F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and attempting to install 1" leveling spacers on my front struts and need to know the lower strut bolt nut size. Do any of you know what size socket this will take? Do you think I Will need to remove the lower strut bolt to get these spacers in?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Yes likely you will. I know on my 2" kit there was no way to do it without removing the whole strut.

Pretty sure it's 1 3/16 or 30mm. Need a deep socket on a gun. Needs to see huge torque to break loose or use a long breaker bar and pipe attached.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know a 1 1/8" socket is too small. Looks more like 1 1/4". I will have to find a hardware store that will let me try each before I buy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Don't forget to torque it when done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone, it helps a lot. This is my first post.

On my 2012 F150 EB the lower strut nut size is 30mm and the head size is 29mm.

I had to cut one of the bottom bolts of the strut on both sides of the strut with a sawzall because it was seized on the strut. I had to remove the cv axle because it was in the way. Make sure to throw a towel over your open IWE so you don’t get debris in it. The replacement bolt size needed is 20mm x 100mm it uses the coarse thread pitch of 2.5 it has to be a grade 10.9 or 12.9 the 10.9 grade is similar to grade 8 fractional. The original bolt has an extra 10mm on it but a 100mm in length will work fine.

The drivers side seemed easier to me than passenger. On the passenger the anti lock brake sensor has to be routed to hang with no pressure on it. Undo the sway bar about an inch and half to give yourself more freedom to swing the old strut out and new in. I smeared anti seize on top of the new strut to prevent corrosion in between the body and strut. I watched an Autozone video on YouTube that pretty much has all the info you need.

It helps to have a 1/2” cordless impact also, something that can throw at least 450 ft. Lbs of torque. Make sure to put a jack under the LCA so you can put vehicle weight on the 20mm strut bolt when you tighten the nut, otherwise you could damage the rubber in the bushing if it is hanging free.

20mm bolt is approximately .777 thousandths in size. A 3/4” bolt will be about .030 smaller than that. Can you use a 3/4” bolt? That’s your call, you’ll need a 4” grade 8 partial thread bolt and locking nut.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I hope you put the CV and IWE back together properly. By rotating the CV and locking the IWE in before you tightened the small nut on the CV axle. If you didn't you more than likely cracked the IWE.
Thanks for all the info everyone, it helps a lot. This is my first post.

On my 2012 F150 EB the lower strut nut size is 30mm and the head size is 29mm.

I had to cut one of the bottom bolts of the strut on both sides of the strut with a sawzall because it was seized on the strut. I had to remove the cv axle because it was in the way. Make sure to throw a towel over your open IWE so you don’t get debris in it. The replacement bolt size needed is 20mm x 100mm it uses the coarse thread pitch of 2.5 it has to be a grade 10.9 or 12.9 the 10.9 grade is similar to grade 8 fractional. The original bolt has an extra 10mm on it but a 100mm in length will work fine.

The drivers side seemed easier to me than passenger. On the passenger the anti lock brake sensor has to be routed to hang with no pressure on it. Undo the sway bar about an inch and half to give yourself more freedom to swing the old strut out and new in. I smeared anti seize on top of the new strut to prevent corrosion in between the body and strut. I watched an Autozone video on YouTube that pretty much has all the info you need.

It helps to have a 1/2” cordless impact also, something that can throw at least 450 ft. Lbs of torque. Make sure to put a jack under the LCA so you can put vehicle weight on the 20mm strut bolt when you tighten the nut, otherwise you could damage the rubber in the bushing if it is hanging free.

20mm bolt is approximately .777 thousandths in size. A 3/4” bolt will be about .030 smaller than that. Can you use a 3/4” bolt? That’s your call, you’ll need a 4” grade 8 partial thread bolt and locking nut.
Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you put the CV and IWE back together properly. By rotating the CV and locking the IWE in before you tightened the small nut on the CV axle. If you didn't you more than likely cracked the IWE.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Yes I did. For reference you need to put a layer of wheel bearing grease on all surfaces of the CV, carefully insert it, attach the UCA at least with a nut, go back to the CV and pull it towards you and at the same time slowly rotate the wheel hub until the hub locks with the axle, then pull the CV towards you with a bit more force and it will slide into place, then you can put the small nut on and torque to spec. The axle must rotate with the hub when in 2wd and the engine off.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Hey can this work on a F150 2005 as well
Not sure if they're the same or not. Not hard to get under it and measure it. But I'd assume it's probably the same they used the same set up from 04-13.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts