F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched everywhere and cannot find anything, does anyone know the specs on the factory in tank fuel pump?

I came across this direct drop in that’s made by Holley and wondering if it would be a beneficial upgrade over the factory one?

Holley Performance F-150 Drop-In Fuel Module - 255 LPH T543759 (11-14 3.5L EcoBoost F-150)

I know fullrace / walbro have a 450/455 upgrade but it’s not as easy as just dropping in. Wondering what everyone’s take is on upgrading the i tank pump.

from my understanding it should get rid of some of the high rpm drop as well as the mid rpm drop these trucks see too.

·
Vendor
7,253 Posts
I’ve searched everywhere and cannot find anything, does anyone know the specs on the factory in tank fuel pump?

I came across this direct drop in that’s made by Holley and wondering if it would be a beneficial upgrade over the factory one?

Holley Performance F-150 Drop-In Fuel Module - 255 LPH T543759 (11-14 3.5L EcoBoost F-150)

I know fullrace / walbro have a 450/455 upgrade but it’s not as easy as just dropping in. Wondering what everyone’s take is on upgrading the i tank pump.

from my understanding it should get rid of some of the high rpm drop as well as the mid rpm drop these trucks see too.
Feel free to give me a call or email we sell a double pump setup but has to be used with return fuel system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel free to give me a call or email we sell a double pump setup but has to be used with return fuel system

Hi Ryan,
Yeah I was talking to @Blown F-150 and I’m pretty sure he is running your setup on his motor from you too. I think for a truck with factory turbos and stock hpfp that would be way more than I require wouldn’t it?

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
There have been a few folks that have stayed returnless and upgraded in tank pumps, and have split the line at the pump.

With adding a return line, you are also preventing that from happening.

In your case, you probably have no need for dual pumps.

·
Vendor
7,253 Posts
There have been a few folks that have stayed returnless and upgraded in tank pumps, and have split the line at the pump.

With adding a return line, you are also preventing that from happening.

In your case, you probably have no need for dual pumps.

Agreed!

One other note is that we tap the trigger wire for the pump 2 signal so no staging woth hobbs switches for us and those pos things failing. We also have changed somethings up, so we only use about 10 feet of hose and we use two bulkhead fittings feeding pumps out of fuel hat, while leaving oem fuel line as the return

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agreed!

I have the Holley pump and it works fine with my 93 and E30 tunes from Torrie. Had to replace my pump after LET butchered it with a Walbro install. If you want a Walbro cheap I have one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh good to know, do you know if it performs better than the stock one? similar to the Walbro one? I know it only does 255lph compared to the 455 but curious how it does!
Does it still have the point the in the rpm where the pump cant supply the HPFP with enough pressure still?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your stock HPFP would be overrun well before your low pressure side pump.
From what I have read the stock low pressure cant provide the high pressure in the mid rpm and then again at peak rpm so there is benefit in doing the low pressure first from what I have seen/read on here.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I would chat more with Ryan aka @Blown F-150 . He's done a lot of work in this area with his own truck and he will be able to guide you the best.

If/when I need to increase my fuel pressure, I'll be chatting with Ryan for his opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would chat more with Ryan aka @Blown F-150 . He's done a lot of work in this area with his own truck and he will be able to guide you the best.

If/when I need to increase my fuel pressure, I'll be chatting with Ryan for his opinion.
Haha lucky for me and unfortunately for him, he lives just down the road so I’ll for sure be bugging him lots 😂

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Haha lucky for me and unfortunately for him, he lives just down the road so I’ll for sure be bugging him lots 😂
I've met Ryan a couple of times when he was still in the Lower Mainland. And I hope to get out to Cow Town sometime this spring to meet him again.

Ryan is a great guy. He's a wealth of knowledge on these trucks and what is needed to get more power when you exceed the stock parts. Best of all, Ryan is willing share his knowledge.

·
Registered
177 Posts
From what I have read the stock low pressure cant provide the high pressure in the mid rpm and then again at peak rpm so there is benefit in doing the low pressure first from what I have seen/read on here.
I upgraded because the low pressure can't provide the high pressure at all with my setup, it's even worse with an XDI pump.

I don't know what the stock low pressure pump is, but if it's the same as my 17, that pump had zero issues making almost 500 whp on an ethanol mix.

You need to push more voltage to the pump, and i'm not talking about a boost-a-pump.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You need to check your Fuel Pump Duty Cycles, Commanded Fuel Pump Pressure and Actual Fuel Rail Pressure. And compare that your your AFR Lambda.

If your AFR Lambda is indicating lean (higher than .86), your Actual Fuel Rail Pressure is low while the commanded is high, and your Fuel Pump Duty Cycles are low (under .75), the problem is your HPFP not your Low Pressure Fuel Pump.

Most of the discussion of changing your low pressure fuel pump was back in the old days when there was no HPFP upgrade available. People making higher HP over stock (usually due to bigger turbos or high Ethanol content), were swapping the low pressure fuel pumps because, there was no other alternative. And usually the low pressure fuel pump wasn't the problem, it was the HPFP.

Do some datalogs in WOT. Typically, the 2-3 upshift is the leanest, just after you are in 3rd. If your Fuel Pump Duty Cycles are under .75, but your AFR is showing you are running lean (higher than .86 lambda) then your LPFP is fine and it's your HPFP that's the problem.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
PS: You could be like me ... my low pressure fuel pump can't keep up at the high rpms and is maxed out. And my High Pressure Fuel Pump can't deliver enough fuel when upshifted into 3rd in WOT and the rpms aren't fast enough to make the HPFP deliver the fuel it's commanded.

My situation is common for Gen 1 3.5 users trying to make more power. The LPFP maxes out at high rpms, and HPFP maxes out at low rpms (all WOT).

Do some datalogs and monitor all your fueling pids.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I decided to bite the bullet myself and get both the LPFP and HPFP.

There is a new E85 station in Aldergrove BC, close to my father (who visit often). Also, I have a bunch of Jerry Cans to bring a bunch home (and mix for the next couple of months).

I want to play with ethanol but both pumps were insufficient and needed to be upgraded. It was one of the major obstacles stopping me from installing my GT Turbos ... fueling (or lack of it).

Now, that is going to be resolve.

But whether I want to burn E30+ or just normal gas w/ GT Turbos (or a little of both :sneaky:); both my fuel pumps were holding me back.

I hope to have that limitation resolved in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I decided to bite the bullet myself and get both the LPFP and HPFP.

There is a new E85 station in Aldergrove BC, close to my father (who visit often). Also, I have a bunch of Jerry Cans to bring a bunch home (and mix for the next couple of months).

I want to play with ethanol but both pumps were insufficient and needed to be upgraded. It was one of the major obstacles stopping me from installing my GT Turbos ... fueling (or lack of it).

Now, that is going to be resolve.

But whether I want to burn E30+ or just normal gas w/ GT Turbos (or a little of both :sneaky:); both my fuel pumps were holding me back.

I hope to have that limitation resolved in the next couple of weeks.
How much power were you making that you were out of lpfp and hpfp.

I kinda wonder if i can sneak under the radar due to altitude. Im only making stockish HP(37 lbs/min) here even on a 91 tune. GT’s MIGHT get me to 50 lbs which is still low 400’s to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts

I kinda wonder if i can sneak under the radar due to altitude. Im only making stockish HP(37 lbs/min) here even on a 91 tune. GT’s MIGHT get me to 50 lbs which is still low 400’s to the wheel.
I would be surprised if you could hit 50#/min with GT's at your altitude. I was pushing them at 4000ft and saw a peak of 44.75. Same set up made 52#/min at sea level.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Well, I dyno'd at 372 RWHP on a Mustang Dyno, and the latest tune is over .5 sec quicker from 20-100 mph from the datalog I did just prior to my dyno session.

I was also running E30 and it was an honest E30 (based on actual ethanol content). Not "assumed E30" based on E85 having actually E85. Mine tested at E67.5.

The E30 definitely cured all my Knock Problems, and actually looked like it might handle a bit more spark advance. My total spark advance was running between 11-12 and even had some small -KR left.

@Blown F-150 and Torrie McPhail also reviewed my datalogs. Even before they replied back, I saw the problems with the pumps (especially the HPFP) in my datalogs. It was getting the HPFP and LPFP that was the obstacle from installing my GT and manifolds.

Unfortunately, it is based on the new tranny recall strategy installed by the dealership on an unrelated repair, in spite of my request to not reflash my computer. And with the new Livelink, there are new limitations on using Configs. I had to recreate a new config from the PCM/Livewire/Laptop ... and there are many pids not available yet.

But there were enough pids that we could see I was starving for fuel (Low Pressure on the high rpms just before the 2-3 upshift, and HPFP on the low rpms after the 2-3 upshift).

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Also, now that I am getting a crash course in fuel pumps' performance; I realize some trucks may have better pumps than others (manufacturer tolerance).

This might even be the reason some guys toasted their motors when getting a "hot tune" from some tuners. They possibly didn't check the fuel pumps' flow combined with the AFR.

If a truck had slightly weaker pumps than normal (and not being monitored), it could cause the truck to go too lean and then 'boom'.

All of us @Blown F-150, Torrie McPhail and myself all saw my AFR Lambda being dangerously lean...leaner that I would ever want to take it. Since then (while I wait to get my pumps and have them installed) have backed off to E25 and reduced the boost (temporarily) to bring my AFR Lambda back to the .82-.84 range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts