F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Listen, they used to pull that on corvette owners too. It is simply not necessary. Might be OK for towing a lot but really unless you really plan to abuse your little six banger your just throwing good money out the ole window.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Listen, they used to pull that on corvette owners too. It is simply not necessary. Might be OK for towing a lot but really unless you really plan to abuse your little six banger your just throwing good money out the ole window.
It helped me quite a bit, and the intercooler helped even more.
I was seeing extremely high water temps on my truck, and that was just with dune spirited driving on the highway this summer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
It helped me quite a bit, and the intercooler helped even more.
I was seeing extremely high water temps on my truck, and that was just with dune spirited driving on the highway this summer.

I'll agree, while there may not be any "performance gains" so to speak of there is definite decrease in coolant temps which is always good in my opinion. OEMs are running engines hotter these days to help with emissions compliancy. It can also help a tuned engine pushing the limits of the fuel octane to the max before detonation/knock occurs. Win-win in my book for $65.

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Ha, ha, ha ...Yeah that was the "big trick" in the early 1990s.

A bunch of friends & I did a lot of testing of cooler T-Stats, performance AND retuning the ECM to find each's optimum performance. We discovered that if you tuned your engine accordingly, a cooler T-stat did nothing but make your heater run colder in winter. In fact, one person (Bruce Plecan aka Grumpy) did more tests that showed an engine actually makes more power when running hotter (200°F) than colder (doing his best "cold tune" vs his best "hot tune").

I never found ANY noticeable difference between a hot t-stat vs a cold t-stat (other than the heater), and I tried & tested 160°F, 170°F, 180°F and 200°F. At the track, the only "trick" to cool down that seem to do anything was "putting ICE on the intake" between runs.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
If you check out the post of times from EcoboostPowerParts ... you'll notice [email protected] did a number of tests with his 4WD SCREW 3.55. He did various modifications and posted his quickest times with each mod.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...-4-mile-times-found-another-site-i-think.html

One of his tests compared his Livernois 93 Tune with a Livernois 93 Tune and a 170°F T-stat (I would assume the tune was optimized for the 170°F T-stat as well).

With the 170°F T-Stat he did [email protected] while with just the 93 Octane Tune (but no 170°F T-stat) he did [email protected].

To put that in perspective, at 100mph you are travelling 146.67Feet/sec. The 7/100th difference = 10.3 feet at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Remember, that is with Livernois' 93 Octane Tune most likely optimized for the 170°F T-stat specifically for [email protected]. This isn't a "bone stock" Ecoboost with just a 170°F T-stat installed. In that case, the only thing you will feel is your heater not working properly in winter.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you check out the post of times from EcoboostPowerParts ... you'll notice [email protected] did a number of tests with his 4WD SCREW 3.55. He did various modifications and posted his quickest times with each mod.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6...-4-mile-times-found-another-site-i-think.html

One of his tests compared his Livernois 93 Tune with a Livernois 93 Tune and a 170°F T-stat (I would assume the tune was optimized for the 170°F T-stat as well).

With the 170°F T-Stat he did [email protected] while with just the 93 Octane Tune (but no 170°F T-stat) he did [email protected].

To put that in perspective, at 100mph you are travelling 146.67Feet/sec. The 7/100th difference = 10.3 feet at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Remember, that is with Livernois' 93 Octane Tune most likely optimized for the 170°F T-stat specifically for [email protected] This isn't a "bone stock" Ecoboost with just a 170°F T-stat installed. In that case, the only thing you will feel is your heater not working properly in winter.
Exactly, I am sure that truck was tuned for a 170 T. My comments revolved around a stock tuned truck with a 170T or even lower T stat. Actually many motors perform better at a higher operating temperature. My vette dynoed better with a 190 Tstat than it did with a 160T stat which was all the rave in the early 2000.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Exactly, I am sure that truck was tuned for a 170 T. My comments revolved around a stock tuned truck with a 170T or even lower T stat. Actually many motors perform better at a higher operating temperature. My vette dynoed better with a 190 Tstat than it did with a 160T stat which was all the rave in the early 2000.
C4 or C5? I have a particular fondness for both (who am I fooling, I like them all). But I would love to find a pristine, low mileage C5 Roadster to keep as my "Senior Citizen" toy.

Low temp T-Stats are even more controversial. I just say "Go for it ... in fact, consider removing your T-stat completely for the maximum effect".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
There are a lot of other things I could do with 60 bucks. I would think that since our trucks are not built to be sports cars like the corvette it may not do much other than make your heat less efficient in cooler weather.

SPPD

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
There are a lot of other things I could do with 60 bucks. I would think that since our trucks are not built to be sports cars like the corvette it may not do much other than make your heat less efficient in cooler weather.

SPPD
log your water temps in traffic, you might think different.
It was getting hot enough that the truck was pulling timing due to spark knock.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts

The biggest problem with a low temperature T-Stat in an "untuned/bone stock engine" is your Fan need to be set to come on at the correct temp.

Having a 170°F T-stat in traffic without having your fan speed adjusted just causes the engine to continue to get hot until the fans finally kick in around 220° (or wherever the stock setting is) ... then they turn off when the "lower limit is hit" (typically 190°F). So the low temp T-stat does nothing when you want it to do the most (sitting in traffic).

Reactions: bk117wrench

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The biggest problem with a low temperature T-Stat in an "untuned/bone stock engine" is your Fan need to be set to come on at the correct temp.

Having a 170°F T-stat in traffic without having your fan speed adjusted just causes the engine to continue to get hot until the fans finally kick in around 220° (or wherever the stock setting is) ... then they turn off when the "lower limit is hit" (typically 190°F). So the low temp T-stat does nothing when you want it to do the most (sitting in traffic).
My tune was adjusted to make full benefit of the stat.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

The ambient temps in Houston are quite different than here. Let me revise my previous post to say in Hotter climates the mod might be worth it.

SPPD

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The ambient temps in Houston are quite different than here. Let me revise my previous post to say in Hotter climates the mod might be worth it.

SPPD
You spelled Houston wrong...it's H O T A S H E L L...lol

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You spelled Houston wrong...it's H O T A S H E L L...lol

Haha I just looked at my spelling of Houston for 5 minutes trying to figure out how I mis-spelled it.

Wow am I dumb!

SPPD

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Haha I just looked at my spelling of Houston for 5 minutes trying to figure out how I mis-spelled it.

Wow am I dumb!

SPPD
Sorry bout that....was trying to make a funny.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
My tune was adjusted to make full benefit of the stat.

Hot climate, mild winters and tune adjusted ... sure go for it if you want.

Colder climate, cold winters, or tune not adjusted ... Been there ... power gains minimal at best.

The real power is getting those intake temps down ... that's where I would spend my money.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hot climate, mild winters and tune adjusted ... sure go for it if you want.

Colder climate, cold winters, or tune not adjusted ... waste of money.

I've just experienced the real power is getting your intake temps down ... not the engine block. Sort of like using a sledge hammer on a finishing nail.
I have an ATP intercooler too...

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have an ATP intercooler too...

Yes, I did notice that. Hopefully others will too. That is on "my list" of mods, when the time comes. I've debated about removing my "Intercooler Grille" so I could pickup a rock.

My truck really loves the colder weather we are now having. Much more than me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
C4 or C5? I have a particular fondness for both (who am I fooling, I like them all). But I would love to find a pristine, low mileage C5 Roadster to keep as my "Senior Citizen" toy.

Low temp T-Stats are even more controversial. I just say "Go for it ... in fact, consider removing your T-stat completely for the maximum effect".
My vette is a C5. Has a built 434 ci motor with twin 76 Turbonetics turbos. On pump gas (97) puts out right at 980hp to the wheels. On 104 octane race gas at level three of boost will put down close to 1200 HP to the wheels. It is really fun to drive on the street as long as you respect it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts