F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a rattle coming from what seems like the drivers side (front). It only happens at 15-30 mph over rough terrain, speed bumps, brick roads...etc.

I noticed it from day one, seemed to get less noticeable over time.

I just installed a leveling kit last week, figured it would be a good time to check everything. Everything suspension wise is solid, no play in anything, everything is tight.

After the level it is just like it was day one. No shakes no wobbles drives straight as an arrow (had an alignment) the tech saw nothing out of the ordinary, drove it. Said it felt normal to him. But I still get that rattle at slow speeds. Sounds kinda like the spring is rattling against something? I know I have no idea what it could be.

Just curious if anyone has had any similar issues, and has any remedies? Like it's just the strut settling in, etc.

I could take it in to the ford garage, but would prefer not to return everything to stock, if it is an easy fix or something I can do myself.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, incase anyone has this same problem in the future.

It was the drivers side sway bar link pin. The upper nut was a little under torqued. Apparently enough to make my rattling sound.

I did hit a bit of a snag when I put the impact on the lower link pin nut and snapped it off. My impact was set at 600 ft lbs (step brother borrowed it... And I forgot to turn it back down when I went to use it. Lesson learned, fortunately it was only a 50$ link pin and not something more costly. Oh yeah, and the only place that had the pins and happened to be open on a Saturday was about 2 hrs away, a bit of a bummer.

Just figured I would throw this out incase any one else comes across this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What torque spec did you tighten them to? I have a rattle that I can't track down that sounds just like what you're describing. It's been driving me nuts.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
The link pins are 66ft lbs, my impact only goes down to 100 so I set it at 100 and just didn't leave it on the nut super long. The problem with using a torque wench is the link pin bolts fit into a ball socket and the bolt will spin with the lock nut, so I used the impact so the bolt would not spin.

I would check the upper and lower lock nuts. I only took off the bottom during install, but apparently taking the bottom off and taking the tension off of it must have been enough to loosen the top nut.

It was seriously no more than 3/4 turn and now the rattle is gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm gonna check it out after lunch today. I hope it gets rid of the rattle. Sounds just like yours.

Well, it didn't get rid of my rattle. So damn annoying.

I had an annoying noise coming from god knows where and I just decided to get in my bed of my truck and start rocking the truck back and forth maybe something would come up.. sure enough it is the truck Bed LATCHES.. no **** greased them up and it's good. I guess the truck bed would jump around on bumps and cause the latches to make a little squeaking noise... so grease em up..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.