have gotten a bad oil filter. Most likely not the case but a relative easy place to look.

Yes the dealer changed the filter and oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did it cutout like it was stalling?
Yes it did, RPMs dropped I thought it stalled out until I took my foot off the gas and it "restarted" for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I should have been more specific. Did this happen shortly after the dealership oil change or in close proximity to it?

If there are no visible leaks, etc., and you don't see a blue smoke I'd change the filter again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have been more specific. Did this happen shortly after the dealership oil change or in close proximity to it?

If there are no visible leaks, etc., and you don't see a blue smoke I'd change the filter again.
No this happened before the first oil change and the only blue smoke I ever noticed was about every other start up in the mornings.

After the oil change the problem has so far disappeared, I am wondering if it will apear in another 5000 miles again. Are there any known problems with major oil consumption on these engines?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't have the 2.7, and from what I've seen on here is that more times than not guys suffer from oil rising (due to fuel in the oil, which I believe there are TSB's out for). I certainly would continue to monitor it, and at any sign of oil level changing I'd be in to the dealer with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my first thought too, but thinking back I had driven just as aggressive before and the issue did not happen. Wonder if it's eating the oil somewhere and it finally got low enough to starve the oil pickup on acceleration.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wouldn't think a quart low would cause any issues like that unless it was lower and the service department lied to you. I would check it every couple of weeks, it shouldn't consume any oil.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That was my first thought too, but thinking back I had driven just as aggressive before and the issue did not happen. Wonder if it's eating the oil somewhere and it finally got low enough to starve the oil pickup on acceleration.
Hi aguilarf,

You might want to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership; locate some options near you by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com If this issue comes back, send me a PM with the details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll push this up the chain for you.

Crystal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi aguilarf,

You might want to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership; locate some options near you by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com If this issue comes back, send me a PM with the details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll push this up the chain for you.

Crystal
Thanks for the help Crystal, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so this strange issue resurfaces at 10736 miles. I am 200 miles overdue for my second oil change. Got on it to accelerate and pass on the highway today. RPMs went from about 2000 to around 4500ish ad then power completely cut out the dash chime was dinging and the low oil pressure warning came on in the middle of the dash. Soon as I let off the gas, power came back and the warning went away. This was on a straight piece of level hwy. Thoughts??

·
Vendor
7,254 Posts
Ok, so this strange issue resurfaces at 10736 miles. I am 200 miles overdue for my second oil change. Got on it to accelerate and pass on the highway today. RPMs went from about 2000 to around 4500ish ad then power completely cut out the dash chime was dinging and the low oil pressure warning came on in the middle of the dash. Soon as I let off the gas, power came back and the warning went away. This was on a straight piece of level hwy. Thoughts??
How does your bell housing look? See if you have anything coming from there. Rear main seal perhaps? Something is 100% very seriously wrong and I recommend not driving the truck st all. Unless you are not worried about warranty...then drive it till you break it ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No obvious visible signs of leakage on the underbody and nothing on the ground in my parking area. The truck runs fine otherwise and is my daily driver. Could it need a baffled oil pan to keep the oil in the pickup area?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts