F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Yay! One of my favorite subjects to be a nerd about. Admins, thanks for the added forum section!!

OK, I'll start. Some of this has been posted before, but since it's had to find in one thread with 10,000 posts, here is some "beginner" information that might be helpful to some guys when searching for the "best" or "brightest" lights, whether it be for headlights, fogs, reverse, interior, off-road, whatever. This can be a thread about what Lumens actually are, and why that's not the only factor in determining the light that you want/need for a particular application.

Lumens, Lux, and Candela (or candle power):

Lumens -

Screen shot 2014-04-23 at 1.38.15 PM.png

Lux -

Screen shot 2014-04-23 at 1.36.35 PM.png

Candela -

Screen shot 2014-04-23 at 1.37.13 PM.png

Let's get these straight and then move on to color temp :cool:

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice info Vol. A lot of this information gets asked all the time. One of our most common walk-in questions is about Kelvin Temps
Thanks. Hopefully we can share helpful info to help answer those common questions and misunderstandings. I learned very quickly (by personal experience) that if you go higher than about 3200-3400K on a white halogen, you start to lose lux VERY quickly.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a couple of decent color temp charts just for reference.

KelvinScale.jpg

LED_kelvin.jpg

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410321672.748739.jpg to complement my already piaa extreme white low beams on my boost & Korean vehicles

Sent from my white iPad 3 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
So let's put the types of light measurements in laments terms.

Lumen: The amount of light a given source outputs with no optic. I.E. Bulb/diode output.

Lux: The intensity of an entire focused beam at a given distance. (Great for judging optic performance.)

Candela Power: The intensity of a focused beam's hot spot at a set distance. (Used mainly to measure the effectiveness of spot style lighting.)

Color Temperature: This is a measure of the part of the color spectrum a light source produces. (Getting the correct color temperatures for a particular use is essential to lighting performance.)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts