F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the catback which seems to be a 5x8 oval muffler 18 inches long and it is 3 inches pipe size from the resonator.

Anybody swap put stock muffler for Maganflow 3in/3in 22inch length 30 overall length part number 12579 or 14579 which is a 5x11 muffler or 12279 which is a 5x8 oval muffler? There is also a 30 inch length round 6 inch muffler they make part number 12641 or polished at 14641.

I am thinking of cutting off resonator and stock muffler then using one of the above mufflers that are longer to keep the rasp down and am looking for a little more volume and bass tone but not quite sure which way to go so I was looking for opinions or to see if anyone has done one of the exact mufflers I posted above.

Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Interested as well

·
Registered
254 Posts
I looked at the catback which seems to be a 5x8 oval muffler 18 inches long and it is 3 inches pipe size from the resonator.

Anybody swap put stock muffler for Maganflow 3in/3in 22inch length 30 overall length part number 12579 or 14579 which is a 5x11 muffler or 12279 which is a 5x8 oval muffler? There is also a 30 inch length round 6 inch muffler they make part number 12641 or polished at 14641.

I am thinking of cutting off resonator and stock muffler then using one of the above mufflers that are longer to keep the rasp down and am looking for a little more volume and bass tone but not quite sure which way to go so I was looking for opinions or to see if anyone has done one of the exact mufflers I posted above.

Thanks!
Do you have a mid pipe/y pipe?
My setup is MBRP SS off-road y pipe. Stock resonator delete. with 3in/3out Magnaflow SS round muffler#14719 with a 3.5 MBRP turn down dump under the bed. To me it sound perfect. Nice deep tone. Non raspy. Idel and cruising speeds is not crazy loud but you know you have some type of aftermarket muffler. I love it. Also you still here your turbo spools. I think if you have the stock y pipe your turbo spools with be alittle softer.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got the 18" Magnaflow with Solo catted downpipes. Sounds great, deep tone, no drone. I did the Magnaflow first, before the downpipes and the tone was slightly higher but still pleasant.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well If anyone else can contribute, I am looking at keeping everything stock except changing out the resonator and muffler to add a little sound and flow a little better. What I was trying to accomplish was my own version of a catback since they are mostly 3inch from y pipe back and different muffler. I was not looking to go crazy loud on sound since its a v6 but add some deep bass tone and hear the turbo whistle a smidge more without being raspy or crackly. So i was thinking of a long ass magnaflow 3 inch in/out muffler.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I installed a Flowmaster dBX muffler with a 3" straight pipe in place of the resonator to the stock Y-pipe. I kept the stock tail pipe. The dBX is a straight through using Flowmaster's laminar flow technology - ideal for turbos. It definitely uncorked the exhaust at less than half the price of the cheapest cat-back.

Nice rumble at normal throttle, no drone and with my Unleashed tune, it definitely helped over the stock setup. And even with the stock tune, it greatly reduces the turbo lag (I'm stock as I plan to take it in for Service shortly).

Here's a link to Flowmaster's website. Oh, it's also stainless steel too.

Flowmaster dBX SERIES LAMINAR FLOW MUFFLERS

And if you want to consider a custom exhaust larger than 3", consider the Pro Series version. I may do that in the future after I install my catted Full Race DP.

Flowmaster PRO SERIES MUFFLERS - Laminar Flow Technology

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I installed a Flowmaster dBX muffler with a 3" straight pipe in place of the resonator to the stock Y-pipe. I kept the stock tail pipe. The dBX is a straight through using Flowmaster's laminar flow technology - ideal for turbos. It definitely uncorked the exhaust at less than half the price of the cheapest cat-back.

Nice rumble at normal throttle, no drone and with my Unleashed tune, it definitely helped over the stock setup. And even with the stock tune, it greatly reduces the turbo lag (I'm stock as I plan to take it in for Service shortly).

And if you want to consider a custom exhaust larger than 3", consider the Pro Series version. I may do that in the future after I install my catted Full Race DP.

I am considering this path as there are limited catback options for 126 wheel base. Did you have someone weld everything or have 3 in inner diameter to "slip on" and use clamps?

The only down side is hacked up stock exhaust so cannot return to stock if you decide to sell.

Your flowmaster link says the inside is 409, 409 still has iron in it. I hope it lasts for you. The nick name for flowmaster has been "rust master" in my book, maybe they have upgraded over the years. Use to take off flow masters and they sounded like one of those rain stick things.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Got any videos/sound clips?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I am considering this path as there are limited catback options for 126 wheel base. Did you have someone weld everything or have 3 in inner diameter to "slip on" and use clamps?

The only down side is hacked up stock exhaust so cannot return to stock if you decide to sell.

Your flowmaster link says the inside is 409, 409 still has iron in it. I hope it lasts for you. The nick name for flowmaster has been "rust master" in my book, maybe they have upgraded over the years. Use to take off flow masters and they sounded like one of those rain stick things.
No, I just welded it as I am now committed to owning the truck a long time. Probably a minimum 10 years. I have a better custom plan in the future I want to discuss with my Muffler Guy. I would like to explore true duals from the DPs into a straight-through dual inlet/outlet muffler that has an x-pipe inside the muffler itself. Then duals out the side.

Most stainless catbacks I've looked at seem to be T409 as well. I think only Stainless Works is T304.

To the other poster, I can't find anyone who will drive with me to take a video. Right now, my truck is stock tuned (about to go in for Service). I noticed how the exhaust note changed from when I was tuned. I would like to capture both (someone sitting behind me and capturing the speedo too) ... But I need to find someone willing to take a ride with me.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
aFe also makes a 304ss catback exhaust for the ecoboost F-150's, in case anyone did not know ;)
Thank you for the clarification about aFe products ... I believe that if a person is going to splurge on a stainless steel exhaust, then they should pay a little more and get a high quality stainless steel such as T304.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but....

I also considered many of the exhaust systems. I liked the aFe and Corsa systems the best. I have made one that rivals the corsa I believe. Cost me about $120.

Its Dynomax 17674 Super Turbo Muffler. It is 3" in and 2.5" Dual out to 3" turn downs (thought they may sound better than the 2.5's I bought initially and are definitely constructed better). I clamped the turndowns as I am undecided about the dumps and wanted an easy swap if I decide to do rear exit. It does sound nice and deep, working on an exhaust video that has more than just parked slow revs.

**Also, I am not an expert welder. I was making sure to leave plenty of stick out on my wire because that is my last tip and didn't feel like risking it and driving around with no exhaust for a week while I located more tips.

·
Vendor
7,054 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but.... I also considered many of the exhaust systems. I liked the aFe and Corsa systems the best. I have made one that rivals the corsa I believe. Cost me about $120. Its Dynomax 17674 Super Turbo Muffler. It is 3" in and 2.5" Dual out to 3" turn downs (thought they may sound better than the 2.5's I bought initially and are definitely constructed better). I clamped the turndowns as I am undecided about the dumps and wanted an easy swap if I decide to do rear exit. It does sound nice and deep, working on an exhaust video that has more than just parked slow revs. **Also, I am not an expert welder. I was making sure to leave plenty of stick out on my wire because that is my last tip and didn't feel like risking it and driving around with no exhaust for a week while I located more tips.
I may be able to help you out what type of gas/wire you using? What machine?

2014 FX4 Appearance Pckg (Black) , LET 93 Tuned, LET Cutout (coming soon) 3.55 gearing, UPR MEGA Catch Can, SOLO Cattless O/R Down Pipe, AFE Charge Pipe, S&B CAI, Stage 3 Raptor LED Grille Lights, Stage 3 LED Reverse Bulbs, Recon White Lightning Tailgate LED Light Bar, LED Fog Bulbs (MAK)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
No, I just welded it as I am now committed to owning the truck a long time. Probably a minimum 10 years. I have a better custom plan in the future I want to discuss with my Muffler Guy. I would like to explore true duals from the DPs into a straight-through dual inlet/outlet muffler that has an x-pipe inside the muffler itself. Then duals out the side.

Most stainless catbacks I've looked at seem to be T409 as well. I think only Stainless Works is T304.

To the other poster, I can't find anyone who will drive with me to take a video. Right now, my truck is stock tuned (about to go in for Service). I noticed how the exhaust note changed from when I was tuned. I would like to capture both (someone sitting behind me and capturing the speedo too) ... But I need to find someone willing to take a ride with me.
Full race, magnaflow, certain Corsa and stainless works on stage 3 website are 304. Only the stainless works can fit on 126 wheel base.

Im thinking if i use the complete stock 3 inch from exit of muffler to tail pipe, buy my own muffler and potentially resonator, it will only need very little 3inch stainless from an exhaust shop being short wheel base. That should still save money over a cat back.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Full race, magnaflow, certain Corsa and stainless works on stage 3 website are 304. Only the stainless works can fit on 126 wheel base.

Im thinking if i use the complete stock 3 inch from exit of muffler to tail pipe, buy my own muffler and potentially resonator, it will only need very little 3inch stainless from an exhaust shop being short wheel base. That should still save money over a cat back.
Consider a straight pipe instead of a resonator. I have no drone with my muffler only and it isn't that loud (with my stock downpipes for now). If you don't like it, you can always add a resonator later if you find it needs one.

I just picked up a set of Full Race T321 Catted Downpipes (along with some other parts) that I'm planning to install once spring arrives. I must install outside...garage isn't big enough ... also I need to get some time off from work.

Then I'll reconsider my exhaust (again). I really like the idea of duals exiting before the passenger rear wheel.

1 - 20 of 441 Posts
About this Discussion
440 Replies
43 Participants
torchred
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing